Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris- What is the best arrondissement for nightlife? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-what-is-the-best-arrondissement-for-nightlife-256317/)

Jack Sep 6th, 2002 08:12 AM

Paris- What is the best arrondissement for nightlife?

We are a group of 4 young men (all 21) looking to travel from the UK to Paris in the next week or so. Whilst we are fully aware that Paris does not provide the all-out hedonism of such cities as Amsterdam and Barcelona, we would still like to partake in as much legal debauchery as the city may offer. I, the person who is writing this post, have already visited Paris, staying in the Montmatre/ Pigalle region. I found Montmatre charming but Pigalle rather tiresome. For all its brash posturing, it seemed to bask a little too much in its faded red light glory. It excited at first glance, but, on closer inspection, seemed to contain only 1 or 2 bars that did not solely rely on poles and dancing women to maintain their delapidated neon-drenched exteriors. We are not looking for chic wine bars or trendy nightclubs but rather areas of highly concentrated nightlife buzz- discos, bars, pubs etc. Somewhere that startles our senses without showing us its breasts.

clairobscur Sep 6th, 2002 09:39 AM

Check the rue de la Roquette and the surrounding streets in the Bastille area.<BR><BR><BR>Pigalle is a waste of space...

Jack Sep 6th, 2002 10:52 AM

Thanks for your reply Claire(?). <BR>I've just been reading your (and others) posts underneath the title "Marais or Quartier Latin"...and I've become slightly obsessed by the differences between the few areas that are most heavily discussed (Marais, Bastille, Latin Quarter and St Germain de Pres). I've read alot about the atmosphere at night in the Latin Quarter but I can't seem to find any information suggesting that are actually many pubs, clubs or bars there.Ideally we would go somewhere with both atmosphere and nightlife but from other posts there seems to be no such place. Could you give me a brief surmise/description/analysis of how the nightlife is set out in the Bastille region (if possible). Are there throngs of fun-seeking people or is it a relaxed trendy place. It pities me to say this, but one of the conditions under which I was allowed to choose Paris as our destination of choice was my guarantee that there would be buzzing nightlife.

francesca Sep 6th, 2002 11:18 AM

The nightlife in the Bastille area is probably best for the under 30 crowd, so it sounds ideal for you all. Rue Oberkampf has terrific nightlife, too. I would go here first. Pigalle has a big nightclub called La Locomotive which is popular with people in your age group. There are many fun bars and cafes in the Latin Quarter and St Germain, but this is more a place to hang out in cafes than go to dance clubs. Lots of jazz clubs near Chatelet in the 1rst. The super fashionable places are in the 8th, off the Champs Elysees. Time Out has a good guide that will cover this material and gets updated frequently. Have fun.

Jack Sep 6th, 2002 12:42 PM

Thanks Francesca. The "fun bars and cafes" in the Latin Quarter- are they more for the afternoon or evening. What time do things quieten down in this area? Also, our trip includes a Sunday and Monday night, are the bars still open late then? <BR>suggestions from others would be similarly appreciated.

francesca Sep 9th, 2002 12:15 PM

St Germain and the Latin Quarter are great both day and evening but I have no idea how late they go--I am tucked up by 11 most nights! This message will "top" your question so that you might get more answers. You are sure to have a great time, relax.

xxx Sep 9th, 2002 12:42 PM

Message: Try the 13th and the 9th arrond, these are up and coming. The Marais now feels parody hip (like Miami's South Beach, but without the sunshine), full of tourists telling each other how cool they are. During peak holidays, it's like a French speaking Benidorm. <BR><BR>A couple of places to investigate:<BR><BR>Pulp, 25 blvd. Poissonniere, 9th arrond, metro Grands Boulevards. Week-ends are for lesbians. You want to go Wednesday or Thursday night (opens at midnight), when you can mingle with the French music biz pros. The cover charge (not every night) is about $10. Most drinks $5-$10.<BR><BR>Rex Club, on 5 Blvd. Poissonniere, 2nd arrond. Only for Friday nights, to hear real techno. Get there early (11 pm) or you may get rejected at the door-it fills up fast. Friday cover around $15, drinks about $5-$10.<BR><BR>L'Atlantis, 32 Quai d'Austerlitz, 13th arrond., metro Quai de la Gare. France meets the Caribbean and everybody dances up against each other. Fun for all. Opens at 11 pm Friday, Sat., cover just under $20, drinks about $10. <BR><BR>If you or your mates want posh lap dances, go to Platinum, the new place opened by Cathy and David Guetta, major players on the UK and Ibiza club scene.<BR><BR>

Jack Sep 9th, 2002 05:19 PM

Thanks for your help. Those clubs sound great, if somewhat expensive. What you say about Marais is interesting though. Is the vibe the same in Bastille?<BR>

Jack Sep 10th, 2002 07:53 PM

New problem....no accomodation. Everything is either way over my budget or booked out.Looking for cheap Bastille/Marais accomodation. I've tried alot of the recommended ones- Castex, Du Marais etc...all booked out. Any suggestions on how to find websites for any other small hotels. I really don't care about the standard of hotel, I just want a room. It looks like youth hostels are the only option, and i don't fancy that.

