Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris to Switzerland...2.5 days in Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-to-switzerland-2-5-days-in-switzerland-1067428/)

insearchofheaven Aug 9th, 2015 07:33 AM

Paris to Switzerland...2.5 days in Switzerland

Hi,

Need advise for a last minute trip.

We are planning to take early morning train from Paris to Switzerland Monday on 17th August. We have a return flight from Zurich on Thursday 20 August morning 11 am. So we will basically have only about 2 days in Switzerland.

Please advise where to stay. We were thinking of taking train from Paris to Interlaken( transfer at Basel I guess) and stay there mon and Tuesday night and book Wednesday night at Zurich.

Please advise how to best use the 2.5 days.
I know time is just enough but we do plan to come back in a couple years hopefully for a more relaxed trip.
Advise train from InterlakenJbterlaken to Zurich
Also do u think we should buy a 3 day train pass in Switzerland.

Thanks

traveller1959 Aug 9th, 2015 07:42 AM

The train from Interlaken-West to Zürich Airport takes 2:11 with a change of trains in Bern. There is one departing at 6:00 and arriving at 8:16, so it is probably better to spend the night in an airport hotel.

After all, you will have two full days in Interlaken, enough to ride up into the mountains (depending on weather conditions). Alternatives would be visiting picturesque Luzern or historic Bern.

For more details and tariff information use the train company's website:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

insearchofheaven Aug 9th, 2015 08:22 AM

Thanks.

Also for the 2 days in Interaken( Monday afternoon to Wednesday evening train from Interlaken- Zuricj), how would you divide time there in Ibterlaken. A trip to Jungfrau maybe Tuesday as that is a full day. What should we do Monday half day ( hopefully will teach Interlaken by 1 pm) and Wednesday half day..
I still have to book train ticket from Paris to Interaken.. What website is what to make reservations?

Is it worth buying a 3 day Swiss rail pass.
We may be able to use it for Basel- Interlaken segment, maybe a train ride while in interlaken and then train ride from Interlaken to Zurich.
Thanks

PalenQ Aug 9th, 2015 08:23 AM

No to the 3-day train pass with that limited time but you may want to look into a Jungfraubahn Pass sold locally if you take several conveyances in the Jungfrau Region. but in that short of time a Swiss Pass would be overkill - for one thing it only covers the Jungfraujoch - to the summit of the Jungfrau Massif - 25% above Wengen nor Grindelwald.

Forlots on Swiss trains check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

and you do not want to go to Interlaken-West if you want to stay ip in the hills in a place like Wengen or Grindelwald where you will be eyeball to eyeball with glacier-girdled soaring Alpine peaks from your hotel balcony. Rather unless staying in Interlaken take the train from Bern to its terminus - Interlaken-Ost and then a train to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen or Wengen, etc.

nytraveler Aug 9th, 2015 08:47 AM

Please be aware that you can often wait a couple of days before you get one that is clear at the top of the mountains - and if it's not clear on top there is no reason to spend the time and money to ascend. You can stay in one of the towns on the lower slopes of the mountains and get nice views - but not ike from the top.

We waited 3 days in Interlaken before getting a day clear at top. During those days we drove to Thun, Brienz and Bern - so there are plenty of other things to do in the area - by train as well as car.

PalenQ Aug 9th, 2015 08:50 AM

www.voyages-sncf.com or www.capitainetrain.com for Paris to Switzerland trins - early bird gets the discounted worm -much cheaper than full fare.

And IME stay in a Grindelwald or Wengen and not Interlaken, a city that is nice but devoid of anything of real tourist interest - the spare day spend perhaps doing the famous Ridge Walk - take a gondolas to Mannlichen then walk a few miles to Kl Scheidegg - the best hike - easy hike and most popular one in the region.

Or take a lake boat trip on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz - plenty to do along those lakes.

insearchofheaven Aug 9th, 2015 09:37 AM

Thanks everyone.
Any suggestions for a good place to stay in Grindelwald( with 2 double beds.. We have 2 kids 5 and 7 yr old). How do I book?? a direct train from Paris to Basel And then to Grindelwald?
Thanks

PalenQ Aug 9th, 2015 01:07 PM

. We have 2 kids 5 and 7 yr old). How do I book?? a direct train from Paris to Basel And then to Grindelwald?>

The two French sites I gave above- earlier the better if wanting discounted tickets - but I would book Paris to Bern, a lot closer to Interlaken than Basel. Trains from Interlaken-Ost to Grindelwald you just buy at the Interlaken-West train station - not expensive.

insearchofheaven Aug 9th, 2015 09:56 PM

Thank you everyone.
@PalenQ, thanks for suggesting capitainetrain website. It worked unlike sncf which somehow doesn't accept US credit cards.. They direct you to raileurope which had much expensive fares.

I didn't get from Paris to Bern as the only train to Bern was after 6 pm from Paris.. I got early morning 7:23 am to Basel.
Now I guess will buy ticket from Basel to Grindenwald/ Weldon when I am there.
Any suggestions on accommodation there in either of these two you suggested.
Thanks a ton