Reload this Page >

Paris Transportation - Airport to Saint-Suplice Metro Station

Old Jun 16th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Does anyone know how use the Metro in Paris to get from the Airport (CDG) to the Saint-Suplice Metro station?

Thank you.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

It seems to me that our options are either to take the Roissy Bus to Rue Scribe, then get on the Metro to Saint Suplice, which is rather near our hotel... OR, take the RER from the airport to the Luxembourg stop, and walk a further distance to our hotel. Does anyone know if this is correct? Our hotel is on Rue Bonaparte.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM

The RER will take about 44 minutes to reach Luxembourg RER stop. The bus/metro combination will take about 1-1/2 hours.

You can use the RATP website to check your options (http://www.ratp.fr). If you have an iPhone/iPad, you can download the app.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 09:22 AM

There is a 3rd option that combines part of the two options you came up with. So the third option is take the RER B and switch to métro line 4 at some point (Gare Du Nord, Châtelet-Les Halles (the Les Halles Stop), or Saint-Michel. Given your other thread asking about hotels a couple of months ago, I'm assuming you went with Hôtel Bonaparte. The absolute quickest way to get there would be my method described above.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. Would it be reasonable to take the RER to Saint-Michel Notre-Dame and walk the 1.1 km from there?
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 10:48 AM

You could walk depending on amount of luggage.
I would take the RER to Saint- Michel and then transfer to the metro to St.- Suplice.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM

"<i>Would it be reasonable to take the RER to Saint-Michel Notre-Dame and walk the 1.1 km from there?</i>"
Depending on the amount of luggage and your propensity for walking, certainly. Both the St-Michel–Notre-Dame and Luxembourg stations are virtually the same distance from Saint-Sulpice. Either way is a fine way of getting to the hotel

That being said, typically people are looking for the quickest/easiest directions here. My above RER B to métro line 4 getting off at the Saint-Sulpice station puts your right next to your hotel.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:01 AM

"Reasonable" is a pretty subjective term. How much luggage? Any mobility issues? Likely to be tired and jet lagged? Enjoy walking?
If you've already considered all those factors and decide to walk from RER then walking from St. Michel- Notre Dame RER station is no worse than walking from Luxembourg.
Think Mr. Nuke has laid out your best options above. The RER B to Metro 4 transfer may entail a bit of walking within the station, but less than walking from either RER station to the hotel.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:02 AM

That hotel isn't that easy to get to from the airport by public transportation. It's completely up to you if you want to walk that distance, you know how far it is and what you have and how used to doing that kind of thing you are better than us. I don't walk that far with luggage myself, especially not after a long flight and having to deal with the RER.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM

The problem with walking the last leg is that this is a very crowded part of town, less crowded perhaps from Luxembourg than St Michel and downhill rsther than uphill. You will not win friends pulling roller bags through the crowds near Odeon.

MrNuke' suggestion makes the most sense to me, especially since you will be tired from flying, even if you are not jet lagged.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

MrNuke and Seamus thank you for your suggestions. As far as willingness and ability to walk we have no issues there. 4 young people willing to walk. We will be jet lagged but too excited to care.

I can see on the RER map how to get to Saint Michel, but dont see how to get to Luxembourg (if that one is a simpler walking option if we decide to go that route). My next question would be... suppose we take MrNuke's suggestion and switch to the Metro 4 at Saint Michel... how difficult is it to switch from the RER to the Metro 4? Are they in the same station/clearly marked? This will be all of our first times to Paris.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 05:01 AM

Luxembourg is the next stop after St Michel-Notre Dame on the RER B line from CDG so there's no issue in getting to it! ;^)

One thing though, if you decide to use that station... use the exit in the direction of the rear of the train. Going to the one in the forward direction is a long walk the wrong way.

Switching from RER to metro is easy. Just follow the signs. When taking the metro or RER though, it is important to know the terminus station in the direction you want. So here's a piece of homework for you... which terminus should you look for when selecting which metro line 4 direction to take? ;^)
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 05:02 AM

<i>"
I can see on the RER map how to get to Saint Michel, but dont see how to get to Luxembourg (if that one is a simpler walking option if we decide to go that route"</i>
It is one stop further than St Michel-Notre Dame.

"<i>suppose we take MrNuke's suggestion and switch to the Metro 4 at Saint Michel... how difficult is it to switch from the RER to the Metro 4? Are they in the same station/clearly marked? This will be all of our first times to Paris."</i>
Very easy. Simply follow the signs to transfer to line 4 (it will be up a level from the RER B tracks) and remember to keep the train ticket the entire journey.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, MrNuke. We will do that then. It sounds simple enough!
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

ParisAmsterdam- I am not sure I follow what you mean. Don't I just find the Metro 4 going towards St Suplice?
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 11:54 AM

The RER and metro are bi-directional meaning you need to know the right direction of travel to get you to the station you want to arrive at. This really doesn't affect the RER B at CDG as Terminal 2 is a terminus so all trains head into Paris.

For virtually every other stop though it helps to know the following 4 things:

1)Where am I starting at and where am I going?

In this case starting at CDG and wanting to arrive at the Saint-Sulpice metro station

2) What line or lines are involved in getting there?

In this case RER B to Metro Line 4

3) If there is a transition or transitions were are they at?

In this case either at Châtelet – Les Halles or St. Michel, either will work fine.

4) What terminus or termini do I need to know get me there? Or in other words what direction to I need to be going on the line I'm transferring to in order to reach my destination?

For CDG to Paris on the RER like I said above this is one of the exceptions to this rule as following the trains to Paris signs will get you into the city and all trains go to Paris. However, technically you'd want an RER B train in the direction of Robinson or Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse.

At Châtelet – Les Halles or St. Michel switching to metro line 4, you still need to go further South. Verify this by looking at a map of the city and or a map of the metro lines. The Southern terminus of line 4 is Mairie de Montrouge. Follow the signs for Mairie de Montrouge and you'll end up on the correct side of the platform.

Stations may or may not have signs like this
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/myt...0203483/#large

*Porte d'Orléans was the old Southern terminus of line 4 before it was recently expanded.

But I wouldn't count on one being there and If you already know the terminus you needed you wouldn't have to look at the sign.
-------------
If that all sounds like a lot, it is really simple in actuality when you are doing it.

1) arriving at the airport follow the signs to Paris by Trains 2) get on an RER train- I personally prefer to take one of the trains that goes directly from the airport to Gare Du Nord skipping every other stop in between the airport and Gare Du Nord. Either way, any RER train from the airport will stop at St. Michel.
3) Get off the train at St. Michel follow the correspondence signs to line 4
4) When you arrive at line 4 follow the sign for Line 4 Mairie de Montrouge
5) Get on and get off at St Sulpice.