Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: what is the 15e arrondissement like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to trade apartments with someone in Paris. We have a few peple interested - but we are wondering, what is the 15e arrondissement like?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:26 AM

It is very quiet.

I toured Unesco Headquarters because I wanted to see the Naguchi Rock Garden and Miro murals.

There were very few people on the streets. It certainly isn't a tourist destination.

There were some nice cafes and shops near the Le Motte Picquet Metro stop.

Thin
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM

I agree, but not a bad place to get away from the hustle & bustle of the city. Not sure I would care to stay there for probably more than a long weekend though.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM

It's a newer part of the city (relatively, like compared to the center), and is basically a routine middle-class residential area. Some people consider it very boring, I suppose it has that reputation, it's not the cutting edge part of Paris you would move to as a young person. It has some more new developemtna and apt. buildings that some other parts of the city, also. There are parts of the 15th with lots of people on the streeets, say around stores or markets. I like to stay around Charles Michels metro and go there at least once every trip as I have a favorite restaurant there. There are lots of people on the streets there (relatively, crowds don't roam the streets at night like St Germain and the Latin Qtr near the Seine, of course). There is a good rue St Charles street market and that street has a lot of food shops on it, so lots of people go shopping there, including after work. The above post by Thin is referring to one visit to one location, I imagine.

There are some nice parks and it's a pleasant place to live, in general. Lots of good stores around rue Convention (and a major bus line), and some places people like to gather after work for drinks.

As with most arrondisements, the 15th is very large so general comments are of limited utility and may or may not apply to the location you are thinking of.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM

It depends what part of the 15th you are talking about. It is large.

The part near the 7th..ave Suffren.. can be desireable. People find it more affordable than the 7th, but have the closeness to that desireable part of the 7th.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
One interesting fact about the 15th arrondissement is that it is the arrondissement with the largest population (although the 16th is larger in size).

It is considered to be upper middle class and just about ONLY that -- meaning few poor people and few rich people. There is no "nice" neighborhood and there is no "bad" neighborhood.

I do agree that the most pleasant part of the arrondissement is as Christina says -- rue Saint Charles and rue de la Convention.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM

Have only been out that way to visit a friend who lives there (metro Lourmel) but will be staying in an apartment there later this month and will report back. From walking around the area during our visits it seemed pretty much as described above - middle of the road, calm, residential.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM

The 15th is a good choice if you want to see the non-tourisy side of Paris. While it's true that it's a bit off the beaten path, if you stay near either Line 10 stop (Charles Michels or Av. Emile Zola) it's a quick shot into the center of the city.
You'll find great, inexpensive ethnic restaurants there as well as fantastic views of the Eiffel Tower.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The 15th arrondissement is also the location of "Little Tehran" whose main drag is rue des Entrepreneurs, starting at Charles Michels metro. The Iranians who left the country during the Islamic revolution mostly live in the "Front de Seine" apartment towers along the Seine.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate so much that you all took the time and trouble to answer! thanks! we'll only be there for 2 weeks and i guess the important thing is if we can get to and from the tourist sites easily, and if it's safe and clean. we wouldn't really have to spend much time there except at night, to sleep!
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Hello from Paris 15th! We have been here a few days staying in an apartment on rue Lourmel. This is a departure from our usual pattern of staying more in the center of the city, but it has been quite pleasant so far. Much of that is because the apartment is great - not huge but very well designed, True, it is a metro ride to the tourist sites, often with a connection, but that has not been a problem. The neighborhood is quiet but has all the comforts one needs - shops, cafes, supermarkets, etc. It is also nice to be in an area that is not mostly tourists but has a more local feel. The comforts are worth the trade off for short metro ride.