Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Danelli, Gritti Palace or Europa Regina (Venice)???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 06:47 AM
Marian

We've narrowed it down to one of these 3 luxury hotels. They all sound fabulous. Any recommendation as to the best location, best view etc. We need to chose one! Marian

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 07:36 AM
Kari

We stayed in the Europa Regina in October and LOVED it. Our room had a small balcony overlooking the courtyard in between the two sections of the hotel (it is kind of "U" shaped) but we still had a great water view. The bathroom was all marble and fabulous. The common areas are wonderful, and the location, though you have to go through a few "alleys" to get there, was VERY central. <BR> <BR>Elton John (and his entourage) were also staying there during our stay, and we were hoping to see him in the piano bar, but to no avail.

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 07:54 AM
Stan Lepelstat

Just beck from Venice and stayed at the Europa.Booked thru the starwood site on the internet and got a summer promotion of 400000 lira a night.Hotel is fabulous it was recently renovated.We told them it was our anniversary and they gave us a large room with a marble bath overlooking the Ste Maria della Salute church and a partial view of the Grand Canal plus champagne flowers and fruit as a gift in the room.Truly memorable.Only warning breakfast prices are out of sight,but you only live once. <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 08:07 AM
Dona

Marian, <BR> <BR>You lucky duck!! <BR> <BR>I have not stayed at any of them but have visited each of them - often. Although the Danielli is right in the heart of things, in my opinion it is TOO much in the heart... Pretty frenetic. That would be my last choice. <BR> <BR>I have alwys fantasized about staying at the Gritti with a canal view (see "Everybody Says I Love You" - Woody Allen - for a good view of the Gritti). But this year I discovered the Europa and Regina - and I say "discovered" on purpose because it is certainly hidden. Very close to San Marco but off the beaten path. It is stunning. The public areas seem a little less formal than the Gritti. I spent quite a few evenings at the bar after dinner but it was February so we couldn't enjoy the outdoors. Now I may have to re-think my fantasy! <BR> <BR>I'm sure you can't go wrong with either - I'd love to have to make the choice! <BR> <BR>Have a great time - and let us know what you decide and how it was...

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 08:48 AM
elaine

I have friends who stayed in the Europa on their first trip to Venice and now <BR>will stay nowhere else. I am familiar with the location, and it is outstanding. 5 minutes from San Marco, <BR>but just enought removed to not be hectic. <BR>From what I understand the Danieli, which is quite close to San Marco <BR>is the ultimate in luxury, said to be one of the finest hotels in the world, <BR>It does face the Grand Canal, as the others do, but the location of your particular room would make a difference. <BR>I don't think you could go wrong with any of these hotels. <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 09:15 AM
vwb

We stayed at the Danieli last year and thoroughly reveled in its luxurious accomodations and couldn't have asked for a better location for a first time visit to Venice. Our room and bath were huge with every amenity available. If the price doesn't daunt you, it's an elegant(and comfortable) place to stay.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:02 PM
kam

We also love the Europa. Large room, great staff, huge bathrooms, a small terrace/bar on the G.C. from which to have a drink and watch the world go by. Last time in Venice on business, we left the rest of the group at the Danielli and stayed at our old favorite. It's not far away but much much quieter. Whichever you choose, you won't be disappointed.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:17 PM
Rod Hoots

We have stayed at the Europa and the Danieli - have eaten and had cocktails at the Gritti. They are all wonderful hotels. We have been staying at the Danieli for several years and been very satisfied. It is not on the Grand Canal, but is next to the Doge's palace facing the lagoon. I would recommend the Danieli with the proviso that you get a room "facing" the lagoon. For the Europa and Gritti get a room "facing" the canal. If you get a "canal view" room, it may be on the side and the way you see the canal is by leaning out the window. Wherever you stay, have cocktails in the lobby of the Danieli some evening - a great people watching place. If the weather is nice, have dinner some evening in the Danieli rooftop Terrace restaurant looking out over the lagoon. <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 01:58 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>We stayed at the Gritti two summers ago, very expensive but wanted to splurge our last night. Nice, helpful service, had a lovely elegant room facing the canal. We had a very expensive lunch there - just to sit down there was a cover charge of $50.00 or something - total bill for just a couple sandwiches and sodas, no liquor, was about $75.00. However, we had fun, nice ambiance on the water, and were entertained by gondoliers who were serenading a couple on a balconey right next to us.

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 07:07 AM
Jill

What a tough call....we've stayed at 2 out of the 3 you mentioned and I'd have to vote for the Europa & Regina for all around best. You really can't go wrong with any of these 3 they're the best of the best!!

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 08:33 AM
Marian

Thank you so much for your responses. After a lot of thought, we've decided to splurge and go with the Europa & Regina! Thanks again so much!

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 06:37 PM
Thomas

I don't know about the other 2, but we enjoyed our stay at the Europa in April, 1998. The room,service,and food were outstanding. You'll not regret your stay at the Europa Regina. <BR>Ps. for a relaxing change of pace, take the hotel's boat to the Lido for lunch and a walk on the beach.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:50 PM
Tom

Great choice Marian. We just returned. You'll LOVE the Europa & Regina! Tom