Eixample right vs left

Search

Eixample right vs left

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eixample right vs left

What is the difference between the right and left Eixample areas? Is one more "upscale" and the other more...something else? (I keep thinking Right and Left Bank in Paris!) I know it's hard to generalize, but I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts. Also, which street divides the two "sides"?
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Left or right "banks"! Facing in which direction? It's more like east, west, north and south.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:51 AM

I guess I'm confused..what is Eixample? Where is this? Could you repost with the country/city. Based on this being a Europe forum, not clear...
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Robert, "right" and "left" river banks assume you're facing downstream.

For some reason, North and South are used in London - regardless of which way the river is oriented at a given spot. So when you're at Westminster, you're due <u>west</u> of County Hall, but the guides say you're on the <u>North</u> Bank. Clear?
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have been more clear! I am talking about Barcelona, which has an area called Eixample, which I believe is divided into dret (right) and esquerre (left) sections. I am wondering if there is any difference in flavor between them.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM

There is very little difference in the atmosphere for several blocks in each direction from the Passaic de Gracia, the main shopping avenue in the Eixample where you find the most prestigious address.

Some changes exist when you travel north past the Diagonal and south beyond the Gran Via into Ramblas.
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Robert. The place I am looking at is at Carrer de la Independencia 350 at Carrer de C&oacute;rsega, near Hospital Sant Pau. I wanted to include a link to the Google map but I tried that earlier today and the message never got posted. But it is definitely north of Diagonal.

Any opinions about this location?

Liz
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Forget Google. The BCN website works that much better (http://www.bcn.es/guia/).

Enter the street name and address number and it will take you right to your hotel's location, in this case, about 7 blocks north of the Diagonal. Not bad if you don't mind the walk or taking the bus.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I've seen that map as well. I had already found the exact location, but wanted to know if it seemed like a reasonable one for a first time Barcelona visitor. I don't want to be where there is a lot of night time street noise, and I don't mind walking or taking the bus, but I also hope that the neighborhood itself has some appealing things to see (e.g., architecture, parks, little shops, food markets, etc.--I don't care about high end, fashionable shops, though).

Thanks again.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Forget Google? Or type <b>carrer de la independencia, 359 barcelona</b> in the Search box, and hit &quot;Maps.&quot; You will get a proper street plan with north at the top, not some goofy adaptation that has the streets running left to right and up and down.
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Hemingway stayed on the Left Bank, learned to speak French, ate and drank at local cafes and brasseries, liked local food and wine, and rubbed elbows with the locals.

Fitzgerald stayed on the Right Bank, never learned any French, had a disdain for the people, ate American food, and only at expensive &quot;American&quot; restaurants.

Pjk

Old May 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Liz,

just so you know, there is a part of the &quot;left&quot; side which is more commonly known, by some, as the &quot;Gaixample&quot; so don;t be surprised to see any number of pride flags and the like if you stroll through that neighborhood.
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Peter--but you're talking about Paris, right? Or are you making a parallel?

As for Gaixemple, my general impression is that neighborhoods become more lively and interesting when there's a gay population (in Boston, where I live, this is true, anyway)--so for me, this would be a downside of our staying in the Eixample Dret, where this apartment is located....