Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris to Nice - flight options? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-to-nice-flight-options-876399/)

tengohambre Feb 3rd, 2011 10:10 AM

Paris to Nice - flight options?

We need to fly from Paris to Nice return this summer and we are looking at flight options. So far it seems the only two are EasyJet and Air France. Does anyone know if any other carriers might fly the route? I'm surprised that there is so little competition, other than the train. Thanks.

yorkshire Feb 3rd, 2011 10:25 AM

try whichbudget.com

Michael Feb 3rd, 2011 11:28 AM

Try Expedia. It seems to offer discount fares on regular airlines, i.e. Air France, maybe.

From my recent research, it offers the lowest fares from Paris to Rome.

flanneruk Feb 3rd, 2011 12:01 PM

The universal answer to your question - certainly in Europe, and I'm mystified so many non-Europeans seem to come from places where this apparently isn't the case - is to go to the airports' website and see what they say.

All carriers to and from a specific destination will be listed: since there are two airports in Paris but just one in Nice it's more efficient in this case to go only to the Nice site.

tengohambre Feb 3rd, 2011 01:28 PM

Thanks, I will check. I often do do google airports to see which carriers go in and out but, with Nice, I thought it would be an easier find.

tengohambre Feb 3rd, 2011 01:41 PM

All I'm finding on the non stop route is EasyJet and AF. If anyone knows a different carrier that info would be appreciated. Thanks.

rhkkmk Feb 3rd, 2011 03:23 PM

any thought of flying jfk to nice and home from paris, or visa versa? train might be almost as quick from paris as well?

allow plenty of connection time for international flights if an inter france flt is involved as they are often delayed.

can we come?

buy mephistos in nice for 1/3 the price of usa.

where are you going to stay in nice? want an apartment in Paris? send me an e mail

Underhill Feb 3rd, 2011 03:46 PM

Check the Air France European site for discounts for couples and families. We had good luck with that--and when we got to the airport early we were offered seats on a flight an hour before the one we had booked. There are flights just about every hour.

tengohambre Feb 3rd, 2011 05:22 PM

Thank you for the advice on the AF site for family or couple tkt offers. That's a great idea.

Bob: you can come if you handle all the GMs.

fmpden Feb 3rd, 2011 07:38 PM

I think the train would be quicker and more convenient.

TimS Feb 4th, 2011 04:42 AM

Why not fly one way and take the train the other way?

If you book well in advance, you won't beat easyJet's fares (as low as €36.99 each way).

If you book well in advance (up to three months allowed) at www.tgv-europe.com, you can get a 2nd class Prem's fare as low as €22.00 or a 1st class Prem's fare as low as €40.00 for a direct TGV between Paris and Nice. To keep the site in English and to avoid being bumped to the Rail Europe site which doesn't offer discount fares, choose Great Britain as your country of residence.

tengohambre Feb 4th, 2011 01:12 PM

Thank you. We will look at the one way TGV option. Since we arrive at CDG and want to head to Nice the flt from CDG upon arrival makes sense.

The TGV takes about 6-7 hours?

Returning to Paris, if we do fly, even if we don't know our hotel there yet, is it a safer bet that Orly is closer to the city center? Thanks.

Christina Feb 4th, 2011 01:21 PM

It would make more sense to me to fly into Nice and take the train to Paris, not what you are planning. First, if you arrive at CDG it's not often that much trouble to transfer to a flight to Nice -- it often doesn't even cost any more if you are on Air France, as I've done that several times. Or it costs about US$20. That is a very long train trip, also, upon arrival but that depends where you are flying from and I'm not clear on that. If it is transatlantic, yikes, you'll be traveling days altogether.

It doesn't make that much sense to fly from Nice to Paris unless you are then flying out of Paris back home and that is a onnection, but then you'll have to get from the airport into the city to your hotel.

I just don't understand why you'd want to take the train to Nice but fly back to Paris -- yes, Orly is closer to city center, but with public transportation, that isn't so important as getting the flight you want at the best price IMO

ParisAmsterdam Feb 4th, 2011 01:31 PM

TGV to Nice is 5 hrs 30 minutes

tengohambre Feb 4th, 2011 05:57 PM

I was not clear. Yes, I would arrive on an int'l flight at CDG early in the morning. Then it seems it makes sense to catch the flight to Nice.

I didn't realize the TGV was only five and a half hours.....