Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris: Three Big Days and Museum Pass Maxi Out! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-three-big-days-and-museum-pass-maxi-out-682578/)

NorthShore Feb 24th, 2007 10:31 AM

Paris: Three Big Days and Museum Pass Maxi Out!

Appreciate feedback on the three day schedule below. Going in May so the days should be long. Trying to mix some big and small sights, move in a logical flow and take full advantage of a three day musueum pass. Chime in with places to people watch and eat and drink along the way.

FRIDAY (Big View Day)

AM
Invalides & Napoleon’s Tomb (Museum Pass)
Musee Rodin & Gardens (Museum Pass)

PM
Eiffel Tower
Arc de Triomphe (Museum Pass)

EVENING
Louvre (Quick Stop) (Museum Pass)

SATURDAY

AM
Musee d’Orsay (Museum Pass)
Musée des Egouts de Paris (Museum Pass)

PM
Conciergerie (Museum Pass)
Sainte Chapelle (Museum Pass)
Crypte de Notre Dame (Museum Pass)
Tours de Notre Dame (Museum Pass)

SUNDAY

AM
Latin Quarter Walk (Degas)
Musee National Du Moyen Age (Museum Pass)
Pantheon (Museum Pass)

PM
Right Bank Walk (Degas)
Musee de l'Orange (Museum Pass)

EVENING
Centre Pompidou (Museum Pass)

Robespierre Feb 24th, 2007 10:40 AM

I don't see any problem with your plan, except that since last May, you can't buy a 3-day Museum Pass. If you have one from a previous trip or on-line reseller, it will be honored, but otherwise you're stuck with either a 2-day (€30) or 4-day(€45).

One way of looking at that is that your three days each cost as much as if you'd bought a 2-day pass.

NorthShore Feb 25th, 2007 08:10 AM

Thanks Robes.

NorthShore Feb 25th, 2007 01:15 PM

ttt

pdx Feb 26th, 2007 04:39 PM

ttt

NorthShore Feb 28th, 2007 07:26 AM

Anybody got any feedback?

ira Feb 28th, 2007 07:31 AM

Hi NS,

You don't seem to be leaving yourself any time to see Paris.

((I))

NorthShore Feb 28th, 2007 07:36 AM

ira, this is just a three day segment of a seven daystay in Paris. But I do catch your drift about the tight schedule.

ira Feb 28th, 2007 07:41 AM

Hi N,

>...this is just a three day segment of a seven day stay....

Oh, good.

I feel better. :)

((I))

nbujic Feb 28th, 2007 07:44 AM

agree with Ira.
if the purpose of you trip is to spend 12 hours a day in museums - sure, but if you wish to have a nice lunch, sit in cafes for a while, do some shopping and enjoy the city , slimming it down would be a good idea .
You could see just the top floor of Orsay, some areas of Invalides ( Napoleon's Tomb is a must) , skip the evening visit to Louvre, etc.

NorthShore Feb 28th, 2007 07:50 AM

Hi guys, sometimes you need others to tell you what you really know deep down! Yeah, this "use the pass to the max" theme adds too much stress.

PalenQ Feb 28th, 2007 08:00 AM

??? For a 3-day pass buy a two-day pass and use it around Sunday when many museums are discounted or even free??

i recently bought a 2-day museum pass at 30 e at Conciergerie, saw that and nearby Sainte Chapelle in about an hour total and had spend 18 euros of the pass price - recouped over half the value in one hour!

NorthShore Feb 28th, 2007 08:09 AM

PalenQ, a two day burst of activity might be a good option.

PalenQ Feb 28th, 2007 08:13 AM

that's what i did a few weeks ago. Conciergerie, Sainte Chapelle adjacent an take little time

Louvre, Orsay across river

did also Pantheon and Cluny, near each other and can't spend much time in either

did Pompidou Modern Art Museum and Arts et Metiers and Monde Arabe museum

still if i was going to be in Paris proper for four days i would have bought the 4-day pass for an extra 15 euros...but i was there only two days straight and came and went the rest of the week.

Toupary Feb 28th, 2007 08:24 AM

North Shore,

It looks like you've done some good research as to proximity.

Now that you are down to either two or four days, I would work with this schedule, revising accordingly. I would suggest having a schedule as a guide, but allowing yourself some flexibility and spontaneity. I have found, when taking visitors around, that this makes for a better time.

For instance, of two in the morning, go first to the one that interests you the most. You may find that you want to spend more time in that particular place, or that you are tired and want to take a break.

When I used to visit Paris, I never saw all the things I planned, but it was never less than wonderful.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. It's your vacation. ;-)

Christina Feb 28th, 2007 08:25 AM

If you want to max out museums, it seems okay to me. I wouldn't say that many museums are free or reduced on Sunday. First, I don't know of any that are free that aren't normally free (like the Petit Palais) all the time, except that special free day on the first Sunday of the month only.

There are a couple that have reduced fees on Sundays by a couple euro, that's true -- the Orsay and Cluny are the only ones that I can think of right now that do that (7.5 normal fare to 5.5 on Sundays for the Orsay). Probably a better day to avoid the Orsay for that reason as it is more crowded, and the Orsay may be one of the ones where you really want to use the pass for the lines.

Toupary Feb 28th, 2007 08:29 AM

As a p.s, I would probably buy the 4-day pass and spread it out. With 14 museums covered by the pass, it more than pays for itself. In my opinion, it is worth whatever it costs just to avoid standing in line.

StCirq Feb 28th, 2007 09:08 AM

I don't want to rearrange your schedule, which looks fine to me, but have you been to the Jacquemart-André Museum? It's not on the Museum Pass, but it's a lovely place and Sunday brunch there is delightful.

NorthShore Mar 3rd, 2007 04:10 PM

Thanks for all the insights. We may go with the four day pass and spread things out a bit.

Ginto Mar 3rd, 2007 06:40 PM

Remember that Versailles entry is included with the Pass. Also some other attractions in the Ile-de-France, Fontainebleau, Chantilly (if I remember correctly). With the 4-day pass, this might make for a nice intermission break from the museum-hopping.

StCirq, I thought that the Musée Jacquemart André was included in the Pass (or has that changed)?