Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris...then.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-then-1470576/)

jspedz Sep 5th, 2017 05:13 PM

Paris...then....

Hi everyone,

I will be in Paris for a few days at the end of November. My partner and I have 8 days to explore anywhere after Paris. (We have already spent a week in Paris during our last trip). I want to have a base for this time as my wife is in her second trimester. We want to take out time. I am interested in Christmas Markets and Strasbourg is an option. I also am considering Rome for those 8 days.

What are you suggestions for Europe during this time of year? (November).

jspedz Sep 5th, 2017 05:14 PM

*take our time*

marvelousmouse Sep 5th, 2017 05:37 PM

Ok getting a soda

marvelousmouse Sep 5th, 2017 05:54 PM

Sorry, have no idea how my phone did that!

I think Rome is not the place I'd want to visit in my second trimester. Transit is not fun, lots of walking. But if you stayed centrally and took your time, it is a glorious city to explore.

If you like Christmas Markets, have you been to Germany? You could go to Strasbourg and then continue on to Nuremberg and elsewhere.

Whathello Sep 5th, 2017 06:49 PM

End of Nov I would - in france - go to the Riviera.
Or I would go to Sicily.
Or Egypt or morocco. Some place warm and nice.

jspedz Sep 6th, 2017 03:01 AM

Thank you for your replys.

We are Canadian and very used to dressing for the weather. Cold or wet weather doesn't bother us. I think we are leaning towards the Colmar/Basel/Frieburg area.

I was also wondering if anyone has any experience travelling in this region during this time period? (late november/early december).

We would love to make a side trip to a city in Switzerland. We won't be doing much hiking, so if there is a city that has a venicular lift going up to a mountain, it would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Whathello Sep 6th, 2017 03:28 AM

The winter I experienced I Canada was cold but dry and sunny.
You'll find damp weather overcast and short days in nort east Western Europe. P

I don't like Basel that much and often went skiing in CH not really staying in cities. So can't comment much.

Colmar is nice Strasbourg is nicer fir xmas markets and so is riquewihr.

otto Sep 6th, 2017 04:50 AM

Christmas markets? Prague and Vienna.

PalenQ Sep 6th, 2017 05:51 AM

Weather wise Rome would be of course much nicer for relaxing at outdoor caffes, etc. Not for Xmas markets though.

But lots of easy day trips to do.

If going to Strasbourg/Alsace area it is an easy TGV train ride from Paris but book tickets ASAP for deep discounts over full walk-up fare- www.voyages-sncf.com - check www.seat61.com for help with that often fickle for Americans anyway site and general info on trains and where to go www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

During that dark often dank times I prefer large cities like Munich or Berlin where it is always bright - Xmas markets in every German city big or small.

PalenQ Sep 6th, 2017 08:47 AM

We would love to make a side trip to a city in Switzerland. We won't be doing much hiking, so if there is a city that has a venicular lift going up to a mountain, it would be ideal.>

Montreux on Lake Geneva has a thrilling mountain train going right up from it to Rochers de Naye;

Lucerne has a gondola going up Mt Pilatus.

jspedz Sep 6th, 2017 11:46 AM

Would it be possible to leave Colmar very early in the morning, then make it to Lucerne to go up Mt. Pilatus?

We're thinking if we base in Colmar, we can make it to Lucerne in the morning and up when the weather is forecasted to be clear. Being very flexible in when we go.

marvelousmouse Sep 6th, 2017 12:21 PM

I was further east, but December really wasn't what I'd consider cold. Depends on where in Canada you're from. It was above freezing the whole time, damp, overcast, no snow. So pretty much like being in Vancouver for Christmas.

PalenQ Sep 6th, 2017 12:28 PM

Yup - just about 2 hours each way Colmar-Lucerne changing at Basel. Then about 30 minutes to either mountain train or cable car to Pilatus.

But yes Pilatus very fickle -often shrouded in clouds or fog many days I have been in Lucerne.

IMO if going to Lucerne from Colmar you may as well go to Engelberg- about an hour from Lucerne and ascend Mt Titlis - very much more of the awesome high Alps image perhaps ethced in your minds' eyes - take the novel rotating cable car to the top:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mt+t...w=1745&bih=863

Pilatus is an isolated peak sans the top of the world scenes as at Titlis - if going that far go for Titlis over Pilatus but check to see if mountain conveyances are running as they do take short breaks in that Nov off season for repairs.

It's a long day with short daylight so yes start early - lots of connections - check www.sbb.ch for schedules and fares - may get some deals Basel SBB-Lucerne.

PalenQ Sep 6th, 2017 01:40 PM

Are you considering basing in Colmar for 8 days?

Re-consider that - small city = maybe spend 4 days in Germany and 4 days in Lucerne if you want to see mountains.

jspedz Sep 7th, 2017 03:32 AM

Yes a base in Colmar. Lucerne=expensive.

PalenQ Sep 7th, 2017 06:40 AM

colmar for 8 days in grim gray November sounds rather grim!

What are your plans there - day trip to where?

Reconsider at all costs IMO.

jspedz Sep 7th, 2017 03:24 PM

It's actually late November. Beginning on the 27th. So beginning of Christmas markets?

PalenQ Sep 8th, 2017 04:57 AM

Xmas markets will be up and running but the best are in Germany not around Colmar - you are staying in Colmar without a car because it's cheap?

Figure transportation costs and time to get anywhere.

jspedz Sep 8th, 2017 07:50 AM

Interesting about Xmas markets around Colmar "not the best"...I've read that the markets in the Alsace are among the best...but who am I to judge.

Whathello Sep 8th, 2017 09:22 AM

The best in france.
The real best are German ones.
That is like beer. The best french beer pale in comparison to belgian ones. ;-)