Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris, Tour d'Argent (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-tour-dargent-1180040/)

planningtravel Jan 11th, 2017 09:41 AM

Paris, Tour d'Argent

I have a reservation at TOur d'Argent and had made the reservation solely to eat the pressed duck. I understand the dish needs to be ordered in advance. I am travelling solo. WHen I emailed the restaurant they replied telling me the dish is for two people. I'm now debating if I should cancel the reservation or order a portion for two people and skip the appitisers and dessert.

How large is the portion? How good is the dish? Is it truly memorable or hype?

Any feedback from fodorites who have been to TOur d'Argent and had the pressed duck will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

travelhorizons Jan 11th, 2017 09:51 AM

I imagine the dish is one entire duck.

If you really want to experience the pressed duck at Tour d'Argent, you should! Maybe invite a friend to dinner.

Christina Jan 11th, 2017 10:30 AM

Yes, various dishes like that are only for 2 people, sometimes it is a certain cut of beef or in Spain, paella.

Their menu online says it is for 2 people OR MORE, if you are talking about Le Caneton Frederic Delaire. I believe it is the entire duck.

This is what is on their carte for that dish:230 €
A partir de deux personnes et pour l'ensemble de la table
Pour donner à ce plat emblématique toute l'attention qu'il mérite, faites-nous le plaisir de commander VOTRE CANETON au moins deux jours à l'avance>>

I suppose it's too late, but you could try to book lunch instead if that works. The prix fixe lunch is only about half the price of that dish for dinner, and they do have duck for one person at lunch.

No way I would ever pay 230 euro for a duck (which I rather dislike, anyway), but I wouldn't even pay 100 euro for it. Okay, I could see maybe paying 100 euro for their lunch for the experience.

planningtravel Jan 11th, 2017 11:03 AM

Thanks fo r the replies. Lunch just doesn't work as I arrive in Paris around 4 pm on a Saturday and depart Monday morning. Saturday night is the only time I can visit the restaurant, they are closed on Sundays.

WoinParis Jan 11th, 2017 11:06 AM

A caneton is a young duck. Not yet adult.
So you could probably eat it by yourself. La Tour is a gastronomic so portions are not meant to get you stuffed. Never been to la Tour but to quite a few Michelins I can easily eat double portion of one meal only. But ok I could lose weight.
You'll simply pay double what you would if you had been 2 ;-)
Seems to me you want it so go for it.
Have a great stay and Bon appetit !

Kathie Jan 11th, 2017 11:30 AM

And please come back with a review of your experience.

StCirq Jan 11th, 2017 11:35 AM

I cannot imagine paying that kind of money for a pressed baby duck. I can make you one here for about 20 €. I suppose it's about the "experience" more than the food, but honestly, that's criminal.

WoinParis Jan 11th, 2017 11:47 AM

Money is made to be spent.
Some spend it on ducks.

But I would bet yours would be as good StCirq !

StCirq Jan 11th, 2017 12:09 PM

I can pretty much assure you it would be, WoinParis:) But my dining room is woeful probably compared to La Tour d' Argent.'s. I'd use the linen napkins at least, and the good china.

I'd add a liqueur du safran du Périgord as a digéstif.

Bedar Jan 11th, 2017 12:49 PM

Skip the duck and have something else. I'd eat there for the view of Notre Dame, not the duck.

kerouac Jan 11th, 2017 01:25 PM

If you want the view of Notre Dame, you go to the IMA for dinner instead.

NewbE Jan 11th, 2017 01:29 PM

<Any feedback from fodorites who have been to TOur d'Argent and had the pressed duck will be appreciated.>
Not one of these responders has. They sure like to hear themselves type, though.

FuryFluffy Jan 11th, 2017 01:39 PM

Hi planningtravel, coincidentally I have the same question as yours. I so much want to try that duck but can't pay for double portion. Is it okay for you that we go together? Don't worry, you don't even have to talk to me. Please let me know your reservation date if you agree.

WoinParis Jan 11th, 2017 01:41 PM

'They sure like to hear themselves type, though.'

So do you mate, so do you.
At least I could give some advice on the size of the duck, honey. What is your contribution ?

Michael Jan 11th, 2017 03:29 PM

230€ for one dish, even if shared, is excessive for a one star restaurant.

menachem Jan 11th, 2017 07:09 PM

have something else, for Pete's sake.

it's like people who feel they *must* see the Mona Lisa at the Louvre. There's so much great stuff on that menu.

NewbE Jan 11th, 2017 07:15 PM

<At least I could give some advice on the size of the duck, honey.>
Men always do, and yet the portion is so often disappointing.

< What is your contribution ?>
I warm myself in your blasts of hot air. They also serve who only stand and wait.

mjs Jan 11th, 2017 09:42 PM

I had lunch with duck many years ago as a graduation present to myself. It was quite good and the staff was very nice. They moved us to a table with a view next to the window when a table opened up after our appetizers. This was however in the late 80's but I doubt if the duck has changed.

WoinParis Jan 11th, 2017 10:51 PM

'Men always do, and yet the portion is so often disappointing.'

Funny actually. I hope (for you) however thzt it doesn't explain your bitterness or snarkiness...

fuzzbucket Jan 11th, 2017 11:32 PM

We went to the Tour d'Argent one October evening in 1988, specifically to enjoy the duck.
It was a big production, the main part of the show was the silver duck press being wheeled out to our table, where the duck carcass was crushed before our eyes, to prove that there really was blood in the sauce.
The duckling is served in several small portions, and there was a flurry of activity heating the sauce at the table, etc.
It was hideously expensive, and we remembered the show which the waiters and sommeliers put on much more than we did the taste of the duck.

If you cannot go for lunch, I'd skip the whole thing.