Notices

Paris to Basel on EuRail Pass

May 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Paris to Basel on EuRail Pass

I have 10 days, May 28th, to take a train trip from Paris, France to Basel, Switzerland. I have a France-Switzerland Eurail pass for a family of 4. When I tried to make seat reservations on TGV trains through Rail Europe website, I did not get any option. So, I am thinking that the limited seats for EuRail pass holders are gone. Is my understanding correct? What are other options to travel from Paris to Basel with family using my EuRail pass?
May 17th, 2013, 08:49 AM

What are other options to travel from Paris to Basel with family using my EuRail pass?>

Call Byron at www.budgeteuropetravel.com and ask him about this - I have bought passes from him for years and he knows everything about those type of questions - even though you are not buying anything IME he will take time to explain and as his agency is a RailEurope agency could make the needed reservations if available - at least could tell you the real situation.

My advice for folks with a railpsss in France is to make the mandated seat reservations when you buy the pass as it is not always possible to use a pass on trains where passholder allotments have been exhausted. Check www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves sites to see if they have info on this question/problem.
May 17th, 2013, 10:33 AM

I thought that I had read that there are now two tiers of passholder reservations - one at the usual 3 euro or so fee like on most TGV trains and then one at about $15 in case the 3 euro allotments were sold out - ask about that - the new higherfare is supposedly usually available.

Do you have to go to Basel? I'd hop on any possible reservation for any Swiss city served by French TGVs - like Geneva, Lausanne, Bern or even Zurich. Trains inside Switzerland do not require reservations so you can always just hop on those.
May 20th, 2013, 02:13 PM

Two years ago I made a reservation with a pass the day before the train in France so it is not impossible this line - more problematic on the lTGV lines to/from southern France.

Search this Thread