Italy - Need a stop over suggestion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family (3 children ages 11, 8 & 8) is doing a rode trip from Luxembourg to Sicily this summer. On the way back we will be traveling from Sicily to Cinque Terre, Italy and would like a one-night stop over suggestion please. We will be stopping on the way TO Sicily in Pompeii so looking for something different for the ride back, but not Rome as there is too much to see there for an overnight stay. We will save that for another time! Thank you for suggestions!
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 12:16 PM

Wow! You are brave souls!
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 03:00 PM

So this is a trip of maybe 1400-1500 KM's?!
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 03:56 PM

we like to chase thermal water... and it's a thermal town... but good for anyone... Viterbo. It's NW of Rome... in beautiful countryside... not too far from Civita di Bagnoregio if you wanted to visit that.

They are known for their 'wild spas'.. which is to say, little community-made thermal pools that are free. But they also have a great, huge very warm pool that is a lovely spot for a day's rest.

We absolutely loved Villa Farinella in Viterbo... in the country, but almost in town...
so much to choose from...
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 04:14 PM

I'd stay in Civita di Bagnoregio or Orvieto. The geography and history of these towns should fascinate your family. There are a few B&B's in Civita; more choices in Orvieto.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 07:41 PM

It is really utterly impossible to identify a place in Italy that will suit you as a place to stop. However, the good news is, you really needn't over think this. Every single region and province in Italy has more towns of charm and interest and beauty (plus good food) than it does ugly or boring towns (and you can still get good food there!)

Just as a general tip: In summer, seaside places requires booking well in advance, so pick a slightly inland town instead.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 07:48 PM

By the way, I feel compelled to add that I am a road warrior in italy, and I would never (a) drive children on the A3 road south of Naples to Sicily (it's Italy's most dangerous highway) and (b) I would never do two consecutive days of 7 hours of driving (with or without children) in Italy. I highly recommend rethinking this plan. If you must take your own car rather than fly, consider taking a car ferry from Salerno to Sicily, and another car ferry from Sicily to Sardinia, and yet a third ferry from Sardinia to Genova. You needn't bother going all the way to le Cinque Terre from Genova. Camogli would do -- or skip the Italian Riviera altogether and just enjoy the beauty of coastal Sardinia.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 08:01 PM

Maybe Gaeta, a small seaside town, or Montecassino, the site of St. Benedict's monastery? Perhaps at one of the lakes north of Rome, such as Bolsena or Gracciano? The walled town of Lucca might be fun for the children. They It would help to know the sort of place you're looking for.

I assume you're taking a ferry from Sicily to the mainland. Where will you be arriving?

We spend part of every summer in an area of Le Marche, many of whose citizens emigrated to Luxembourg in the early 20th century to find work. Many of them still own the old family home, and we see many cars with Luxembourg plates, so a lot of people drive from Luxembourg to Italy. One town has a milepost that reads "Differdange 1184 km".
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 08:31 PM

To what Sandralist said about that drive, ditto!
She knows what she is talking about!
Never would I do it with kids, or in two consecutive days.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 12:59 AM

Go by car ferry from Palermo to Civitavecchia and stop over in Tuscany
or
go by car ferry from Palermo to Cagliari, visit Barumini and continue then via Arbatax or Olbia - car ferry - Livorno or Genoa.