Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris: shuttle from CDG into city (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-shuttle-from-cdg-into-city-550759/)

USNR Aug 10th, 2005 10:20 AM

Paris: shuttle from CDG into city

Has anyone made the trip to or from CDG and the city center lately?

Is the service still OK?

Do you know what the current charge is for a party of two persons?

Are the phone numbers and the pickup system still the same?

Robespierre Aug 10th, 2005 10:25 AM

Yes.
Yes.
No.
Yes.

francophile03 Aug 10th, 2005 10:26 AM

There are quite a few shuttle companies. Which one are you asking about? Do a search in the box above for 'Paris and shuttles' and you should get many replies. Generally most people find that shuttles are not worth the lower cost as they can be late or not pick you up at all and drive other passengers to their destinations first.

Wifeybug Aug 10th, 2005 10:41 AM

I've used Airport Connection, and the service was fine.

Paris Shuttle is another one that folks recommend.

Both companies have websites, I believe, where you can make reservations online. They should have prices listed there as well.

If you don't want to make a few stops along the way, and don't want to share the ride with others, then you can always take a taxi.

Hope this helps.

MorganB Aug 10th, 2005 11:22 AM

I dont care for shuttle service. You are locked in with a prepay and have to deal with all that nonsense if they dont show. A taxi is only slightly more.

Travelnut Aug 10th, 2005 12:16 PM

I've never prepaid for a shuttle but it's been a while since I used one...

Travelnut Aug 10th, 2005 12:17 PM

Don't forget about Roissybus (8-9€) and Air France buses (11-12€)

Gretchen Aug 10th, 2005 12:18 PM

If there are two of you the cost of a taxi is only about 5€ more--not worth the hassle of a shuttle to us.

francophile03 Aug 10th, 2005 12:22 PM

That's true. To save about 5 euro more or less by taking the shuttle is not worth it.

Bigal Aug 10th, 2005 01:20 PM

If you take a taxi during the rush hour (and one of the rush hours is when you catch an overnight flight from the US )it can be more than 5€. Also note there are probably half a dozen vans from CDG and not all have exactly the same rate.

Robert2533 Aug 10th, 2005 03:30 PM

A shuttle would be fine it there are 5 or 6 people traveling as a group and you're all staying at the same hotel, otherwise, stay with the taxi unless you actually want a tour of the city, because your hotel is always the last one. The most we're ever paid for a taxi to and from the 6th is 48 euros, including a nice tip.

silas Aug 10th, 2005 03:53 PM

My husband and I just returned on 7/31 from 2 weeks in france. We spent the last 5 days in Paris and arranged to take the Airport Shuttle to CDG. The driver did arrive 5 minutes early with 3 other passengers and not enough room for us or our luggage. He was rude and would not speak to my husband but was talking to his boss by phone. He left without explanation and would not refund our money. Needless to say I would not recommned this service at all. We were lucky enough to get a taxi to come withoin 10 minutes and we did not miss our flight. Very disappointing service and the only negative to our trip.

worldinabag Aug 10th, 2005 04:17 PM

Hi

A taxi from CDG to Eiffel cost us (2) 60E. Traffic was pretty slow. We used a shuttle service - Paris Shuttle (www.parishuttle.com) - from Eiffel to CDG. It cost us 38E. No complaints. This service was booked from our hotel. I've always used taxis but I used a shuttle for the first time in Madrid to get to the airport at the suggestion of the hotel. Again this was cheaper than the taxi. I can't comment about taking from the airport but from my experience they are definitely cheaper and I will use shuttles in future.

Hope this helps

Travelnut Aug 11th, 2005 05:05 AM

Our highest taxi fare was on Sunday (supplement) from the 5th to CDG: 55€

Bigal Aug 11th, 2005 06:12 AM

There are at least half dozen van companies (not all with exact same price) that compete so one bad experience is nothing to go by. As far as a taxi being only 5 € more, better not believe that. The price of a taxi depends on traffic and rush hour in Paris coincides with overnight flights from the US so unless you arrive on Saturday or Sunday AM from the US you are most certaily arriving at the most expensive taxi time and 60 € can be standard. Also, on the trip back to CDG when you call for a taxi (unless there is a stand right outside your hotel) you have to pay when the meter starts abd a possible 10€ extra charge is not unheard of.

The van is the cheapest and very reliable.Taxis are cheap if you arrive Saturday or Sunday AM.

ira Aug 11th, 2005 06:17 AM

Hi USNR,

Try www.beeshuttle.com and www.parishuttle.com

Fares are about 18E pp.

You pay after you are dropped off.

((I))

PJI Aug 11th, 2005 06:23 AM

We took a shuttle in January when we were there. For all the waiting, reserving, etc. it wasn't worth it. We wished we'd just taken a cab.

Robespierre Aug 11th, 2005 06:33 AM

"The van is the cheapest and very reliable." - bigal

Correction: the RER/Métro is the cheapest (8€), and not subject to traffic jams.

Yeah, I know. "It's 'difficult' if you have luggage." To which I reply: if you can't get your bags off a plane and onto a train, you need to learn how to travel lighter.

Travelnut Aug 11th, 2005 06:33 AM

Consider taking the Air France bus to either Etoile or Montparnasse, then a taxi. 12€ each for AF, then 8-10€ for taxi. Cheaper than shuttle, no waiting, no scheduling or reserving, no schlepping 2 wk's worth luggage on metro...

barbmc Aug 11th, 2005 07:11 AM

Travelnut suggested taking AF to Montparnasse and then a taxi...which would cost about 34 Euro for two people. We considered that option but ended up taking a taxi from CDG to St. Germain de Pres area and it cost 44Euro. To us it was easier than having to transfer the luggage and extra wait, etc.

Whatever seems easier and less stressful to you is what you should do.