Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Visite Card (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-visite-card-217376/)

cristi May 8th, 2002 10:19 AM

Paris Visite Card

Anyone of you used the Paris Visite Card?<BR>What are the benefits of using it?<BR>Any info is greatly appreciated.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Cristi<BR><BR>

Liz May 8th, 2002 10:26 AM

It's not the cheapest transportation option, but if you will be in Paris 3 or 5 days, it's worth a few extra Euro to have just one ticket, and be able to hop on a bus or metro whenever you need too.

elaine May 8th, 2002 12:41 PM

The Paris Visite card includes transportation, plus discounts on admission charges for some of the lesser-known tourist venues in Paris.<BR>It is sold only to tourists, and many people disagree with the above and feel it is not worth it.<BR><BR>On the other hand, you can buy a museum pass, major benefits are free admission to many of the popular venues plus not waiting in the regular admission line at the Louvre and Orsay museums.<BR>You can also separately buy transportation-only passes, such as the Mobilis 1-day pass, or the Carte Orange weekly pass. I've read that break-even for the Carte Orange would be 3 trips a day, bus or metro, or about 21 trips over the week. I haven't calculated how that compares to the per-ride current cost of the Paris Visite.<BR><BR>If you won't be using transportation that much ( I walk most places in Paris, except for the very longest distances), then you can just buy carnets, discounted bunches of 10 tickets to be used any day, any time.

Suzie May 8th, 2002 04:41 PM

I used a Paris Visite card last October for my 10 day trip. I bought it in the U.S. before I went, but was pretty expensive, as they FEDEX'd it. But was certainly convenient to have, and was good on the train (RER) ride into central Paris from CDG airport. My hotel was quite close to the Luxembourg RER stop, so was very easy, and the train is the quickest way to get to the city. The Paris Visite was also good for my daytrip to Versailles. The Carte Orange seems to be cheaper, but if you get there towards the end of week, it wouldn't be good, because it goes from Monday to Monday. You also have to bother with having a little picture to attach to it. I think I'll opt for the Paris Visite again,but buy it when I get there.

Sue May 8th, 2002 05:01 PM

Break-even for the Carte Orange is 14 trips, in comparison with the carnet price. It costs 13.25 euros. There is also a day pass called Mobilis (5 euros). Paris Visite (zones 1-3, not including airport) for 1, 2, 3, or 5 days is higher: 8.35, 13.70, 18.25 and 26.65. It just seems to me that PV is inordinately high. For the cost of a two-day PV, you can buy a week-long CO. They do stop selling COs on Thursday for the end of the week.<BR><BR>I wouldn't bother getting a pass that includes the airport; it's much cheaper to buy your airport RER ticket separately.

sandy c May 8th, 2002 05:22 PM

hi christi,<BR><BR>I just wanted to chime in an encourage you to get the paris viste card if you will be in paris 3 or more days. do not buy it here in the states. it is much cheaper at any of the metro stations (they take visa) and it is great to have. <BR><BR>it may be a euro or two more than the normal weekly pass which is the le carte orange. however, that is issued each week and starts on monday thru sunday.<BR><BR>the paris viste is good for 3,4,5 days and is activated the 1st day you use it.<BR>you can buy it for zones 1-3 (covers all of central paris) or zones 1-8(covers paris and I think as far as versailles). <BR><BR>I found the zones 1-3 5 day a great deal for about 25 euros. and you never have to worry about buying single tickets during your stay in paris.<BR><BR>it is worth it!<BR><BR>sandy c

Cristi May 9th, 2002 05:58 AM

Hello Everyone,<BR><BR>Thank you very much for your replies.<BR>I think that with all the information that you guys provided I will be able to find my best option for my mid-week 3 days stay in Paris.<BR><BR>I would like to thank Fred for the link to his An American in Paris website that I found full of interesting information:<BR><BR>&lt;A HREF="http://www.anamericaninparis.com/"&gt;www.anamericaninparis.com&lt;/A&gt;<BR><BR>Before I go, I have another "little" question :-).<BR><BR>I need to get from the hotel to the CDG airport by 6:00 AM. What are my options?<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Cristi

Sue May 9th, 2002 07:38 AM

For a solo voyager, I think a shuttle is best. A month ago I used PariShuttle and was quite satisfied. It is popular on this board because the manager Mark Harris posts here. 23 euro for one; 17 ea. for 2-5 E-mail Mark at [email protected]<BR><BR>They also have a website at http://62.210.72.40/fr/

xxx May 23rd, 2002 04:31 AM

To the top of the list yet again...

elaine May 23rd, 2002 05:13 AM

roy<BR>just scroll down on the left side, there is another current thread about the Paris Visite, and it has lots of good information.<BR><BR>I am among those who don't see it as a good deal. I am in favor of convenience and willing to pay a little extra for convenience, but imo getting a carnet or a Carte Orange is just as easy, and more economical.

elaine May 23rd, 2002 05:14 AM

oops, posted to the wrong thread