Ireland Driving Tour suggestions -- First trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip for this October with a friend. We're both newbies! Lots to see and do but don't want to spend our whole time driving. Please let me know your thoughts and if this is doable:

Arrive in Dublin October 20th, tour city and rest from overnight trip (Stay in Dublin)
Day 2 (Oct 21) Day trip to Newgrange, Evening at Dublin pub (Stay in Dublin);
Day 3 (Oct 22nd) Leave Dublin to Kilkenny, Tour city (Stay in Kilkenny)
Day 4 (Oct 23rd) Leave Kilkenny to Cork, Blarney castle, pubs (Stay in Cork)
Day 5 (Oct 24th) Explore Cork city (Stay in Cork)
Day 6 (Oct 25th) Leave Cork to Killarney, Exlplore Park (Stay in Killarney)
Day 7 (Oct 26th) Bus trip ROK or Dingle/Skellig Island, Do these exist? (Stay Killarney)
Day 8 (Oct 27th) Leave Killarney to Galway (3hrs) stop in adare (Stay Galway)
Day 9 (Oct 28th) day trips Clifden? Cliffs of Moher? (Stay Galway)
Day 10 (Oct 29th) Leave 8am to Shannon Airport, return car, flight at 12:20pm

I'm sure I'm off on some of the areas and missing some must do's so any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. We have not booked yet as we we're also wondering if we should do this going the other way, IE Shannon to Dublin
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Dingle/skellig does not make sense as Dingle is even farther from departure point than Killarney. Trips to skelligs leave early and are very weather dependent. kwren has just written a TR which includes a trip to the skelligs. Click on her name and read the description of the trip before you commit to it. I'm not trying to discourage you, because visiting is a powerful experience, but just letting you know that you should be aware of what you are getting into.

There are bus tours around the Ring of Kerry. Deros is one--google it. (I am not recommending Deros over any of the others, it is just the one that I remember off the top of my head.) They are all informative and a rest from driving. However, going on your own means that you can stop when and where you want. You can also visit Staigue Fort which is a pretty impressive prehistoric site. It is off the main road and is up a road too narrow for busses, so none can go up there.

There is a certain guide book author who encourages readers to drive the ROK clock wise to avoid tour busses. Well you will meet them head on. My rec. is to drive counterclockwise as you will be driving on the left and means that you will be on the inside rather than the edge looking down at the sea. You will be driving in the same direction as tour busses so you can leave early (most of them will leave between 10 and 10:30 a.m.) to stay ahead of them or you can leave later and they will be gone by the time you arrive anywhere on the ROK. I have driven this route many times and prefer the counterclockwise direction by a long shot.

A day trip to Clifden from Galway will give you a chance to see some of Connemara which is beautiful wild country--sheep all over the roads, peat bogs and turf being cut, Connemara ponies running free, etc.

As far as the Cliffs of Moher are concerned,you could make a stop there on your way to Galway.

These suggestions are just based on my experience and on my feelings, so feel free to ignore or take them into consideration.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

irishface,

Thank you for your reply. I have read a little about Skellig. Not sure if we're going to have a day to do it, or as you said will be able to with weather. I have actually read some of kwren's report but didn't see the skelligs part yet, I'll look for it.

Dingle was more trying to decide ROK or Dingle, any thoughts on one over the other?

Also thank you for the suggestions of counterclockwise. I don't really want to face the buses, driving on the left will take enough getting used to.

Noticed you're from Massachusetts, was born there, will be passing by you on Friday on our way to Newfound lake. Should be packing for that trip but keep getting distracted with my Ireland planning.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 03:35 PM

kwren's entry to the skellig trip is on July 4@3:18 pm==a little short of halfway through.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 03:39 PM

I have an idea where Newfound lake is. A college friend lived in that area.

Will think of you driving through MA tomorrow, assume you will be going up 95. Ihave lived at both sides of Mass. Born and brought up on Cape Cod, then went away for nearly fifty years, forty of which were spent in the Berkshires (westernmost county in MA) After retirement came back to my roots to join my sibs and other family.

What part of MA was your birth town?
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

I was born in Holden, sisters in Clinton and dad grew up in Sterling. We moved to MD when I was one but still tell people its home.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 04:10 PM

You asked about Dingle vs Ring of Kerry....we much preferred Dingle and the Dingle Peninsula. Lots of ruins, thatched cottages, gorgeous views, and not crowded at all. We also spent 3 nights in Dingle, so as to enjoy the 'trad' music in the pubs. A charming village. Unless you must, Blarney Castle can be missed, in my opinion. Crowded with visitors and not even the best castle to visit. Outside of Shannon is Bunratty, which we liked better for the castle, and the folk village. A major tourist spot, but more interesting, IMO. Near Cork, in Cobh, is a wonderful immigrant museum (also a Titanic museum, if that's your interest)as Cobh was the last stop for departures from Ireland to America during the famine in the mid 1800's. We also loved Kinsale and Kenmare, if you can work those in. In fact, preferred them to Kilkenny, with maybe the exception of the castle there. Ireland is fabulous...whatever you do, you will enjoy! If it was me, I would reverse the direction...flying into Shannon, hiring the car, driving the countryside that you choose, and then leaving from Dublin (return the car BEFORE your time in Dublin!!!) Have a great time!!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

dodi66,
Thanks for responding, had Bunratty on original list but dropped it when it started looking like too much. Also original plan was into Shannon out of Dublin but as irishface mentioned I was worried about driving against the tour buses but I guess that's mainly concerning ROK. I'm off to check out Kinsale and Kenmare. Thanks so much for your input!