Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - The Esmeralda or the Grand Hotel Jeanne D'Arc?

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 09:13 PM
Wendy

After hours of searching Fodor's and the net, I think that I've narrowed the hotel for our first trip to Paris down to the two given above. Has anyone out there stayed in one or both? I need someone to tip the scales for me.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 02:22 AM
Ross

Hi Wendy!!!

I know Paris quite well. I have never stayed at either the Esmeralda or the the Grand Hôtel Jeanne d'Arc, though I do have a reservation at the latter for next month. I have been inside the Jeanne d'Arc, and have a close friend that recently stayed there. It is a nice, clean hotel, in a WONDERFUL location with GREAT rates. The Marais is WONDEFUL, and also within easy walking distance of some of the MOST charming areas in all of Paris!!! Also, EXTREMELY easy Métro acces.

Have fun!!!!
Ross.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 07:10 AM
Amy

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Jeanne D'Arc for our first trip to Paris in Sept. and loved it! If they have a vacancy, take it--they fill up fast. (Side note: We also stayed at the Hotel Familia and weren't as please with it.) We loved the location of the Hotel. The Marais district is beautiful, and we spent a lot of time walking around looking at all of the lovely shops. Our room was clean and generously sized for Paris--a wonderful hotel. I think you would definitely be pleased with it.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 07:10 AM
TONI

Hi Wendy,
The Esmeralda Hotel is a very ,very, old hotel.I have been to Paris many times,staying at different places each time,to get a different flavor of the city.If this is your first trip to europe, it might be a shock. My husband was sure Napolian must have stayed there.I loved its uniqueness,and the location is perfect.My husband was not quite as thrilled.If you want more detail on this hotel you can e-mail me.
Toni

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 05:18 AM
elaine

I have not stayed at either, but the reliable book "Cheap Sleeps in Paris"
mentions that some areas of the hotel Esmeralda have little acquaintance with housekeeping.
The same book says that the Jeanne d'Arc
has some areas with strange decor, but that the rooms are spotless. THe book especially recommends for two people #11 and #12, and that #63 has a huge bathroom and a rooftop view.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 07:35 AM
Curt

We have stayed at Grand Hotel Jeanne D'Arc and found it quite nice. The location is superb, with many good places to eat close by, and within walking distance to many of the major sites. I would recommend it.

On out last trip we stayed at the Grand Hotel Leveque on the 7th, close to the Eiffel tower. It is also very good, and also a 2 star. It has nicer bathrooms than Jeanne D'Arc, but our room at Jeanne D'Arc was a bit larger. I would rate them about the same overall.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 08:04 AM
phyllis

wendy-
my parents stayed at the esmerelda and enjoyed it for the location and "charm". caution: my mother said it was the smallest room with the smallest bed she could imagine. on the other hand, we stayed in the marais district (at another hotel) and loved it. its so central and there are so many good restaurants and bakeries. i might opt for the jeanne d'arc, just because its in such a good location, but you'll probably have success with either choice.
phyllis

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 07:24 AM
Wendy

Thanks for your reponses! We have booked a room at the Jeanne D'Arc in March. I plan to stop by the Esmeralda while we are there because I am sure that we will be returning to Paris. I already have too many things to do and see in six days!