Paris: the fashion of ordinary people

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

As promised, I took a whole new bunch of photos in my neighborhood to show what non fashionable Parisians wear. I have to admit that I am not impressed, particularly since I work in the high end fashion district and see quite differently dressed people in the area of my office.

But it's time to accept real life and see what ordinary people in Paris have been wearing for the past 3 days: http://tinyurl.com/yklxc7v

The people who say that there is a certain lack of color at this time of year are absolutely correct, and this apparently does not have any relation to revenue.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought the idea we tend to have of the French - that they are fashion blades - was one of the biggest myths around and your photo expose more than proves that - the ordinary French - in Paris and in your area would include many non ethnic French

I remember when i walked thru your area - after a post by you - seeing many African, Asia and Arab garbed folk and a few ethnic French it seemed - like the guy by the church near the McDonalds with his hat out.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM

Oh i meant to add - thanks a whole lot for these photo sojourns such as you have been posting - a Fodor Treasure you are for sure.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Palenque, I have to admit that I am sometimes nauseated by the reaction of certain people when I depict Parisians who are not of European stock. It is often along the lines of "those aren't the real Parisians; I want to see the real Parisians." -- in which case I would like to say to them, particularly when this sort of statement is made by an American, "what is a real American?"

If one were to apply the criteria inferred by such statements to photos of Americans, I guess we would have to remove all black people, Asians, South Americans, and of course the people of European origin. Then we could indeed admire the "real" Americans.

I do not mean to annoy anybody by saying this, but I just hope that people will realize that Parisians -- and French people -- are of all origins. The people who live in the center of Paris are a small minority to themselves, often based on their finances or fame. I really do believe that the people in my photos are the authentic French.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM

They are dressed in a very similar way to Londoners.
One thing that strikes one is that there are no obese people and only the odd one who could be described as overweight.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM

Not high fashion perhaps but some of these folks look pretty hip. A few women, more of the men.

The coloured coats and clothes, of which there are indeed few, look pretty dorky to me. Everything long and loose also looks wrong. Trousers really are very fitted -- must be hard on those carrying extra weight. But as Josser noted, there are few heavy people. QUITE the contrast to the US and Canada: the obesity here, even in large cities, is staggering.

Also I noted only one person yakking on the phone. That is quite different from a few years ago, when it seemed an infectious disease.

Agree
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM

Sorry, my final words got cut:

Agree with others that this is an invaluable aid, particularly given the prevalence of "What shall I wear in Paris?" threads here.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM

I remember some months ago someone mentioned choc brown being all the rage... I see it in this PTR.

So I must ask, why the aversion to dark/olive greens? Is it something that changes with fashion trends from year to year?

I am no fashionista, so plz for give the ignorant sounding question. With that said, I don't dress like a slob either no matter where I am. I must say, just like all my trips to Paris, I am always surprized at how well Parisians present themselves as opposed to the hordes of ppl (far and wide, locals, and tourists) who dress like cows-in-tarps in the city I live in now [Vegas].

~Jay
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM

I always enjoy looking at your photos!! Thank you for sharing your city with us!
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Keruoac, my neighborhood is just like yours, within a few blocks I Can dine at a Thai, Japaneese, Korean, Lebanesse, French, Ethiopian,Indian, or an Irish Pub, and your photos could have been taken here, however, if you went to my old neighborhood, you would see a more fashionable crowd..BUT...
they will not all live in the neighborhood but are there for the boutiques abd restaurants.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 06:00 PM

That's when you lived in Back Bay, Mimi, on Newbury Street I believe.

It is too bad, Kerouac, that you couldn't get some photos of Carine Roitfeld strolling through the Tuileries in her Chloe poncho.

Linda, fashion fan
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Linda: oh, you are back.

Re: "I am sometimes nauseated by the reaction of certain people when I depict Parisians who are not of European stock." - me too, I was expecting someone to say, something to the extent of but these are the poors and don't count. Poor also being code for people of color/immigrants. Then again, I suppose that is why there are only 10 replies on this thread from yesterday.

I enjoy your photos, BTW.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM

I think there's a slight difference in temperature between Tucson and Paris. I think it's easier to have a pulled-together look when you are dressed for fall and winter. Everyone looks decent, but it's not a runway show, which I think is a pretty typical Parisian experience.

Just a few examples of French/Parisian citizens/residents who some might think have the "wrong" ethnicity include Chopin, the Curies, Charles Aznevour, Edith Piaf, Zinedine Zidane, and for that matter Nicholas Sarkozy. Personally, the fact that Paris is so multicultural makes it much more interesting for me.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Linda, do we know each other? that's true what you posted
re: Carine, loved the poncho hated that tacky lace thing.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Mimi, I am an old friend of your friend Polly.

>Linda: oh, you are back.<

I have no idea what that means. I am just a housewife and horsewoman from Devonshire who happened to stumple upon this site whilst surfing the Internet.

Try not to be a crashing bore, dear.

Linda
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM

polly????
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Polly Magoo?
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 01:54 AM

Miss Mitford, I believe?
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM

" Try not to be a crashing bore, dear."

I was thinking the same, though I guess the switch from designer imposter to 20th c. Satire is at least a switch. I'd have pegged Evelyn Waugh, though. Me, I'm changing my name to Amanda K. Evans.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM

why? her blog is dull

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -