Driving in Italy

Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Italy

Does one need a special drivers license to drive in Italy or will my USA one be sufficient? Do you recommend taking out additional insurance on the rental car?
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM

you need to get your International drivers permit. you can get it a your local AAA, for $15 or $20.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM

I purchased an International Drivers License prior to visiting Italy, but ended up not using it - the gentleman at Hertz never looked at it. Now, that was my personal experience; the experiences of others may be different. Personally speaking, I try to err on the side of caution, so if I had to do it again, I would probably go the same route and purchase another IDL just in case.

As far as insurance is concerned, taking out the additional insurance was definitely worth it for me, even though there was no damage to my vehicle. Again, I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to certain matters, and I would much rather have had that insurance than to have been without it if something did happen.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:26 PM

In Italy, it is required by law to have an International Drivers Permit (IDP). The rental agency doesn't need it but if you get stopped by the police, you will need it or get a big fine. It's basically just a translation of the info on your drivers license and is inexpensive to obtain.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for such quick responses. Mscleo, I absolutely agree with you....I like to err on the side of caution as well. I will definitely get the license and the extra insurance this way, I can drive with more peace of mind.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Minor typo - "you will need it or MAY get a big fine". I know there have been posts here about this issue.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Also, if you don't have an IDP and get involved in an accident or some other altercation with the car, the rental company may not honor your insurance. It says plainly in the contract that you are expected to abide by Italian law when driving, and if you don't, your insurance doesn't cover the consequences. So get that IDP, which is required by law.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Italian law requires drivers that don't have an EU driving license to show their home country license as well as an International Driving Permit if (or when) they're pulled over.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Do you know if you have to be a member of AAA to get the IDP? I live in Costa Rica, but will be flying out of Miami and can visit a local AAA there. Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>I purchased an International Drivers License prior to visiting Italy, but ended up not using it - the gentleman at Hertz never looked at it<<<

First thing Hertz asked me for last time I rented in Italy. YMMV.

No, you don't have to be a member of AAA, but only certain locations can do the IDP so check to make sure your location can do it. It's a bit cheaper if you are a member. I think you can print the app off their website and it might cost less if you provide the photos (like passport photos).
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 03:31 PM

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 03:36 PM

This may help:

DRIVING IN ITALY & SOUTHERN EUROPE

Q. SHOULD WE DRIVE IN ITALY?
A. Of course you should if your driving skill & confidence would allow you to drive a rental car in Vermont, Colorado or California. But, be advised of these tips:
* Avoid driving in the major cities except for picking up or dropping cars
* Have good maps—study them in advance—and have a GOOD NAVIGATOR.
* Stay in the right lane except when passing and use your rear view mirrors

Q. WHAT CAR SHOULD I GET AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
A. It is best to rent your car before you leave for Europe. The best source we have found is www.autoeurope.com [800-223-5555] who is a broker for several car vendors. They will quote you prices to include the variables that are often omitted by others, such as unlimited mileage, mandatory insurance coverage with some deductibles, and VAT taxes. It is wise to compare prices and coverage with their sister company at www.kemwel.com. Autoeurope will match any comparable quote, and are famous for their customer satisfaction if problems do arise with the vendor. The best model will depend on your needs, but for best value we suggest you select a compact car with manual transmission. Automatics are available but will cost you about 30% more and may limit your model options & pick up locations.

Q. ARE ITALIAN DRIVERS AS CRAZY AS I HAVE HEARD?
A. Yes & no! They are certainly aggressive, but they are also more skilled than many USA drivers—both are a function of necessity. Italy is one of the most crowded countries in the world and the drivers have evolved these characteristics
* They are notorious tailgaters. If that bothers you, pull over and let them past.
* On the AUTOSTRADE they will drive fast, but will stay in the right lane except when passing and will use their blinkers when passing—YOU SHOULD TOO !
* They will often pass on 2-lane roads with traffic coming. Frankly, they expect you, and the oncoming car, to adjust to the shoulder and make 3 lanes of traffic.

OTHER ROAD TIPS FOR YOUR DRIVING SANITY:
1. Learn the meaning of the sign “ SENSO UNICO” and take heed [ONE WAY ].
2. Be sure to get your ticket when you enter the AUTOSTADA system & be prepared to pay the toll when you exit it [ rule of thumb—300 km=15 Euro]. You can use your credit card in the VIA lane at the toll both, or buy a debit VIACARD in advance.
3. Do NOT attempt to follow road numbers—that will frustrate you. But, do pay attention to the directional signs that point to your destination [ TO MONTALCINO]. And, be aware if that road leads eventually to a larger city [ ROMA—SIENA ETC.]
4. Unless you have a diesel car, you will want to fill the tank with benzina from the green pump. Most stations will pump gas for you and will take credit cards.

NOTE: As of 2005, an International Drivers Permit[IDP] is required in Italy.
You can obtain them from your local AAA office. You will need a valid US driver’s license, two passport photos, and $20. The photos can be taken at the AAA office.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your very informative details. I will be purchasing one as my trip gets closer.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 11:44 AM

I agree you should learn the phrases for road signs - you'll be glad you did. Take pictures of the car before you leave the lot. And as Bob the Navigator says, Italians (indeed most Europeans) are better drivers than Americans. On the autostrada you'll want to be aware of what I call the "phantom" lane. It's the lane between lanes. Cars will be flying by on the left, then another car comes up behind them and they move part of the way into the right lane to let them pass, then move back into the fast lane. I've watched this happen, it seems intuitively, on three lane roads where the middle and right lane drivers just move to the right when necessary to allow the phantom lane to open up. And yes, the route numbers are a challenge. Each road can have several route numbers (six - SIX - going thru Switzerland), then one or more veers off. Be sure you have studied your route in advance, be familiar with the route numbers you'll be seeing (not always easy b/c maps often only show one or two). It's a challenge, but I love driving in Italy. The Italian drivers are excellent in that they know the unwritten rules, there are very few huge semi's (once away from big cities), trucks or SUVs so you actually see what's going on all around you. But driving is a skill most Europeans posses. So many Americans are passengers behind the wheel, not actively engaged mentally or physically. All that notwithstanding I always - always - buy the full insurance for peace of mind. Have fun - driving in Europe is a thrill, if scary occasionally. You'll shake your head in amazement once you return home and realize - hey, I drove in Italy!! The first time, it took me half an hour to get up the nerve to leave the airport parking lot! You're gonna love it.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shanna, I will be sure to have done my homework well in advance.....and keep an watchful eye on the "phantom lane".