Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris spring clothing (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-spring-clothing-780339/)

kerouac Apr 21st, 2009 05:07 AM

Paris spring clothing

Okay, I took a new set of photographs from my apartment window yesterday so that those who are interested can see what ordinary Parisians are wearing in a working class residential neighborhood.

Obviously, you may see different clothing on avenue Montaigne or boulevard Saint Germain -- but never forget that those people are a very small minority of Parisians.

Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/df4d3d

StCirq Apr 21st, 2009 05:11 AM

With a very few exceptions, I could have taken those photos from my balcony here in Dupont Circle, DC.

kerouac Apr 21st, 2009 05:13 AM

Oh, I forget to mention that the 'Find the American(s)' contest is now open :) -- there is one photo containing a specimen or two.

kerouac Apr 21st, 2009 05:13 AM

forget = forgot

bilboburgler Apr 21st, 2009 05:50 AM

Great 'photos but the other thing that is amazing is how fat they all are, can you imagine being crushed in a metro with some of these people.

StCirq Apr 21st, 2009 05:55 AM

I'm guessing the whale in the pink shirt is American - but how do YOU know, kerouac?

kerouac Apr 21st, 2009 06:01 AM

Wrong. My American identification was from hearing the conversation across the intersection even though I live 3 floors up and there was plenty of traffic noise.

cigalechanta Apr 21st, 2009 06:31 AM

Are you sure that THose pictures were not taken in Harvard Square? :)

LoriNY1 Apr 21st, 2009 06:36 AM

Looks like NYC to me

kismetchimera Apr 21st, 2009 07:23 AM

They could pass for Americans..

scatcat Apr 21st, 2009 07:45 AM

Well, I thought I could win this game of "spot the Americans", but I give up. The best guess would be the two blonds in jeans.

tod Apr 21st, 2009 08:04 AM

The American couple are:

The gingerhaired old gal in the lilac coat with a black bag across her chest, followed by her whitehaired husband in a pumpkin-coloured blazer, trailing a short distance behind whilst crossing the road.

SeaUrchin Apr 21st, 2009 08:29 AM

I love Find the American contest. I lost, I thought it was the silver haired woman dressed all in black carrying an orange sac.

kerouac Apr 21st, 2009 08:40 AM

You win, scatcat -- the Americans are the two skinny blondes in jeans.

scatcat Apr 21st, 2009 08:45 AM

I thought I should win this game. I'm a people watcher and although they are skinny, they kinda look American. I'm a skinny American blond too, but that is not me. I was in SML and Nice the first of this month, but I didn't go to Paris.

dlejhunt Apr 21st, 2009 08:55 AM

The two blondes were my first guess. My sister and I spent one afternoon sitting in a cafe in rue Cler drinking kirs and counting the few blondes that we saw (sort of a game, spot the blonde). We both came home from Paris wanting to dye our blonde hair brown.

kerouac Apr 21st, 2009 08:58 AM

I think it is the 'long straight blond hair' look that gives it away. I don't think any other nationality considers that to look appealing -- but it has long been a sex button for American males. I remember from my college days the discussions about 'the longer and straighter the hair, the better' -- frankly, that is weird.

kerouac Apr 21st, 2009 09:02 AM

To get back to the basics, however, I hope that you all noticed how chocolate brown is one of the main colors for end-of-winter clothes. And I'm sure you have also noticed that pink is the major bright color that is worn. I already said this here last summer, and several people were sure that I was joking.

tod Apr 21st, 2009 09:04 AM

I loose - but what possible nationality could those people be?
Look at the old gentleman - definitely not English! He obviously was a much larger man but because he had the jacket tailormade and it cost a bomb, must wear it out before he does!

kerouac Apr 21st, 2009 09:11 AM

Frankly, there is nothing stopping those people from being French. The only thing that is slightly out of the ordinary in the couple is that most old women that age in France still prefer to wear dresses or skirts rather than slacks.