Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Smog (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-smog-1008931/)

mentv Mar 19th, 2014 01:27 PM

Paris Smog

Friends are expressing concern about an upcoming trip
to Paris on 4/13. Two single gals with slight lung problems.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tampa Gals

nanaof4 Mar 19th, 2014 01:36 PM

I have never observed smog in Paris on the 3 trips I made their, but they were all in the late 90s. Maybe things have changed.

bardo1 Mar 19th, 2014 01:44 PM

Paris is in fact experiencing the worst smog in their history. I have no idea what "slight lung problems" means exactly - if these young ladies are concerned, they need to talk with their respective doctors. This is NOT a travel related question. Or are you asking what they can do without going out of doors?

kerouac Mar 19th, 2014 02:06 PM

The smog is gone.

PalenQ Mar 19th, 2014 02:47 PM

This is NOT a travel related question>

What more relevant travel related question could there be?

mentv Mar 20th, 2014 07:40 AM

Dear Kerouac,

Thank you-thank you. I would have been sad not to go to
Paris. My has never been. I am planning the museums and
Hop on Hop, Lunch at La Fermette Marbeuf and the J. Andre
for a day. Any suggestions for dinner? We will be staying
on Rennes. Using bus 95 and taxis. I have difficulty with
stairs so avoid the metro. Are Monets back at the Marmottan?

PalenQ Mar 20th, 2014 10:14 AM

menty - you may want to go in August when driving is way down and folks tell me the air much cleaner as a result - also on weekends but I think it would be rare for anyone with slight lung problems to be bothered much - it ain't Beijing!

Sue4 Mar 22nd, 2014 07:58 AM

I was very much interested in this post, as I had been reading about the Paris smog. I am leaving for Paris on April 22, and I, too, have a slight lung problem. And this CERTAINLY IS a relevant travel question! I was quite happy to see Kerouac's reply. For Paris questions, he's right on the mark.

kerouac Mar 22nd, 2014 08:49 AM

Smog comes with sunny weather. Just hope that it rains every day. ;-)

Seamus Mar 22nd, 2014 10:51 AM

There was an inversion which trapped the smog which under other circumstances would have dissipated. It is neither normal or a frequent occurrence. It's over now.

In virtually any major city there is an issue with atmospheric pollutants (mostly from vehicle emissions) that may not necessarily be visible like smog but are nonetheless capable of triggering symptoms in those vulnerable. Those with any chronic lung disease absolutely should check with health care provider prior to travel, have on hand inhaler or whatever might be needed.

kerouac Mar 22nd, 2014 11:53 AM

In the recent episode, it was estimated that 52% of the problem was due to local vehicle emissions and local industrial pollution, but the rest came from "elsewhere." Some of the neighboring countries still burn lots of coal for energy production, and France sometimes suffers from this.