Paris to Frankfurt and points in between

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Frankfurt and points in between

My husband, 7 year daughter and I have been planning a two week trip to Paris and surrounding areas for next August. Now my husband is saying that he'd like to visit a friend in Frankfurt while we are there.

So, what we are thinking about is to spend 4-5 days in Paris, then rent a car and take a week or so to take in the highlights of Champagne, Lorraine, Alsace, the Black Forest and parts of the Rhine, spending the last 2-3 days in Frankfurt.

I know that's a lot to do in two weeks! Does this sound reasonable at all? Any suggestions on how to divide our time between the regions? Suggestions for family friendly activities or places to stay are also very appreciated.

thanks!

Beth
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:25 PM
rex

I think that it's quite a good plan, but you should be aware that there could be a hefty surcharge to return a French car in Germany (or vice versa). On a positive note, cars rented from Strasbourg (or returned there) can be specified as either French or German, per your wish. Maybe the Paris part of your itinerary could come last? Fly into Strasbourg, do your week of touring, then take the car back to Paris and turn it in there?

More than one way to skin this cat.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Oh, now there's something I hadn't thought of! I knew there was a dropoff charge but never considered renting in Strasbourg instead. We'll definitely have to look into this!

thanks,
Beth
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I believe that someone mentioned that it is possible to rent the car in Paris, drop it off in Strasbourg and then rent a "German" car in Strasbourg to be dropped off in Frankfurt. You might want to ask Autoeurope if they do that.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael, Strasbourg is a great possibility!

There seems to be lots of information on Alsace on this board, but not as much on Lorraine. I'm interested in maybe seeing Nancy and Verdun. Do people think these are worth taking a day for, or would another day in Alsace be a better idea?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 04:28 PM

We rented from Avis 2 year ago and didn't incur a drop-off fee going from Paris to Frankfurt. Our route took us through southern Holland and the Netherlands, which I also recommend.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 12:07 AM

Nancy is worth a stop. It has a famous 18th century square and, if memory serves me right, a good decorative arts museum. I have not been to Verdun. If you take a more southern route, Troyes and Ronchamp (Le Corbusier chapel) shold be seen.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

OK, I guess I will need to shop around for rental cars! Besides Avis, does anyone know which particular companies do or do not charge a drop off fee if I rent in Paris and return in Frankfurt?
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:48 AM

Just return from Europe. Driving from Paris to Frankfurt over 3 days. Very Pleasant trip. Colmar, about 70Km from Strabourg, is worth a half day trip, esp if you like history and old fashion towns.
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:57 AM

The small vills in Lorraine are not as interesting as those in Alsace. The war memorials/cemeteries are a different matter, stunning, but depressing.
The Moseltal is IMHO better than the Rhine and Black Forest.
Trier to Koblenz is a very relaxing drive. Castle Burg Eltz is the best in Europe.
In Alsace, I love Riquewihr (Hot l'Oriel and Rest le Sarment d'Or).
Loire and Champagne are VG.
FRA is a new New York - the wonderful Kempinski Hot Gravenbruch in Neu-Isenburg has Fri/Sat discounts of nearly 2/3 rds and is S of the city/very close to the FRA airport - best for your last night.
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:17 AM

A nice activity to do with your 7yr old is to go the the "Europa-Park", which is an amusement park that has areas themed after countries in Europe, and with lots of rides, etc. It is located in Rust, on the Rhine, between Strasbourg and Freiburg.
http://www.europapark.de/index.php?lang=en

As to Nancy, yes, it is very nice, but also visit Metz on your way. The stained-glass windows in the cathedral were designed by Marc Chagall. As for Verdun, the town itself is dreary, as are the battlefields. But check out the Douaumont fort - you can tour it and get a feel for the terrible conditions the soldiers fought in. Overall a somber place - my great-grandfather fell there.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Haven't checked this thread in a while, but thanks for the suggestions! Our plans are a little up in the air right now. It turns out my husband's friend doesn't live so near Frankfurt after all, but acutally in Gutersloh, which all I've heard anyone say about is "it's boring". So not sure how our route may take us if we end up going there, possibly through Belgium?

chtiet, I'm sure my daughter would love Europa-Park, thanks for that idea! My husband and I do love historical places, charming villages, and of course good food and wine, so Alsace overall sounds wonderful and I hope we do make it there!

Beth