Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris to Austria (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-to-austria-662623/)

travel_fun Dec 5th, 2006 10:42 AM

Paris to Austria

We (my huband, adult single daughter and myself) will be in Paris this month for possibly 11 days... Our original plan of Italy is cancelled... want to do that when hubby cn walk more. I'm looking into returning home earlier than original plans and so would stay in Paris with a day trip or two to outskirts - but with ff tickets at this time of year - not easy.

We are now thinking - at this late date - of our alternate plan - a side trip to Austria - Vienna and Salzburg.

I would appreciate any and all advice you can help with...

-- Train from Paris to Vienna with stop in Salzburg on way there or on return. Has anyone taken this ride... best to get Eurail or buy point to point ticket. do over night or day trip... I would think the scenery would be beautiful!

-- Hotel recommendations - for both cities ... would want to be centrally located. would need hotel with elevator. Great if breakfast included. Price range to the equivalent of $200 or there about... less is alway nice... is this reasonable?

-- websites to make reservations for opera/orchestra.... (is it true that you must dress up for these concerts? would nice slaks for woman be OK?)

-- any and all other info is very much appreciated

Thank you so much...

Kate_W Dec 5th, 2006 12:13 PM

Have you found www.voyages-sncf.com to plan your train travel? For the kind of trip you're thinking of, I don't think Eurail is a good value. Point-to-point would be better.

And that is an awfully long train trip. About 15 hours. There does seem to be a train that leaves at 6:45 am on some days. There are also night trains. I'm not sure the daylight trip would deliver that much in terms of scenery at this time of year and taking into account the speed at which the train travels.

If you are thinking about a scenic train ride because your husband has some difficulty walking, a better (and nearer) option might be Switzerland. You could, for example, take a train from Paris to Geneva in about 3.5 hours, stop there overnight and then take scenic trains in the region for a few days. Karen Brown's book, Switzerland: Charming Inns & Itineraries might have some ideas. I expect there are Fodorites who could give you advice on a manageable sightseeing by train sidetrip in Switzerland.

superheterodyne Dec 5th, 2006 12:33 PM

The daylight Paris-Vienna train (EN 65, "Mozart") ceased to run in December 2002.

The night train (EN #263, "Orient-Express" (*)) leaves Paris-Est at 17.49 and arrives in Vienna at 08.30 the following day. The stop at Salzburg is scheduled at 04.44 ...

It is somewhat expensive for the service provided.

The EN 263 won't survive the TGV Est, due to open at the 2007 summer service shift. The SNCF and the DB plan to limit it to Strasbourg or maybe even Stuttgart (with a transfer from the TGV Est). I haven't seen the difinitive timetables, though (but they will be released soon).

ira Dec 5th, 2006 02:20 PM

Hi TF,

The only thing better than 11 days in Paris is 22 days in Paris.

You could visit Dijon and Beaune

Auxerre is pretty, but hilly.

Troyes is worth considering.

Malmaison is worth a daytrip.

Hope DH's ankle heals quickly.

((I))

travel_fun Dec 5th, 2006 04:23 PM

Thank you, Thank you....
As we think about it, Austrai is just too far for this trip...
I do like the idea of either Switzerland or Ira's ideas for trips out of Paris... Are they by train, bus, car??? What would they be like in the winter?

W9London Dec 6th, 2006 05:33 AM

Have you considered flying between Paris-Austria? Air Berlin flys between Paris CDG to both Vienna and Salzburg.

ira Dec 6th, 2006 07:20 AM

Hi TF,

>I do like the idea of ... Ira's ideas for trips out of Paris... Are they by train, bus, car???<

Train.

See www.voyages-sncf.com

((I))