Paris to Venice - Ryanair vs. Train

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Venice - Ryanair vs. Train

I am trying to find the best and most efficient way to get from Paris to Venice for 2 people.

Af first, I thought Ryanair's fare of 21.9 EUR per person (including taxes and fees), arriving at Venice (suburb) at 11:40am was unbeatable deal for about one and half hour of flight time.

However, on a second thought, I thought about how it would compare to taking an overnight train which cost 120 Euro per person from sncf.com.

Here are my calculations:

Plane - I must leave my hotel 4 hours prior to the departure time and transportation cost about 35 Euro for 2. After arriving Venice, it takes another 90 minutes and 26 Euro to get to the city. So total time, door to door would take about 7 hours and cost about 105 Euro total. To this I add 1 extra night of hotel, let say 150 Euro, for a grand sum of 255 Euro for taking Ryanair for 2.

Now the overnight train's duration is about 10.5 hours and cost 240 Euro for 2 in 1cl which gets to Venice at 9am. I would add about 1 hour to get to the train station and 5 Euro for a grand sum of 245 Euro.

I think I just convinced myself that the train is the smarter choice. What do you think?

Also, people in this board said if I bought train tickets 60 days in advance from sncf.com, there is some discount. I cannot seem to get this to work. I am traveling in May and cannot book it. Please help.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM
ira

Hi yoony,

Good analysis.

> people in this board said if I bought train tickets 60 days in advance from sncf.com, there is some discount. I cannot seem to get this to work. I am traveling in May and cannot book it. Please help. <

60 days from Feb 9 is some time around April 11.

Try plugging in March 31 for reduced fares, if any.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:33 PM

i may be missing some thing, but you could take the evening flight from paris to rome and not lose the "middle" of your day. and i think it's very cheap to get into venice from treviso...few euro and under 30 minutes. i think the ES train is 16 minutes into venice train station.

and is there a reason you must leave 4 hours before your flight?

just to play devil's advocate here: once you get in early into venice, can you drop your bags somewhere? or do you have to wait till check in? where as getting to venice (maybe the later flight) you go straight to the hotel and start fresh early the next day .
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:58 PM
rex

<<and is there a reason you must leave 4 hours before your flight?>>

From www.ryanair.com - -

"The bus will leave the car park 3 hours 15 mins prior to your flight departure time. The bus will be situated in the car park for coaches on Bd Pershing (nearby the hotel Concorde). "

So, maybe yoonny is "rounding" slightly, but it's true, departure from the hotel will have to be early enough to reach the bus stop by 6:55 am.

Even using the evening departure, this is one situation where taking the nonstop train from Paris Bercy makes the "competing" flight look fairly unfavorable.

I am sure there are some regulars on this forum who thought I would never - - gasp! - - say that an overnight train compares well to a "short flight".

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:04 AM

Fans of "cheap" flights usually overlook the time and expense of getting to and from airports. Flying from Paris to Venezia, you either spend a night in a hotel in Paris then a morning travelling, or spend an evening travelling followed by a night in a hotel in Venezia (both cities are expensive places to stay). The overnight train takes you directly to Santa Lucia station in the historic city. There is a left luggage office at the station, so you can get a feel for the city and get your bearings before going to a hotel and before the city gets too crowded with day-trippers.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Good to know there is left baggage in the train station. That's another plus!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 12:43 AM

Yoony, I agree with your analysis. You are even hard on yourself when you allow yourself a whole hour to get to Gare de Lyon. Depending on where you are in Paris, it's a matter of 20 to 50 minutes.
Another alternative would be to take the day train via Lausanne and Milan, which would make you use the TGV, and would thus cut the train ride by 2 to 3 hours.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:05 PM

I took the Paris - Venice overnight train last year on my honeymoon. I found it very easy and convenient. We arrived at the train station about 1 hour before departure, the cost was minimal, and we still had the whole day to spend in Paris. The train ride was nice - we went in June - so it was a little bit hot on the train but bearable. We arrived around 10 am and had the whole day to spend in Venice.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:28 AM

I am facing the same question. It seems like the travel time to/from the airports is significant and pretty inconvenient. Seeing as how this stretch would be the only overnight portion in our itinerary, I guess it may be worth it. There are so many mixed reviews about both methods of transport. Taking the train might be more "convenient" in terms of station location and being able to leave your bags at the station.