paris/so fr vs rome/florence w/kids

Jul 5th, 2002, 06:41 PM
ll

paris/so fr vs rome/florence w/kids

I am considering a week long trip to Paris/South of France vs Rome/Florence for my daughter's high school graduation gift next year. We have only spent a day in Paris before (a one day Eurostar trip from London), and it will be our family of three, including an 11 year old boy. I'm sure either trip would be wonderful, but I'm thinking a young boy would probably be more interested in Paris. I am also somewhat apprehensive since we speak neither language, but I'm thinking France would be an easier trip. Any thoughts to help me out or other ideas for a special trip?

Thanks.

Jul 5th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Shannon

I've done both with kids. I suspect that both your daughter and the 11 year old would prefer the France trip, especially summer in the south of France. We visited the Cote D'Azur & Paris when my son was 9 and did Spain/Portugal/Paris with my then 16 year old niece when my son was 11. Although they both enjoyed Spain and Portugal, they really had the best time in Paris, and I think my niece would have preferred the South of France had I taken her on that trip.

The reason is, they both love the beach, which is wonderful and warm there. My son never got bored, not even walking around. We were in Cannes for Bastille Day that year, and it was wonderful. That year they also had a fireworks "war" with other countries, so we had different fireworks displays every few days. Mind you, the French had just won the World Cup, so we were able to participate in the huge party. We spent time on the beach in Ste Maxime, St Tropez, Juan les Pins, as well as the free beaches in Cannes. Great fun!

Jul 5th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Wendy

Although I love Italy, I would vote for Paris and the south of France. We've spent a lot of time in both, and recently took our kids(ages 13 and 10) to Paris for the first time. A book I found quite helpful was, "Paris With Kids", published, I believe by Fodor's. It had great suggestions- including info on an interactive magic museum in the Marais which was perfect for my 10-year-old. We also enjoyed the teen boutiques in Les Halles, and a night tour of the Seine on a Bateau Mouche.
In the south, if you have a car for a few days, you could visit the hilltowns ( St. Paul de Vence) and/or spend a day or two on the beach at St. Tropez or in Nice. If you need any other info, just e-mail.
Good luck in your planning!

Jul 6th, 2002, 08:01 AM
mpprh

Hi

take a look at languedoc on -

http://tlp.netfirms.com

Montpellier is 3 hrs from Paris by TGV, and the rail route runs along the coast

Peter

Jul 6th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Leslie

I can't imagine they wouldn't like either trip. I'm surprised at the definitive answers in favor of France...only because we took our kids, ages 13 and 10, to Rome/Florence/Venice/Assisi/Tuscany last spring and they absolutely loved it.

Admittedly they didn't have alot of tolerance for art museums but loved Rome and Venice as well as a farmstay in Tuscany.

The Italians were wonderfully friendly, especially to people with children and the gelato was a real highlight. Plus, we had no trouble with finicky eaters - pizza and pasta galore.

Next trip for this family will be France, even though the kids are asking to go back to Italy.