Paris to French Rivera or Italy?

May 2nd, 2002, 05:31 AM
Paul

Paris to French Rivera or Italy?

Hi,
First, let me thank everyone for the great replies to my previous messages. I've found this website to be one the best resources for my travel.

Now, here's my question - Is it better to go to the French Rivera or Monte Carlo for a few days during my trip in the end of May or better to go to Italy (Florence/Venice/Rome). The Italian rail site lists 12 hours to florence which seems too long to travel. Does anyone have any experience in going to Italy or to Monaco? Unfortunately, my round trip ticket arrives in Paris and leaves from Paris, so this will be my base.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

May 2nd, 2002, 05:39 AM
beth anderson

well, I can tell you this little bit for perspective (unless of course you decide to fly, then it does not matter)

The little town of Menton, right down the coast from Monte Carlo (about 11KM), is the half way point between Paris and Rome. You'd be going twice as far to get to Rome.

are you just looking to relax and soak up some rays, do you want to hike, do you want to go to great museums, what would you like to do with these couple of days (how many actually?)

Beth

May 2nd, 2002, 05:52 AM
Deborah

We were in Monaco last year the end of May, just watch out for the Grand Prix race which is around that time, Menton was very nice but the small perched villages were the best. All depends on what you like, my husband enjoyed the race scene, I liked the villages. Have a great trip. Deborah

May 2nd, 2002, 05:54 AM
amy

I echo Beth's question: what do you expect to be doing on your trip?

I understand the desire to see these areas (I've gone to all of them and liked all of them) but what type of trip are you seeking?

You obviously are questioning any travel time, so that's one major concern, right?

Well,you may not want to think "train." We went to Riviera by flying in and out of Paris. I was driving myself nuts trying to nail down perfect train schedule, trying to decide which we should do first, Riviera or Provence, when Rex emailed me and said, "You know, you can fly round trip Paris/ Nice for $123."

So before you commit to a train, you might want to check out some Air Liberte (usually Orly) or Air France (quite a few out of CDG)rates.

Next, do you need to go even as far as the Riviera? When I saw, "May," I thought, "Ooh, perfect time to do Provence...a bit before prime tourist season, good weather, easy access (3 hrs. TGV straight from CDG)." But that brings to mind the next question: "Are you traveling alone?" That may impact your choices.

May 3rd, 2002, 09:50 AM
xxx

Although I know many people that enjoy Monte Carlo, it wasn't one of my favorite places. It certainly depends on what you enjoy and are looking for. I'd prefer a few quiet days in a smaller town/village, close to the sea, away from the hordes of people.