Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris,Venice/lade region,Amalfi, or Greece-Desperately need some direction!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Denise

Please tolerate my indecision. I have been using this board for over 4 years and have found it very helpful. Next year is our 25th wedding anniversary. I have to take off in July because I work with disabled children. WE have 2 weeks. Both are in our mid to late 40's. I have always wanted to visit the Amalfi Coast area, the Greek isles, and Venice. So many recommend Paris, but I hate to admit it but I am afraid of the recent posts about the rudeness of Parisians. I may get intimidated because I don't speak a word of French, but would learn some phrases ahead of time as I do for any other place. <BR>We have been to Rome, Florence, Lucca, Siena, Orvieto (our favorite) Montecatini. WE love Italy and it's food. Have to admit that Rome was our least favorite mainly because we were coming from Orvieto and enjoyed the smaller cities. But did enjoy the Vatican, St. Peters, Coloseum, etc. Did love Florence-seeing "David", and stumbling upon the Duomo the first time. The Uffizi was too much however. Appreciated it but how many Madonna's and child can one see? Been to Prague-found it enchanting. Been to Vienna-enjoyed it but nothing special. Visited Munich and enjoyed our first experience in Europe, although the cuisine wasn't much besides the great beer (which I never liked before! and the pretzels, fruit and cheese). <BR>CONCERNS: We have 2 weeks. Will the Greek isles be enough? will Amalfi coasts cities be unbearably crowded, will the French intimidate me with their arrogance? <BR>We are from NYC so we are used to cities and mass transit and God knows -rude people. <BR>Can anyone help me decide?.I know it is utlimately our decision but I thought I would ask anyway. <BR> <BR>Hope you can help, <BR>Denise

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Kim

In Paris, the French are truly obnoxious to Americans. This said, if you find a nice hotel, not even the rude folks can ruin Paris. Plus, as you have said, you are from NYC (I'm a native New Yorker too) which has to be up there with Paris so you won't be shocked. Spend 3-4 days in Paris and by the time the rudeness gets to you, it will be time to move on. Other parts of France are not like Paris, the south or wine country. In two weeks you have plenty of time to combine Paris with another destination - all of your choices are wonderful! Flights between European cities are very reasonable. We are flying British Air from London to Naples for about $150 roundtrip each. Are you looking to relax in the sun, if so Greece, and Amalfi are good choices. I am headed to Amalfi in early October and have been posting and reading on this Board about where to stay. I went to Greece on my honeymoon 11 years ago. I don't know what it is like today, but then it was a bit behind. I was disappointed in the hotels the decor was dated, the staff sub-par, the food in a word: yuck, even at 4 star hotels, still it is beautiful. If you do go, I recommend Santorini (who doesn't) and the walled city of Rhodes. Check out the many posts on Amalfi and there are tons of websites about the area. Some have said the Positano (near Amalfi) and Santorini have similar attributes. Good luck, have a great trip - you cannot go wrong - your choices are all so wonderful!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:26 AM
ohoh

We were totally surprised at how delightful and kind people were to us in Paris. Guess it is an anti-NY thing? (No, I seriously doubt that. Some of my best friends--and my own daughter,now!-- are New Yorkers). We were underwhelmed by the Amalfi coast this past Spring, to quote from a recent thread regarding Venice. I can only imagine how packed it is in July. As you say you enjoyed Orvieto and smaller cities, I'd recommend you consider a Venice/Verona/Bergamo(? or Balzano?)/Bellagio itinerary. Maybe fly in to Milan, start in Bellagio (an hour away) and then travel east, ending in Venice. Spend 4 nights at either end of the trip and split the rest of your time inbetween. OR, find one of those gorgeous Windjammer type cruises through the Greek Isles and bookmark it with stays someplace romantic on either end.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Denise

I like the idea of combining Paris with Italy(Venice and the Lakes). I will have to check out the airfare. I think I will have to save Positano, Ravello, etc for a less touristy time. <BR>As for the Greek Isles, I will look more into it and Rhodes also. <BR>To those who recommend France-do you think Paris or the south of France would be best for an intimidated first timer? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help <BR>Denise

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Katherine

Denise, I have been to Paris half a dozen times and I have NEVER had a Parisian be rude to me. I would definately go to Paris first, then fly to Italy and see what you want there. Venice and Bellagio would be very nice. You could fly to Milan and take the train to both places. It's a very long train ride from Paris to Milan. For Paris, learn a dozen important French words and phrases. Always use them when it's appropriate. Always be genuinely nice to people there and they will be nice in return. I truly believe you get back what you give. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 12:36 PM
carol

Hi Denise, <BR> <BR>Given your preferences, I think you should consider oh-oh's suggestions about Northern Italy. I'd spend a week, more or less, in Venice and then have a luxurious, relaxing stay in Bellagio on Lake Como. What's nice about the lakes is that you can do your sightseeing by boat.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 12:38 PM
carol

I'd save Paris for an off-season trip, the French aren't so crazed by the tourists then as they are in July and their patience level rises as the temperature drops.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 12:54 PM
elvira

July is peak tourist season, and it's HOT. I'd look for the less-traveled areas - Abruzzo region of Italy, Sardinia, Liechtenstein - or maybe a cruise on a small boat through the Greek Islands (you can hire your own boat/pilot, or sign up for a sailboat cruise with 8 passengers). Along the same lines, there are hotel barges that cruise the rivers and canals of Europe, or a drive-it-yourself barge. You're touring through the countryside, and even if the towns are crowded, you can escape every evening to a quiet cabin on the water.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 01:33 PM
PamR

The Amalfi Coast, Venice and the Greek Islands are my 3 favorite places on earth! But I don't think I'd want to go to any of them in July. The heat and the crowds would be most annoying. Same with Paris (I thought Parisians were rude years ago, but last year when I visited I found them charming). If I had to pick one of your choices for July, it would probably be the Greek Islands, mainly because of the swimming and beach possibilities. There are many islands, and much to see. We did the Mediterranean cruise and particularly liked Crete, much to my surprise. Santorini was beautiful, but I hear it's crowded and unpleasant in summer (we went in October). Good luck!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Diane

I've never traveled in July so I cannot comment on weather, but wherever you go it will probably be hot. Last trip to Greek islands we traveled Air France via Paris, with a stopover in Paris for several days on the return. It was a good mix of cultures. The people in Paris were kind and helpful. I'm not sure why people say they are rude. <BR> <BR>The Greek islands are wonderful -- so is Venice. You can't go wrong, can you? <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Denise

Dear Diane, <BR> <BR>I wonder if there is any place that won't be hot and crowded in July. It could be worse-I could have to take vacation in August! The stopover idea sounds like another good possibility. What Greek islands would you recommend? I definitely would want to visit Santorini. How far in advance can you purchase airline tickets? <BR>Thanks to all for getting my mind organized. <BR> <BR>Denise

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 10:59 AM
John relias

Greece and Italy will be hot in August, but Santorini is beautiful and the food is excellent(try Kukumovlis). I would stay at Vedema, all villas have air. You can fly from Santorini to Mykonos and say there for a few days. I would also combine Greece with Paris. Paris is great and if you live in or near NYC, you should be able to handle the French.