Paris to Pisa and Cinque Terra

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying from Paris to Pisa in mid-May, arriving around 1630. Thinking of either going straight to Cinque Terra and doing some hiking or maybe staying the night in Pisa (and seeing the Tower) and then going to CT the next day to spend one or two nights. I'd be going to Rome after CT.

I thought the weather would be nice for hiking and it would be a nice break between touring two large cities.

Which option would you choose? Can I get a go feel for the CT with one afternoon of hiking, a night and then the next morning hiking before pressing on to Rome?

What would be the rail connection(s) to the CT and also from the CT to Rome?
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 10:34 AM
ira

Hi NS,

I'm not interested in the tower, so I would go on to the CT.

You can take the 17:53 to Pisa Centrale and connect with the 18:48 to Riomaggiore via La Spezia. Arr 20:08.

With almost an hour in Pisa, you might even get to see the tower.

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

irs, thanks for the info.

Would La Spezia be a good place to stay or would it be better go on to Riomaggiore?
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM

Either stay in Pisa or go all the way to one of the 5 ( = cinque) terre towns (Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, Riomaggiore). Check them out at http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/avong/cinque_terre/

In Pisa, the tower is cool, it really leans, more than it looks on pictures, and the nearby center of the town is quaint, with a bunch of good pedestrian-only little streets to stroll, stretch your legs and work up an appetite. Stay in the center for a feel of the town, not by the airport.

La Spezia is a railway hub, nothing too special, might as well go all the way to where you're booked if staying in Pisa doesn't appeal.

Check out your train options at www.trenitalia.it - the trains stop right by the Pisa airport. Input Pisa aeroporto and whichever town from the five. I looked at Monterosso, it's as quick as 1:31 (with two transfers, one in Pisa Centrale and another in La Spezia, on the EuroStar where you have to book and pay extra for a seat), or as slow as 2:24 with one transfer in Pisa Centrale and a slow local train from there.

The earliest you can be in one of the 5 towns is about 7PM, time to check in and head for a drink before dinner - I'd say spend the night in Pisa and take an early train the next morning, I got a kick out of that tower, and so did my camera...

WK
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:54 AM
ira

Hi NS,

I agree with WK, don't bother staying in La Spezia.

Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:51 AM

hi,
I agree too, donīt stay in La Spezia, itīs not good place for hiking. I suggest Riomaggiore. You can walk to Corniglia and continue to Monterosso if you have enough time and force and go back by train...after CT Pisa will be quite boring..Pisa is located in the lowland and there is only the Tower, nothing more interesting...
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional inputs. I think two nights should give me enough time to hike and perhaps take a boat trip.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

ttt