Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris to Normandy on a Sunday (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-to-normandy-on-a-sunday-1004738/)

merrytimes Feb 2nd, 2014 04:40 PM

Paris to Normandy on a Sunday

We(2 grandparents ,plus 5 other family members) would like to leave Paris by train(on July6-Sunday) and pick up a vehicle at a railstation .We are also open to picking it up in Normandy, but we are having a problem (overall) because it is a Sunday.

THen on JuLy 11 we would like to leave the vehicle at a railstation , so we can take the train to Charles de Gaulle airport arriving by 8:30 am to catch our flight for 11.45.

In hindsight , we probably should have gone to Normandy first , and use our time in Paris at the end of our trip , we would have avoided traveling on a Sunday.

We would appreciate any suggestions .

Thank you ,

Merrytimes

JAMH Feb 2nd, 2014 05:36 PM

My suggestion is that you just drive from Paris to Normandy and then drive to CDG to return your car. I can't think of a city in Normandy where you an pick up a rental car on a Sunday. Then there is the question of getting to CDG by 8:30 by train from Normandy. I just don't think that there are trains that will get you to CDG by 8:30 AM. Frankly, I do not like having to traveling from outside if Paris on departure day so I would probably return the car in Normandy on July 10th and take the train to Paris and spend the night there or return the car in Paris or CDG on the 10th. Third choice would be driving from Normandy on the morning of the 11th.

StCirq Feb 2nd, 2014 05:59 PM

You might be able to pick up a car in Caen at the rail station on a Sunday (but you might pay an extra fee to do that - Auto Europe sometimes has charged me 25 euros for someone to come and deliver me a car on a Sunday).

There are no trains direct to CDG from Normandy, and certainly none that will get you there in your timeframe, so you're going to have to go into Paris, change from an SNCF station to an RER station to get to the airport the night before, or take a taxi and spend the last night in Paris or at a hotel airport, where there will be a shuttle.

merrytimes Feb 2nd, 2014 06:08 PM

Thank you both for your suggestions. I can see the problems , perhaps we will have to go into Paris a day earlier , it would certainly be easier on the sleep.
HOwever , Im liking the idea of trying to rent the car in Caen , will look into that .

Thank you ,

Merrytimes

Robert2533 Feb 2nd, 2014 06:49 PM

merrytimes, are you planning on visiting upper or lower Normandy. This is not a small geographical area.

RonZ Feb 2nd, 2014 07:19 PM

I would advise speaking with someone at Autoeurope using the toll free number. Rent the van the day before in Paris and then drive out on Sunday. A good place is the Gare du Nord, because from with two turns out of the garage you can get directly to the highway. Then dump the car at the end and take a train back to Paris the night before your flight.

RonZ Feb 2nd, 2014 07:22 PM

Assuming you are flying into CDG, another possibility is to land and drive out. Les Adeleys is a popular first night stop. Then train back to Paris, staying there last.

RonZ Feb 2nd, 2014 07:28 PM

[Oops]. Les Andelays is 100km from CDG.

JAMH Feb 2nd, 2014 07:40 PM

Switching the trip around so that Paris is the last part of the trip is the better plan but the OP seems to be suggesting in the the question that this is not an option. If the change of the itinerary can be done, that would be great.

merrytimes Feb 3rd, 2014 05:01 AM

Wow , so grateful for everyone's input . No doing the trip in reverse is not an option now as we are booked in Paris, and also in Lower Normandy, near Percy.In hindsight , we would not do it this way again.

RonZ - I'am assuming that it is quite easy to get out of Gare du Nord, (by your comments) and right out to the highway.
Yes, our concern was having to deal with Paris traffic, and not knowing our way around .What time would you suggest would be best to leave from Gare du Nord?

Gretchen Feb 3rd, 2014 05:48 AM

Are you planning to see the upper part of Normandy--not that it isn't possible, but Percy seems to be a little off the beaten track for the usual Normandy coaxt trip.
If in Bayeux, you could train there, check into your hotel and get your car the next day.
I think the difficulty with this will be getting one vehicle large enough for the party and the luggage. AND being sure it will be available at the rental point.
Would you consdider changing from Percy perhaps, or maybe this is the crux of your trip planning and desire to see.

flpab Feb 3rd, 2014 06:24 AM

We rented our car in Caen because of the drop off and pick up times. The train from Paris to Caen.

merrytimes Feb 3rd, 2014 06:51 AM

Thank you all of you for your continued input!
Gretchen we planned ongoing to D Day Beaches etc. and since we had planned to be in Lower Normandy for 5 nights , we thought it all doable.I hear you re regards the size of our vehicle , would pose a problem .
Now it looks like we should forfeit the 5th night and head back by train into Paris, as it will be easier on all of us with our flight leaving for Canada in the morning.

Hindsight again!We could have simplified things if I had gone onto this site , as I have in the past ---DAAA!

Still thinking that now it is best if we do what RonZ suggested , it seems like it would not be that challenging to drive out of Gare du NOrd.
We have been to Paris several times , but never had to think about driving, as we always trained.

flpab-Did you rent your car on a Sunday, as you see that seems to be the issue.We would not have a problem with Caen, if that would work?

StCirq Feb 3rd, 2014 06:54 AM

CALL AutoEurope and ask. Driving out of Paris has never been an issue for me, no matter what the day. From the Gare du Nord it's pretty darned easy.

Gretchen Feb 3rd, 2014 07:05 AM

I hate you'll miss the coast around Honfleur, etc. Be sure everyone packs with the size of the rental van in mind.

RonZ Feb 3rd, 2014 08:02 AM

Pull up a google map of Gare du Nord. From the garage below the station ["A"] you turn right, then right again crossing the tracks, then the first left and north directly to the Peripherique at the Porte de la Chapelle.

Driving directions on viamichelin--starting point Porte de la Chapelle 75018 Paris.

merrytimes Feb 3rd, 2014 08:13 AM

Wow ,you guys are so great and helpful !

Will share this with our son this evening .
Thank you .