Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PAris to Riviera: Marseille or Nice? and where to stay?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Robert

Hi,

I am flying in to Paris (CDG) and want to head straight to the south of France. A few questions:
- should I fly or take TGV? Can I get TGV at CDG? where does TGV go in south of France?
- looking at Marseille or Riviera area: any preferences for beachfront towns to stay in (Marseille or Nice areas)? any recommendations on reasonable ($150-$200 beachfront hotels?

Thanks.

Robert

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:13 AM
jjjjjj

La perouse in Nice, you don't need to spend that much though to get a nice hotel in Nice.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Christina

I think you should just fly as long as you're at the airport already. It's much quicker so you save all that time, and just as cheap or cheaper than the TGV, usually. Your bags should automatically get transferred, so it is really a lot more convenient and you'll arrive less worn out (and a lot earlier). Fly into Marseille or Nice, depending on your plans. You can get a TGV at the airport; it goes down to Lyon, then Avignon, then Aix, Marseille, Nice (although it's not high speed after some point, Marseille, I think). If you went to Nice by TGV, you wouldn't get there until 6 pm or later, but the flight is less than 2 hrs.