Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Taxi or Aiport Shuttle for 3!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-taxi-or-aiport-shuttle-for-3-a-65427/)

Lorri Mar 14th, 2000 07:47 PM

Paris Taxi or Aiport Shuttle for 3!!!

There are 3 of us coming from CDG, which is less money, 89ff each on the shuttle or the cost of a taxi to the Hotel Aramis St. Germaine, at 124 rue de Rennes? Took the advice of calling the hotel. Got an extra 100ff off per day, less what Best Western had quoted me. Cost me $6.30 to send a FAX, which the hotel required for confirmation. Plus a 3 minute call to Paris. I still think I made out over 6 nights times the 100ff. Next time I'll call and book my hotel of choice ahead of time.

TJ Mar 15th, 2000 01:11 AM

Take a taxi. Prices will be about the same (taxi may be marginally less), you'll get door-to-door service, and you'll get there faster.

Lori Mar 15th, 2000 06:17 AM

Taxi - for 3 of you it's worth it for door to door. Let us know about the hotel - size of rooms, etc. How much are you actually paying?

elvira Mar 15th, 2000 07:59 AM

Taxi, or if you have a bit more luggage, consider a car/driver hire (he meets you outside Immigration/Customs, helps with your luggage, car is right there, he speaks English) which might be a tad more but worth the extra ff for the help and convenience. <BR>Shuttle or RER is more economical for one-two people with just carryons; beyond that, hire a vehicle!

lorri Mar 15th, 2000 10:20 PM

Lori- We're paying 1150ff per night for a triple(a double bed and a twin bed)with a spa and jaccuzzi. I did not want them, but those were the only triples left. My 14 year old is thrilled. He loves amenities. We had less than 6 weeks to book a triple, which really put us over our 900ff per night limit. <BR>Lorri

Lori Mar 16th, 2000 07:56 AM

Thanks Lorri! - Please let us know when you come back how the hotel was and what size the rooms were, etc. I'm still (after many many trips to Paris) looking for a hotel that has rooms large enough for two people to move about in comfortably (without staying at The Ritz or something like that which we can't afford anyway). That spa/jacuzzi may come in handy after a hard day of sightseeing - you never know! Enjoy the trip.

question about Mar 20th, 2000 06:55 AM

Quick question: what's the maximum number of people in a taxi in Paris? Four?

jo ann Mar 20th, 2000 09:25 AM

this is a sidebar, since it gets into taxi limits but: we were "4" in Paris last summer -- the "legality" is that a cabdriver must accept up to 3 people, and may refuse 4. I was the only one who spoke French, our hotel was on a lovely but tiny side street (frequently required the driver's map to locate) so we would try for one cab. Would you believe that most of the drivers we approached (say 7 of 9) would decline us, even when told that we would pay 2x (I figured that the peace of mind of knowing where spouse, pre-teen child, and elderly mother were was easily worth it, since otherwise we would pay for 2 cabs anyway.) Many of the drivers were quite rude ("no, my small book is already on the passenger seat" was my favorite) but just when we would give up and would intend to hail 2 cabs we'd find a driver more than willing to take us all. Our favorite driver was so good that my daughter memorized his cab # and spent time trying to find him again (he began our ride with him with this joke: What is the greatest enemy of the Parisian taxi driver? A: the Parisian taxi driver!)