Paris/Switzerland/Venice/Siena/Rome Anniversary Trip Advice Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking to independently plan our 10 year anniversary trip -- this is our current, tentative itinerary:

Wednesday -- Travel: Baltimore to Paris
Thursday -- Paris
Friday -- Paris
Saturday -- Travel: Paris to Switzerland
Sunday -- Switzerland
Monday -- Switzerland
Tuesday -- Travel: Switzerland to Venice
Wednesday -- Venice
Thursday -- Venice
Friday -- Travel: Venice to Siena
Saturday -- Siena
Sunday -- Siena
Monday -- Travel: Siena to Rome
Tuesday -- Rome
Wednesday -- Rome
Thursday -- Rome
Friday -- Travel: Rome to Baltimore

Our big wants are 1) delicious food; 2) great views/beautiful sights/romance; 3) history.

Main questions:
a) Does this itinerary look doable (time frame, trains, etc)?
b) Where in Switzerland would you recommend going --- looking for alps/countryside, not city?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 07:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you been any of these places before? If not, I think you should drop Switzerland and add a day or two to Paris and a day to Italy. Two days is really not enough time for Switzerland.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 11:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd look to the Jura alps rather than Switzerland, this area to the north east of Mont Blanc avoids the cost of Switzerland and yet the mountain meadows are wonderful, full of wild flowers, bees etc and yet with great views of the mountains. Start at Bescancon, then follow the Doubs river to Pontarlier and then Les Fourgs, if you then walk to the East you will find yourself on the winter cross country skiing race route and some fo the finest Franche comte country you will find, lots of small hotels, fine food and pleasant people.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 12:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For transportation you can easily get from Paris to Zurich or to Geneva or even Lausanne via TGV services within 4-6 hours.

Since you are continuing eventually to Venice and if you still want to see part of Switzerland what you might do is this: take a TGV connection from Paris to Geneva or Lausanne and continue on to somewhere along the north shore of Lac Leman; perhaps Vevey or Montreux. You could even go as far as Brig/Zermatt. The Vevey/Montreux option means you could also take an excusrion up to Rochers de Naye for the fabulous views.

There are EASY connections from these towns by rail through Brig and the Simplon Tunnel into Italy and Milan where you can change for a fast connection onward to Venice.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 01:02 AM

I'd agree with kybourbon - With a minimum of 5 locations (more if you generalize and list "Switzerland") that's a tremendous amount of travel in just 15 days in Europe. I would also eliminate Switzerland and save it for another trip. When you add in travel time - be it train, plane, etc... your will spend 1/4 of your vacation just getting to different cities. I'd see more and travel from spot-to-spot less...
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 04:46 AM

I agree with eliminating Switzerland. You don't have enough time to do it justice. Add time to Paris. It is definitely worth more than two full days. Do you plan to visit the Tuscan countryside while in Siena? If so, it would best be seen if you rent a car.

I think with one less stop, your trip is a good one. Enjoy!
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ALL for your responses! We have never been to Europe before and want to see as much as possible -- without of course running into train/plane/automobile fatigue

My husband is HOT on seeing Switzerland. I wonder if there is any way to fit just one piece of it in?
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 09:27 AM

You can fit one piece of it in if you take something else out.

As it is you have very minimal time everywhere except Siena. (IMHO a first trip to Paris should be at elast 4 days/5 nights to see much of anything and even begin to get a feel for the city.)

this looks a lot more like a forced March than a romantic trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!!
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 10:59 AM

If you really want to see Switzerland, then forget Paris, as you really only have one day there anyway, considering jet lag and arrival logistics on the first day. Why bother? Fly into Switzerland instead and do Paris some other time.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 05:40 PM

We did a similar trip last summer for our anniversary: Paris, Switzerland (BO area), Venice, and Rome over a period of 3 weeks. With everything to see, 4-5 nights in each location would be a minimum in my book. You could probably get away with 3-4 nights in Venice, though.

We loved each location. I have to say though, we really loved the BO area in Switzerland for its breathtaking beauty. It also gives you a break from the cities you will be visiting. I would save it for another trip if you can't stay longer to appreciate the area.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 06:21 PM

The itinerary is wonderful - they just need more days to do it. You did it in 3 week s- makes sense - not generous but sense - but not in 14 days on the ground.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 06:55 PM

If Swizterland is a must, I'd suggest eliminating either Siena or Venice, and adding the time to Paris. Just remember that every time you change locations, you'll lose about half a day to travel, hotel check-in/out, etc.

If you do go to Switzerland, I agree with the suggestion to visit the Berner Oberland. We really enjoyed our time in Wengen, which is high in the mountains. Some people also enjoy this area staying in the valley of Lauterbrunnen,, or at the gateway to the mountains between the lakes in Interlaken. However, keep in mind that Switzerland is a very expensive country so food and lodging will really cost you here. Travel through those mountains can also get very pricey, and be slower than you think, so plan out this portion of your trip carefully before you definitely decide to keep it on the list.

Also, what time of year will you be taking this trip? If in the summer, keep in mind that most places will be very hot (Switzerland should be the one exception), which will slow you down a little. Temps will be similar to those in Baltimore. So think about a tourist who wanted to visit DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York, and the Adirondacks in two+ weeks. It is theoretically doable, but how much will they really enjoy the trip? I think you'll have a better time if you cross at least one place off the list.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You only have 2 days in Paris - and one of those will be a jet lagged fog. You'd really want a minimum of 5 full days for a first Paris visit, and a week would be better.

If Switzerland is a must, Why not split your time between Paris and 2 or 3 locations in Switzerland and leave Italy for another trip.

OR - forget Paris. Visit Switzerland for 6 or 7 days and maybe 2 places in Italy. 3 days Venice and 4-ish days Rome.