Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris to Amsterdam Rail - Classes of Travel

Apr 7th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Mickey Diener

We are planning to travel from Paris to Amsterdam in July 02. What are the basic differences between 1st and 2nd class rail travel along this line? Is the 1/3 price differential worth it?

Thanks for any opinions.

Apr 7th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Rex

Bigger, plusher, more comfy seats.

Similar to first versus second class on Amtrak, WAS-NYC, for example. A lot of people justify it by saying "I can't afford first class flying" so I will treat myself to this.

I like it for a trip of over an hour. And I do not take trips of over four hours by train.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 7th, 2002, 02:28 PM
BTilke

I make the trip from Brussels to Paris on the Thalys at least once a month. Go first class if you can afford it. Reasons: more comfortable seats, a single seat on one side (good for solo travelers or for a couple who want to have a pair of facing seats). Free newspapers (minor point, but I do like it). Nice little meal service. Quieter atmosphere--far less likely to have kids running up and down, people yakking at the top of their lungs on cell phones, playing noisy video games, and so on. I pay about $100 RT for first class and feel it's worth it. If you can afford paying the price difference, go for it. But if your budget is really tight, it's not as if second class is horrible.
I make a lot of train trips in Europe (Brussels to Paris, Basel, Koln, Nuremberg, London, Vienna and so on) and travel first class whenever possible.
FYI, are you planning to take the Thalys the whole way or are you taking a regular train to Brussels and then switching to the Thalys?

Apr 7th, 2002, 03:33 PM
topping

bringing this message back up to the top (topping), for Mickey

Apr 7th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Nicky

Mickey,
Are you related to Royce?

Apr 10th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Mickey Diener

BTilke - Thanks for the advice. We were thinking of going all the way on the Thalys. Do you think it would be a better trip if we did it on the Thalys from Brussels only?

Nicky - No relation. Sorry.

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Train Traveler

Take the Thalys all the way from Paris. Its more comfortable, and soooo much faster. Brussels to Paris on the Thalys, is 90 minutes by regular rail its about 4 hours.

Apr 10th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Louis

If you want to stop in Brussels take the Thalys. If you want to go from Paris to Amsterdam take the Thalys. If money is a problem take the comfort 2 class. If you take the train from CDG airport you can only go as far as Brussels and then you have to change trains for Amsterdam. Go to www.thalys.com I just love it when they pronunce Thalys.

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:04 PM
BTilke

Mickey, If you want to go straight to Amsterdam, take the Thaly the whole way. Much easier and a little faster. If you want to stop in Brussels for a bit--to see the Grand'Place, for example--then take the Thalys to Brussels, check your luggage (about 1 euro per piece, I think) and then catch either a later Thalys or the regular train to Amsterdam (a regular train ticket gives you more flexibility but the Thalys has better service and much better seats in second class--the second class seats on the regular trains may be just padded bench style seats).

Apr 14th, 2002, 08:40 PM
ttt

to the top