Lesli Sep 10th, 2002 08:23 PM

Jack -<BR><BR>Try venere.com - you can type in your dates and it will show you what's available and at what rate (click on "only bookable hotels"; rate is for your total stay.) You can also narrow down by arrondisement - you'll probably want 11th or 4th, but 3rd or 12th would also be close.<BR>

Lesli Sep 10th, 2002 08:28 PM

Jack -<BR><BR>Another website to try which allows you to search by date and arrondisement: http://digital.france.com/hotels/<BR><BR>Bonne chance!

Also Sep 10th, 2002 08:40 PM

Although you can't search by date, this site might be useful for you as well: http://www.eurocheapo.com/paris/

Vincent Sep 11th, 2002 08:17 AM

Jack, this is a warning from a Frenchman living in London: the British definition of "hedonism" somewhat puzzles me. If I am not wrong, it means starting drinking about 5-6 PM until the end of pub hours, then crawling to a pub to drink more (illegal drugs come as an option), than eventually throwing up in the middle of Leicester square (or Sant Antonio, or Haya Napa). The "typical" London evening more often than not skips dinner, which is not an option, even among 20 something Parisians. Don't get me wrong, I'm not lecturing and being judgmental, but the Anglo-Saxon "let's get drunk" approach would seem out of place in Paris, so that you get your rythm right. This doesn't mean that the French don't drink, but it's more the sequence aperitif-dinner with wine- bar-club. Francesca is right, rue Oberkampf is by far the best place, also rue de la Roquette. If you read French, pick a copy of Nova Mag, a kind of super hip Time Out (also available on the net I guess). A good out of the way place is La Fleche d'Or cafe in the 20th, former train station with daily live concerts, food, great buzz (rue de Bagnolet, metro Porte de Bagnolet)

Christina Sep 11th, 2002 09:31 AM

as for cheap hotels, www.timeout.com has some good sugggestions in the budget category and several near the Marais that aren't quite as commonly mentioned as some of the above.<BR><BR>I've read good comments on Grand Hotel Malher in the Marais near metro St Paul(yes, that is the spelling). I've also heard Hotel Daval recommended in that area (more in Bastille area); it is cheap, but I wasn't that impressed with its location or appearance walking by.<BR>You can get details and phone no (and some comments) on www.paris.org/Hotels -- in fact, you could use that just by searching for 2-star hotels in the 11th or 4th arr.<BR><BR>You could also use the Tourist Office web site, you can search their hotels by area and star-rating or price. www.paris-touristoffice.com<BR><BR>www.123france.com has some cheaper ones and often discounts, also see www.france-hotel-guide.com for some cheaper hotels.

Jack Sep 14th, 2002 10:09 AM

Thank you for your help.<BR>I have spent the last few days ringing up the hotels listed on various websites that might have twin rooms in the Marais/Bastille region for less than 55 euros. All the popular ones- those that are frequently listed in the budget section of the top travel guides-Castex/Herse d'or/Roubaix/du Marais/De Nevers etc are all booked up for next weekend. The only hotels with availabilty seem to be:<BR>Hotel Europe, Hotel Belfort, Hotel des Fontaines, Hotel Baudin and Hotel Sans Souci.<BR>Does anyone know anything about any of these hotels...i can't seem to find any extra information (photos, reviews etc.)<BR>Would most appreciate some help

Jack Sep 14th, 2002 09:03 PM

Hotel Baudin is looking the most probable as its the cheapest. Its located on Avenue Ledru Rollin. I have checked on a map and this seems to be south of the place de la bastille. What is this part of the 11e arrondissement like? It seems slightly out of the way. Are the nightlife areas of both Marais and Bastille within walking distance. I have no idea of the size these regions. <BR>Thanks for the help so far.

Jack Sep 15th, 2002 10:22 AM

Somebody?...Anybody?<BR>I'm lost in the field of confusion. <BR>Help me find some directions.<BR>Its cold and dark and I don't appear to be wearing any clothes.<BR><BR>

francesca Sep 15th, 2002 10:43 AM

Ledru-Rollin a great street, in the thick of things. Check out the great Marche d'Aligre, Paris' cheapest and most fun street market (mostly food). While you are there, have a glass of wine at the Rouge Gorge a wine bar open during market hours where you have a cheap great glass of plonk. Have a great time--you deserve it after all this stressful research!

Jack Sep 15th, 2002 04:08 PM

Thanks Francesca. The location sounds great (although I am still a bit unsure as to whether Marais will be within walking distance after a night out- I don't really fancy taking taxis)<BR>Any other info on the hotel(s) I have mentioned or recommendations regarding good cheap restaurants/bars/clubs in the area would be much appreciated.

Vincent Sep 16th, 2002 01:08 AM

Paris is much more compact than London, and you can walk without any problem from Ledru-Rollin to Bastille (Marais would be a bit extra) or Oberkampf. Just take the Michelin maps of Paris and London (they should have the same scale), and compare what it would mean in London terms. I would say Convent Garden-Piccadilly.