Reload this Page >

Paris to Switzerland

Search

Paris to Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Jodi

Paris to Switzerland

Want to travel 3-4 days after trip to Paris in February. Thinking about Switzerland. Ideas ?

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Judith

I'm in the process of planning the same type of trip. However, I'm into it too far to make too many changes. We are going to Paris for a total of 4 nights, then to Burgandy for one night, on to Geneva for 3 nights and return to Paris for 1 night to fly home. <BR> <BR>I've done a pretty good amount of research on all three places. I'm having the most difficulty finding things that interest us in Geneva. We prefer historical sites over country side and I'm afraid Geneva offers more of the later. We're trying to find day trips for our type of interest using Geneva as a base since I'm using Hilton frequent hotel rewards for free nights. <BR> <BR>The reason I'm posting this is to give you a heads up to do more research on Switzerland and make sure the sites are in your area of interest. You may want to go further north in Switzerland (Zurich) or try Germany or Austria.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 01:12 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Jodi <BR>Personally would consider if you like <BR>a larger city with plenty of activities <BR>around it would pick Luzern over Zurich <BR>Rigi, Titlis and Pilatus are on hand, <BR>along with the lake and towns around it. <BR>Using Luzern as a base you can also <BR>consider Zurich as a day trip as by <BR>rail is about 55 mins.. Should you <BR>consider a more rustic area, strongly <BR>look at the Berneroberland, using <BR>Grindelwald, Wengen or Murren as your <BR>base, having the Jungfrau, Schlithorn <BR>Grindelwald First and others along with <BR>a multitude of hiking trails, along <BR>with the lakes of Brienz and Thun. <BR>If you want some urls to surf on specific areas drop me a line and will <BR>send them to you. Richard of La Grange Park, IL&gt;.. <BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Jay

Jodi, <BR> <BR>I totally agree with Richard about Luzern. Between Paris and Luzern lies Strasbourg - an outstanding city right across the Rhyne from the Baths in Baden Baden. <BR> <BR>Have a great time! <BR> <BR>jay <BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 04:01 AM
s

Jodi, <BR>Sorry, I can't add much to what r. vicek has suggested re: Lucerne and the Berner Oberland. I don't think you can go wrong there. <BR> <BR>Judith: <BR>I'm actually writing to suggest some things for your search for history near Geneva. Here are my suggestions, some of which I'm sure you've already found. <BR> <BR>Chateau du Chillon - 13C castle near Montreux, subject of Byron's poem. <BR> <BR>City of Nyon -- founded by Caesar, still has some Roman columns, a Roman museum, 16C castle. <BR> <BR>Village of Avenches -- founded by Augustus, has a Roman museum and Roman ruins. <BR> <BR>Village of Gruyeres -- 15C castle, town dates from 12-16C. <BR> <BR>City of Vevey -- I just like their old town filled w/antique shops. <BR> <BR>You can get more info at the websites: <BR>www.montreux.ch <BR>www.nyon.ch <BR>www.avenches.ch <BR>www.gruyeres.ch <BR>www.vevey.ch <BR>www.rail.ch (to check train schedules for your day trips). <BR> <BR>I also wonder why you're bothering to return to Paris, unless you just want one more day in the city. It would save some time to fly GVA-CDG. If it's too late to get your tickets in open-jaw, look into Easy Jet, which flies out of GVA. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! <BR> <BR>s

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 05:00 AM
s

Jodi: <BR>Sorry, I'm piggy-backing on your message again... <BR> <BR>Judith: <BR>Sorry, Easy Jet does not fly into Paris. As an alternative, you might want to check out www.zapfly.ch, run by Swissair. They're showing Geneva-Paris at 199 chf. <BR> <BR>Sorry for the mis-info and hope your plans all work great! <BR> <BR>s

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Judith

To: Swandav <BR>Thanks a bunch for the info....I only new of a couple of your suggestions and will check out the others....great info. <BR> <BR>I'm returning to Paris because I fly on frequent flyer miles on American Airlines...freeby trip. At the time we made our reservations, we hadn't decided on which country we were going to add to our trip. I'm also using Hilton rewards for my hotels in Paris and Geneva....another freebe...so we picked Geneva because it had the Noga Hilton. <BR> <BR>Basically, since our trip is free, American Airlines and Hilton determined a lot of our Itinerary. <BR> <BR>Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. Judith <BR>