Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris- The Latin Quarter (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-the-latin-quarter-1013211/)

bobdog May 2nd, 2014 04:21 PM

Paris- The Latin Quarter

Would this be a good neighborhood to rent an apartment for a week or so, for our family of 3 young adults and us??? We want a place with a lively vibe, but not party central, that is close to sites and restaurants:)

Nikki May 2nd, 2014 04:24 PM

Sure, do you have a particular apartment in mind?

bobdog May 2nd, 2014 05:00 PM

Not at all

bobdog May 2nd, 2014 05:01 PM

Just wondering if this neighborhood may be too lively at night?

adrienne May 2nd, 2014 05:05 PM

It's a big area and no, it's not too lively.

menachem May 2nd, 2014 05:17 PM

the opposite, in fact nowadays. right bank quartiers are more interesting, imo

mamcalice May 2nd, 2014 05:32 PM

Its a big area and it depends on where you are if it is too lively or too quiet. Once you have decided on a specific location, we can probably be more helpful.

Nikki May 2nd, 2014 05:56 PM

There are parts of the Latin Quarter that are very lively and filled with bars and restaurants, and there are other parts that are more quiet. I would not generalize and say it is more or less lively and interesting than the right bank, there are plenty of interesting spots all over Paris.

elizzie4000 May 2nd, 2014 08:01 PM

If you don't want too lively stay away from rue St Severin and rue de la Huchette. I made the mistake of renting an apartment on rue St Severin once. My worst stay in Paris.

But, other than that you have a lot of other nice areas to consider.

bobdog May 9th, 2014 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone!

kerouac May 9th, 2014 12:18 PM

Although I prefer other areas now, I thought that the Latin Quarter was the most fantastic area in the city when I first came to Paris, so probably you will, too.

suze May 9th, 2014 12:50 PM

Yes, the 5th is great. But depends exactly where you are, what street you're on. As already mentioned it's a large area. Some "lively" some not so much.

PalenQ May 9th, 2014 01:34 PM

I think the further west from Notre-Dame and the restaurant ghetto area the nicer the Latin Quarter gets - some nice street markets and more a neighborhood feeling.

kerouac May 9th, 2014 01:48 PM

I totally adored the restaurant ghetto of rue de la Huchette and rue de la Harpe before I knew better.

People should also not think that Latin Quarter = all of the 5th arrondissement. To Parisians, the Latin Quarter stretches from Saint Michel to Port Royal and from Jussieu to Odéon -- in other words, part of the 5th and 6th arrondissements, but really a very limited part.

TAW May 9th, 2014 01:58 PM

Great...too bad I didn't know this before. I'm staying a week at St Severin Hotel. We leave Sunday so too late to change hotels. Bummed

Nikki May 9th, 2014 03:16 PM

Do not be bummed, TAW. You will probably love it. Come back and tell us how it went.

KTtravel May 9th, 2014 03:36 PM

TAW, I believe your hotel gets excellent reviews on trip advisor. I hope you have a wonderful time.

TAW May 10th, 2014 07:16 AM

I think I'm just having last minute jitters and second-guessing myself. This is our first trip to Paris and I want it to be perfect. I'm sure it will be fine.

denisea May 10th, 2014 09:31 AM

No second guessing!!! Paris is always wonderful and, in my opinion, you will never do it perfectly. That gives you a reason to go back. We stayed in the 5th on rue des Bernardin over Christmas and loved our apartment and the area.

jaymemarie May 10th, 2014 09:53 AM

I lived in the Latin Quarter for six months last Spring while I was studying in Paris. Unlike most of the other arrondissements, the Latin Quarter doesn't have any major clubs so it empties out fairly quickly after midnight, particularly on the weeknights. Fridays and Saturdays are a little busier, but most places still close by 2. However, during the day, there are lots of cafes and cute shops and it is easy to find something to do!