Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Vision Tours (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-vision-tours-927579/)

Mahkeenac Mar 13th, 2012 03:21 PM

Paris Vision Tours

What kind of feedback have travelers given on the "Paris Vision Touring Group". I am thinking of using them for several tours within the city.
Any info would be appreciated.
You "guys" are really great. This is the first time we are traveling solo, so we're a little intimidated by the idea of doing everything on our own!

justineparis Mar 13th, 2012 10:25 PM

Within Paris you don't really need to take tours, but if you really want to then ParisVisions are a well established and reliable company.
I suggest you consider using a Hop on an Off bus tour instead. L'Open Tour is a good one. You simply buy a ticket when you board, no prebooking or pre paying. You can board at any stop, and they stop at all major tourist sites. They are bright green and yellow, hard to miss. You pay for either a one day or two day pass( the two day pass is better deal, only a few euros more then the one day pass) and the buses have four routes. You will be given some earphones to listen to a basic taped commentary as you circle the routes, you can get off at any site/stop, visit , take pictures , whatever, then reboard the next bus when ever you are ready. If you don't want to get off you can just sit up top , open top bus, and enjoy viewing the neihborhoods as you go thru. Good place to rest , eat a snack you have in your purse and just relax. I would choose a nice day, sitting up top in rain not fun, lol.
This will really give you the lay of the land, a bried commentary, and will allow you to see what you want on your own timeline. Big bus tours often just drive by sites, or stop for a quick photo.
Check out the website, they are assicioated with Cityrama which is same thing as Parisvisions.

Don't be nervous.. you will have fun.

FemmeFrancophile Mar 14th, 2012 03:36 AM

About 5 years ago I had an extremely bad experience with Parisvisions whereby the bus that had taken us to visit Vaux-le-Vicomte was late to return to collect us at the end of our evening visiting the chateau. It was about 2am when we returned to Paris and instead of dropping me back at my hotel the driver dropped me several blocks away so I had to find my way back alone and without being told where they had dropped me.

waterdog Mar 14th, 2012 03:47 AM

We have used Paris Vision for several tours and have been completely satisfied. However, they were all minivan tours outside of Paris, but we found the drivers to be on-time, courteous, and well informed.
That said, Paris is an easy city to tour and get around on your own as suggested above.

StCirq Mar 14th, 2012 08:03 AM

ParisVision is a reputable company. That said, I don't see any reason to pay anyone to see the main sights of Paris, which are easy as pie to visit on your own. If you can read a guidebook and follow a map, you don't need ParisVision. Of course, if you're just more comfortable on a tour, that's fine.

nytraveler Mar 14th, 2012 09:13 AM

They are a long-standing company - and probably no major issues. But ALL of thee day tours are least common denominator. If you want to rely on them to tell you everything and let them select the sites - go ahead. If yuo have specific things you want to see or do - or a greater depth of information (than look right and you will see the Eiffel Tower built for the Paris Exposition of 18 whatever) better to do on your own. Or go with a smaller company walking tour doing something in depth.

Christina Mar 14th, 2012 09:25 AM

I don't think their tours are the same thing as the hop-on/hop-off bus.

I haven't used them but FWIW, I have used Cityrama which givs similar tours and they were very good. I didn't use them for a city tour, but to Vaux le Vicomte. http://www.pariscityrama.com/