Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Trip... what about Monet's Gardens in Giverny???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Paris for six days in May with three other ladies. I was talking to my sister the other day who went to France a few years ago. She said one of her favorite things was Monet's Gardens in Giverny. Is it worth the trip? If so how long is the train ride to Vernon and how long should I expect to stay there... a half day, full day, etc?
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM

This is not a logistically difficult trip. This trip is covered in usual guide books. For example, Rick Steves' France 2008 p180-182 describes how this is done.
You can find the train schedule yourself:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Enter From "Paris" and To "Vernon(Eure)".
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 01:00 AM

We went to Giverny last June on the early train from Paris. It was a wonderful day. To answer your questions it is definitely worth the trip if you want to see his gardens. I don't remember the length of the train ride but from the train there is a bus that takes you to Monet's house. Expect a full day if you also want to spend time in the American museum of impressionist which we didn't have time for and regretted.
This is what I wrote in my journal:
Thursday-This was the highlight of the trip. We dragged ourselves out of bed to get to Gare St Lazare for the 8:15 train to Vernon for a visit to Giverny. The trip wasn’t that long and we arrived in time to stand in line for the bus with all the other people who thought they would beat the crowds. Maybe we did but it seemed that there were a lot of people there. The grounds were gorgeous as was the pond with the water lilies which were just starting to bloom. We were lucky enough to be standing in Monet’s bedroom when the skies opened. By the time we had finished the tour of the house it had stopped raining. We walked down the street and had lunch at the Antiente Hotel Baudy. Unfortunately we didn’t get time to tour the rose gardens or the American Impressionist museum (except to stop in, ask about the train schedule and buy a neat black apron with poppies on it!). We took the 4pm train back and that made for a full day.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:44 AM

To get the best out of it, take an early train from Gare St Lazare. There is a bus that meets the trains, but there is also a very pleasant pathway to walk out to Giverny (or of course back): or you can hire a bike.

There are several threads about this:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=35000650
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34976316
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34933056
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34867411
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34815766
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34804999
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 03:11 AM

A couple of my girlfriends went to Giverny and as an added pleasure made sure they were back in time to visit the l'orangerie on the same day - they both adored the entire experience.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:08 AM

Or you can walk from gritty Vernon to the bucolic gardens and village about 4 miles away from the train station - and take the bus back if not up for more walking

The walking path starts just over the Seine bridge, behind some tower block flats and follows an abandoned rail line the way way - through rural scenery.

Monet himself often took this train from Giverny to Rouen where you often put up his easel in front of the famous Gothic cathedral's facade, which he painted in a mind-boggling variety of Impressions

I guess the word Impressionism actually comes from Money's "Impression Sunrise" or some such title that he painted down on the Seine.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:18 AM

I took my mother who was 68 at the time and it is still one of her favorite memories of our last trip to Paris. Definitely go.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:40 AM

We took a tour bus across from the Louvre next to the Joan dArc statue. We also used them for three other trips to Champagne country, Versailles and three chateaux. The guides were first rate, buses comfortable, worth the $.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:32 AM

It is a great trip, however, with only six days in Paris, you probably need to think about where this ranks in terms of importance. I have been the Giverny two times (once about 15 years ago and again about 4 years ago), and I really enjoyed both visits.

If this were my first trip to Paris, I am not sure I would make the trip unless I was a HUGE Monet fan. There is so much to see and do in Paris that I am not sure I would take a full day to go out to Giverny unless it was one of those things that was an absolute must for me. The time issue becomes even more of a concern if one of your six days is the day that you arrive.

Obviously, the forgoing goes out the window if this is not your first trip.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM

And a plug here for the Marmottan and the Orangerie for Monet paintings..
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM

this was definitely one of my all time favorite places, especially bc I love having photos of my own of some of his inspiration. definitely worth a day trip even with only 6 days.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM

kak113 wrote: "definitely worth a day trip even with only 6 days."

For some, of course.

But people differ. I have clocked up rather more than 6 days in Paris, and eventually got around to visiting Giverney. I found it overcrowded, beautiful, and moderately interesting. I was done with it after 90 minutes.

Yes, I'm glad I went, mainly because I satisfied my curiosity, but I would be in no great hurry to go again.

Worth it? It depends on what you like. I don't know if holm0954 and her friends would consider it worth their while.

I suggest to anybody thinking of visiting that they use public transport rather than a bus tour to get there. It's far cheaper, not difficult, and you can decide for yourself how long you want to stay.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:59 AM
tod

Have a wonderful trip ladies! I haven't got around to Monet's Garden at Giverny and probably won't this May trip either unfortunately, but - if you are in Paris between 16th-23rd you may want to join in a fun evening GTG with Fodorites who have met before?
We all meet at a Bistro/restaurant (not expensive) and have a nice dinner together.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM

I really enjoyed it when I went to years ago in April & will go again when I'm there this June - want to see the difference in blooms during the seasons.

But it's really up to you and your friends and what do you really, really want to see during those six days.

But if you do go, get there when it opens at 9AM & go on a weekday. It will be packed by 11:30.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM

I once wrote an article on Giverny and the Monet House and interviewed the director and asked about what was the best time to go

she said that Tuesdays can be more crowded because the gardens-house is closed on Mondays and Wednesdays can be more crowded too because she said French grandparents and parents often take their school-age grandkids, kids here because many French schools still have Wednesday afternoons off (this was a few years ago)

Thur and Fri were the best days she said - weekends can be hectic

but she said the real variable was when bus tours rolled up, clogging up the gardens and slowing down the entry line
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM

"I guess the word Impressionism actually comes from Money's "Impression Sunrise" or some such title that he painted down on the Seine."

That's what I've read/heard. And, you can see that painting at Musee Marmottan.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM

We were there in early October and it was very pleasantly uncrowded - 15 years ago. One beautiful surprise for me was seeing the dahlias there in many colors, almost the size of sunflowers. I never knew they grew that big.

I also enjoyed touring the Monet home. The kitchen is decorated in very vivid blue and yellow. The photographs of Monet and his family and associates in several rooms were very interesting.

What also impressed me was that such a famous, beautiful place was totally devoid of souvenir stands and the like. You could enjoy it almost the same as when the Monets lived there.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM

IdyllicItaly wrote: "You could enjoy it almost the same as when the Monets lived there."

They must have had a lot of house guests!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM

Well as exhibits in the House describe there were in fact a house load often of other artists and their hangers on there. A regular hotel
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:59 AM

I guess I am the iconoclast of the Forum. I went to Giverny. Just another garden. If not associated with a famous artist, I wonder if it would draw much attention.

Monet's paintings are on on display at several locations: the Orangerie, Musee Marmottan, and Musee d'Orsay.

If there is one art museum that I think is a must, it is Musee d'Orsay. Marmottan is nice, too, but not the blockbuster that the d'Orsay is.

My chief recall of Giverney is the taxi ride back to the train station in Vernon. (Ver Gnaw like in bone.)
My wife learned some French terms from the taxi driver that come in handy over here.

Our taxi driver was late retrieving us and he was racing like heck so we could catch the 6 pm train back to Paris. At one junction in the road, the taxi driver had the right of way, but it was contested. In true French fashion, he rammed down on the horn, extended his arm with two raised fingers, and gave an upward motion with a spluttering sound issuing form his lips and mouth.

Try it. It works wonders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -