Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris to Rome -- A Good Drive? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-to-rome-a-good-drive-281000/)

Deena Dec 22nd, 2002 03:52 PM

Paris to Rome -- A Good Drive?

Hi. <BR>I'm just starting to plan my honeymoon and need some advice. We will be getting married the last week of September. My fiancee has never been overseas, and has his heart set on Paris and Rome. <BR><BR>Since I have already seen these two cities extensively, I'd like to add something new and exciting for me too. <BR><BR>Do you think a drive from Paris to Rome -- with stops along the French and Italian Rivera will be too much for 2 weeks? <BR><BR>Please help. Any suggestions also welcome.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Deena

Rex Dec 22nd, 2002 04:04 PM

I think that it's an excellent idea - - allowing a good 7 days for the distance between the two (I have done it in 2 and a 1/2 which is fairly crazy). Keep in mind that you'll probably have a fairly hefty drop charge renting in France with a return in Italy.<BR><BR>But you could do a 3-7 day rental in France and a three day rental in Italy, taking the train from Nice to San Remo (only about an hour).<BR><BR>Whatever your decision, congratulations for your new life in marriage... and...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

up Dec 22nd, 2002 06:48 PM

topping, for Deena<BR>

BillF Dec 22nd, 2002 07:15 PM

I totally agree with Rex that this is not a good idea at all, wasting your time driving between Paris and Rome will not be much fun. Since it's your honeymoon I would recommend either one of the following two romantic getaways to France and Italy.<BR><BR>The Venice Plan:<BR>Day 1 - fly into Paris<BR>Day 2-5 - Paris<BR>Day 6 - fly to Venice<BR>Day 7-8 - Venice<BR>Day 9 - fly to Rome<BR>Day 10-13 - Rome<BR>Day 14 - fly home from Rome<BR><BR>The Amalfi Coast Plan:<BR>Day 1 - fly into Paris<BR>Day 2-5 - Paris<BR>Day 6 - fly to Naples boat to Capri<BR>Day 7-8 - Capri and Amafi Coast<BR>Day 9 - train to Rome<BR>Day 10-13 - Rome<BR>Day 14 - fly home from Rome<BR>

Rex Dec 22nd, 2002 08:42 PM

Was I not speaking English or something? I said that I think this IS a fine idea.<BR>

John Dec 22nd, 2002 09:12 PM

Well if Rex thinks this is a good idea then he's as totally nuts as has been reported on this forum.

BillF Dec 22nd, 2002 09:24 PM

John I don't know if I'd say that about Rex, I've seen some of his advice on this board and it's generally good. However, in this case I totally disagree with him (sorry Rex, I guess read your reply too quickly) and don't think that driving close to 1K miles during my honeymoon would be much fun. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather spend my time seeing the sights as opposed to driving long distances between them.

Carol Dec 22nd, 2002 09:46 PM

But what about the fabulous things to experience together along the way? Maybe it's the getting there that makes the experience. Just a thought.

Mary Dec 22nd, 2002 09:53 PM

On my honeymoon I would want to spend quality time together on a very romatic setting with my new hubby. I would much prefer going down the Gran Canal holding hands or enjoying the views from Capri rather than helping out with the route and maps down the Autostrada.

ann Dec 23rd, 2002 04:44 AM

Everyone's idea of what makes a good time is different. Lots of people love driving. Deena wasn't talking about driving between the two cities just to get from one to another. She wanted to SEE things. There are some very nice and romantic areas between Rome and Paris and as long as she leaves enough time (Rex's suggestion of a week sounds good) I think it could be very romantic. Book some great Karen Brown hotels/B&amp;Bs.<BR><BR>As far as the car rental - it is much more expensive to rent in Italy than in France due to not being able to use your credit card for the insurance. Therefore, even though there is a drop charge to go from one country to another, I am pretty sure it is still less than dropping off in Nice and renting a new one in San Remo (that was Rex's suggestion).

lily Dec 23rd, 2002 05:25 AM

I will have a car (not rental) while in Europe and wondering about driving straight from Paris to Florence/Rome to stay a few days. I don't wish to stop along the way or do the scenic route - just get there. How doable is it? Thanks for your help.

Rex Dec 23rd, 2002 07:02 AM

To lily - - probably a better idea to use www.airlibexpress.com<BR><BR>And in defense of my reply to Deena - - I think there is a certain snobbishness here (I am guilty of this sometimes) that &quot;WE&quot; know the &quot;best&quot; way to spend any trip. Deena indicated that this is what she WANTS to do, and asked if it is a good idea. I have done exactly this drive - - and with adequate time, I can say for certain it would make a great trip.<BR><BR>If someone asked me - - in a &quot;blank slate&quot; context - - how to spend two weeks in France and Italy, this might not be my first choice (it depends on how much time you want to spend in Italy). But that was not the question.<BR><BR>And I do not presume that there is one best way to spend a honeymoon that fits every couple. Not even every couple for which one person has never been to Europe.<BR>

lily Dec 23rd, 2002 08:39 AM

Thanks for the reply Rex. I guess flying is really the answer. And I've always found your replies helpful.

Deena Dec 23rd, 2002 09:28 AM

Thanks guys. <BR><BR>Personally, I'd rather drive or take a train then take an airplane to three different cities. <BR><BR>Any suggestions on what to see along the way? <BR><BR>Thanks for all of your help so far. <BR><BR>-Deena

anna Dec 23rd, 2002 10:54 AM

I think you should do an open jaw into Paris and out of Rome, and do a combination of train and car in between. You can spend 3-4 days in Paris, then take a train down to Provence (Avignon is about 4.5 hours from Paris and it's faster than driving). Once you're there you can rent a car for a few of days to see small town and village in Provence. Then you can take a train across the border like Rex suggested and spend a couple of days around Cinque Terre or Lake Como. There are a lot of possibilites between Paris and Rome, you could go through Switzerland if you wanted to also but I'm not sure about the weather at the end of September. I don't like driving extensively, so personally I would only rent a car in Provence or Tuscany. I think your plan is doable. Paris, Provence, Cinque Terre, and Rome would provide a nice mixture of town and country.

ttt Jan 10th, 2003 05:14 AM

to the top<BR>