Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris to Los Angeles non-stop Air France or Delta? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-to-los-angeles-non-stop-air-france-or-delta-264675/)

linda Oct 9th, 2002 10:07 AM

Paris to Los Angeles non-stop Air France or Delta?

I am flying Paris to LA in a few months time and because I am transporting my cat back (in the cabin) with me to the US, I prefer to fly non-stop if possible. In the past, I have hated flying Air France. I live in Paris and dread taking Air France even for regional flights because their staff are rude, they are really lousy at customer service and I can't help but think that they are going to be horrible for 12 hours straight! <BR><BR>I usually fly United internationally, but they have supended their non-stop CDG LAX flight.<BR><BR>I notice that Delta flies this route as well-however, some flights are marked operated by Air France. So, I am wondering if anyone has flown this route lately on either Air France or Delta and how the flights were-was the Delta flight really Delta or was it Air France equipment and crew? Any information would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Linda

slider Oct 9th, 2002 11:53 AM

Linda,<BR>You and your beast seem to be the problem, not AF. Have you got any consideration for the humans on the plane who can not tolerate those animals. Of course not. You are Linda with a cat animal. I have flown Air France several times, LAX/CDG and other routes. The staff are very courteous to all humans. Get a life, but you are probably too old for that. Anyway, happy to see that you will not be on AF so I can safely enjoy one of the best airlines in the air.<BR><BR>

CoachBoy Oct 9th, 2002 12:01 PM

Hey "slider"...why the nastiness? So she travels with her cat? God forbid she have noisy, smelly children too!!!<BR><BR>linda-<BR><BR>I haven't flown delta recently, but took a 777 AF last year from LAX-CDG. I had no problems, and the help was fairly nice.<BR><BR>You wouldn't be smiling either if your owned airline stock in you 401K :^(<BR><BR>CoachBoy

leo Oct 9th, 2002 12:43 PM

Agree with coach boy. What's the big deal with a cat?<BR><BR>Linda Flight is af all the way. Give them anoyher chance. Flew af JFK to CDG last week without problems.

Jason Oct 9th, 2002 01:06 PM

Linda<BR>The aircraft is AirFrance.Part of the crew is Delta.It is what is called a "CodeShare"yet another marketing ploy by the airlines.Does help however as far as frequent flyer benefits.Personally I like AirFrance and I always fly economy.To me its another French experience, an extension of being in France so to speak.You and the pet will be fine.<BR>Jason

Amy Oct 9th, 2002 01:25 PM

Good decision to take with you in the cabin, so it doesn't get lost or, but is the cat going to cry all the way across the Atlantic? Are you planning to sedate the animal? Do they let you bring the cat directly into the U.S.? I thought an animal had to be in quarantine for a period of time before they would let it in.<BR><BR>I am not a fan of Air France OR Delta, and both those non-stop flights are, in actuality, Air France. So if you know you don't like Air France, fly on United or Lufthansa or British Airways. Better yet, go to London and take Virgin Atlantic. You'll like that!

jack Oct 9th, 2002 06:45 PM

slider, if you were really so smart as oyur backside sems to be then you would ahve realised that linda does not fly regularly with a cat. Linda has said nothing to indicate that this would be more than her 2nd time to fly with the cat. <BR><BR>So Linda may i ask if you brought the cat over with you in the first place or did you obtain it in Paris? if you brought it over than can I assume the experience was not good? but if it was why not just go with the same mob as before?<BR><BR>Now about AF. I have had excellent, poor and in between experiences with them. I am confident though that they are more likely to bump off passengers if they are overbooked than other major airlines who seem to me to be a bit more creative in finding solutins to overbooking problems. This can be an advanatge if you do not care when you actually leave because if they bump you off the flight they compensate you (EU300 last time plus hotel and 3 meals). Something to think about.

linda Oct 10th, 2002 12:16 AM

Wow-didn't realize my question would bring out such anger about my poor cat. Thanks for the info regarding the AF flight-sounds like I should give them another try.<BR><BR>No-I do not fly regularly with my cat-this is simply the return trip from a job transfer. We did bring her over in the cabin and she is very silent-one small meow when we had some turbulence. Nothing to compare to the crying 2 year old on the Chicago Paris leg :) We didn't drug her-we had planned to ship her cargo and they went on strike the night before we left so had to bring her in the cabin-she seemed okay-just scared- a bit like the rest of us these days :)<BR><BR>I would love to fly Virgin, but taking pets in/out London is a hassle, so I think I will stick with a Paris departure where there are no problems.

Felines Oct 11th, 2002 09:38 AM

Cats Suck!

Felines Oct 11th, 2002 09:39 AM

Cats Suck! Alot of people are allergic to cats - No one is allergic to kids. Face it - you miniature lion is an Animal put him under the plane where he belongs!!!