Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris to Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-to-rome-1008292/)

whitneyd86 Mar 12th, 2014 10:19 AM

Paris to Rome

My husband and I are traveling from Paris to Rome at the end of July this summer (July 25th to be exact). We were hoping to take the thello overnight train just for the experience (even though we've heard it's very uncomfortable). But, they canceled the overnight Paris to Rome route in December. So, we're thinking we're going to have to fly, even though we didn't want to, because it seems to be the most economical way. So here is the question: is easyjet the best option for buying cheap flights from Paris to Rome? If so, when is the best time to buy? Or are there any other, better options? Any advice on this travel between countries? Thanks!

PalenQ Mar 12th, 2014 10:23 AM

You could join the overnight Thello Venice to Paris night train at some point like Verona or even Milan or if Venice is in your plans take the night train from there - is running now but future is dubious

Mimar Mar 12th, 2014 10:47 AM

Fly out of Paris Orly (easier to get to, less crowded) to Rome Fiumicino. That makes the best sense. If you're flying a budget airline, watch out for high baggage fees. Travel light.

AnnieA Mar 12th, 2014 11:00 AM

Just so you know - it will be quite hot and humid in July - so be prepared to sweat! Also, Italians usually take their vacations in July and August and when they vacation, they go for a whole month and close their businesses. While the larger ones in Roma will probably stay open, there is a good chance that a lot of the smaller more unique shops will be closed.

Be sure you see the Fontana di Trevi and the Piazza di Spagna (lots of neat shops near there and you can walk to the Trevi fountain from the steps.) Also, take a tour to some of the catacombs - very interesting - and I'm sure you won't miss vatican city, the Colosseum and walk through the ruins in the middle of downtown!

Have a great time!

kybourbon Mar 12th, 2014 11:03 AM

Yes, make sure you book EasyJet from Orly, not CDG.

If flights are released by EJ for your dates already, then it's usually best to book with them as far in advance as you can to get the best prices.

You can look at skyscanner.com to see which regular airlines serve this route, but most will be out of CDG. They tend to keep prices down because of the competition from budget flights like EJ.

Southam Mar 12th, 2014 03:28 PM

easyJet is good value, but be sure to read the website and follow all the directions. You can check in well in advance, you will pay a lot extra for extra baggage, etc. Last time I took this flight the boarding area was clogged with people trying to jam all their hand-carried items into one bag because the limit is ONE bag, not a bag and purse and a computer.

opaldog Mar 12th, 2014 03:45 PM

We have used Easyjet from Orly to Ciampino and took the bus into the city. It was easy. Do watch the weight of your luggage. The boarding area was also very chaotic at both Orly and Ciampino but once on board it was fine.

Man_in_seat_61 Mar 13th, 2014 04:41 AM

There's no problem experiencing Ital;y's 175mph 'Frecciarossa' trains Rome-Milan then the Thello sleeper train Milan-Paris.

You can book as one journey at www.italiarail.com, but this only allows the minimum 15 minutes to change in Milan, I'd book each leg separately so you can allow at least an hour in Milan, to look around the magnificent landmark that it Milano Centrale station, and stock up on some wine and picnic for the sleeper.

Details here: http://www.seat61.com/thello-train-f...s-to-italy.htm

Personally, I'd take an evening train Rome-Turin from €29, www.trenitalia.com, stay overnight in a hotel, then take a TGV from there to Paris next morning, much higher-quality than the sleeper, see www.seat61.com/Paris-to-Milan-by-TGV-train.htm

In fact, Turin is a lovely city and well worth a look-round (even if you're not as huge a fan of the 1969 Michael Caine film 'The Italian Job' as I am!) then taking the late afternoon TGV to Paris!

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2014 09:29 AM

There's no problem experiencing Ital;y's 175mph 'Frecciarossa' trains Rome-Milan then the Thello sleeper train Milan-Paris.>

You join the Venice to Milan night train,leaving Milan at 22:55 or so - again if Venice is in your plans you could take it direct from Venice.