Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris-what must I buy?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-what-must-i-buy-241533/)

kate Jul 20th, 2002 08:53 AM

Paris-what must I buy??

London has the Lush stores which are wonderful, what is a must buy in Paris--other than the obvious "souvenier" stuff. Thanks.

shopper Jul 20th, 2002 10:14 AM

Longchamp bags!

ShopperII Jul 20th, 2002 02:53 PM

Herve Chapelier bags, table top at Diner en Ville(corner rue de Bac and rue de Varenne), also,Laure Japy,(rue de Bac).

lisa Jul 20th, 2002 03:05 PM

I second the Herve Chepalier and Longchamp bags -- they are about 40-50% the cost in the US.<BR><BR>Perfume seems to be another good choice, as is any french designer.

Kate Jul 20th, 2002 03:10 PM

Hi kate,I try to buy a Longchamp bag whenever I am in Paris,the price is about half that of Saks in NYC.<BR>Perfumes are always good, also,pretty lingerie at a small shop on the Left Bank that I forget the name of:( and posters! You can get them in wonderful poster shops and galleries on the Left Bank or along the Seine at the bookinistes.<BR>Scarves are a good idea also.<BR>Then there is tea from Mariage Freres as well as tea scented candles.<BR>and there are small places that I have found that sell rose potpourri that lasts forever and smells wonderful.One is right near the Church Madeleine.<BR>And cosmetics.ROC is so much cheaper there!<BR>Can you tell I like to shop?:O)<BR>Kate (also)

smelly Jul 20th, 2002 04:05 PM

what is the thing about Lush products. They seem to me to be an over-promoted fad. The bath ballistics are a sure route to a UTI..you can buy the same thing at Walgreens for about 1/4 the price if you really need the explosion of fizz.<BR><BR>There are so many wonderful French soaps and fragrances also English ones. try some of the olive oil soaps from Provence that are available at places like Olivier and Co.<BR><BR>L'Occitane is also wonderful<BR><BR>Let the gimicks lie

xxx Jul 20th, 2002 06:16 PM

I also think Lush is very overrated, very expensive, funny looking tiny soaps, bath melts with debris in them that clogs drains, some weird smells, and I just don't get it.

kathy Jul 20th, 2002 06:26 PM

Lush is nice, but of course there are other soaps and bath products that are nice also,maybe even nicer,more expensive and smell better.<BR>But I am sure there are many more people here that would like to turn a thread on what to buy in Paris into a I love Lush vs I hate Lush thread.<BR>right,Adam? and all you little x's out there?

Taylor Jul 20th, 2002 06:34 PM

Louis Vuitton bags and luggage, Christian Dior handbags, Longchamps, Hermes scarves and bags.

Scarlett Jul 20th, 2002 06:38 PM

Shoes on rue Dragon or at Galleries Lafayette.<BR>Prints/lithographs/posters at Gallerie Maeght on rue du Bac.<BR>Lingerie at Sabia Rose on rue Sts-Peres.<BR>Funky unique sweaters and knits at any of the boutiques in the Marais.<BR>Perfume,soap,Longchamp,Lancel,LV,Gucci, Prada.<BR>Chocolates *<BR>

Chris Jul 20th, 2002 06:41 PM

Please eat a nutella banana crepe for me!

Scarlett Jul 20th, 2002 06:46 PM

Oh -don't get me started on chocolate ! Lol~ somehow,Paris and chocolate are all mixed together in my mind, what is one without the other, and of course in that mix would be the vin rouge, the mousse au chocolate,Berthillon,foi gras,pate sandwiches! OK OK I'll stop:)

hmm Jul 20th, 2002 06:48 PM

There isn't chocolate in nutella is there? I seem to remember chocolate crepes,and nutella, could they be combined?

Chris Jul 20th, 2002 06:53 PM

Dear Hmm,<BR>No chocolate in Nutella but I love when they're combined in a crepe with bananas and powdered sugar. Reminds me of Paris everytime.

Brent Jul 20th, 2002 06:54 PM

&lt;&lt; OK OK I'll stop :) &gt;&gt;<BR>Promise? Even when using different monikers? Good!

PMS Ing Jul 20th, 2002 06:54 PM

Enough talk about chocolate and crepes people!

kate Jul 20th, 2002 07:07 PM

Relax Brent.

Brent Jul 20th, 2002 07:14 PM

Right-O dahling.

Elle Jul 20th, 2002 10:15 PM

Another vote for Longchamp handbags!<BR><BR>And go to the food section in Galeries Lafayette. You can buy French chocolates, cookies, jams, etc. which are really good and don't cost alot. They make excellent gifts also.

Francie Jul 21st, 2002 10:10 PM

Ah, French perfume, of course. And not to forget an Hermes' scarf. Or like my husband bought for me...a beautiful French designer "Celine" handbag. Ooo, la la. <BR>Good luck. Francie