Search

(Paris) Staying near Marche d'Aligre

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Paris) Staying near Marche d'Aligre

Dear all,

I will be traveling alone (young woman) to Paris in May and need to book a residence for a week. I am looking at a place near the Marche d'Aligre, and I was wondering if that area is safe (to stay in and/or get to/from). Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 03:38 AM

It is safe but depending on exactly where in relation to Place d'Aligre it may be "downmarket," and then the question would be, would you feel comfortable? What's the address?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The marché d'Aligre area is part of authentic working class Paris. Excellent place to stay if you are not into 'postcard Paris'.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 04:50 AM

I've stayed not far from there many times, and I wouldn't expect any problems. But the question is, exactly where?

You can check out access to metro stations and what the street looks like, at www.pagesjaunes.fr. See also the interactive map at
http://www.ratp.info/orienter/cv/carteparis.php

One metro line runs more or less along the rue du Faubourg St Antoine (Reuilly-Diderot, Faidherbe-Chaligny, Ledru-Rollin, Bastille). Other lines run from Reuilly-Diderot to the Gare du Lyon.

My general prejudice would be that the nearer you are to a mainline railway station, the less attractive the neighbourhood's likely to be.

Likewise, sitting right on top of a market street means more noise in an early morning, more crowds on the street while it's open and more mess on it after it shuts (see http://tinyurl.com/u82ln for what rue d'Aligre looks like after the market).

But a street or two away, you might hardly know it's on.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Of course, every temporary market looks like that after the market, even in the 7th or 16th arrondissement. It is impressive to see the cleaners come and whisk everything away.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:39 AM

I have been there a number of times over the years and there is a restaurant I expecially like called La Table d'Aligre, 11 place d'Aligre. Bon Appetite!