Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris- should I buy advanced tickets for the Goya exhibit at the Petit Palais, and for the Babylon exhibit at the Louvre?

Search

Paris- should I buy advanced tickets for the Goya exhibit at the Petit Palais, and for the Babylon exhibit at the Louvre?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing advanced tickets for the Babylon exhibit won't be necessary, because it's been showing for some time now and wouldn't have long lines, but maybe I'm wrong?

The Goya exhibit recently opened at the Petit Palais, and I'm thinking I should get advanced tickets to avoid long lines. Has anyone been? What's the best way to purchase tickets in advance? I'm being lazy, I need to look at FNAC. Do they mail you the tickets or do you pick them up? Would buying them online from the UK make any difference?

I'd be greatful for any advice or suggestions.

Oh, I should mention- I'll be in Paris the last week of April. I'm going to try to get to the Louvre on a weekday, but will probably be going to the Petit Palais on either Sat or Sun. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:16 AM

Hello Apres_Londee

I can't help with your advanced ticket question.

However, I will offer just a reminder that Thursday, May 1st the Louvre will be closed.

We will also be in Paris the last week of April, and had to do some rescheduling of "the plan" as two of our six days the Louvre is closed (always closed on Tuesdays).

I am picturing hundreds of tourists flocking the area on Thursday, not realizing the one day they've set aside to see the museum, it's closed.

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:19 AM

I've always bought advanced tickets for the special exhibits at the Grand Palais, Petit Palais, d'Orsay and the Musee Luxembourg.

I've also purchased through FNAC and picked them up at a FNAC store, the one on Rue de Rennes 136 in the 6th because we stay on the Left Bank.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:28 AM

I can't help on whether you should buy advance tickets or not, but I've bought various tickets from FNAC and being in the UK is irrelevant to them. They don't care where you are located. I've always picked them up in the store, as I wouldn't want tickets mailed to me any way, in a foreign country (too much danger of getting lost in the mail). I think they will mail to foreign countries but they will charge you a lot for it, of course.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM

If an exhibition is almost over, it can get crowded again, so it might be worth buying tickets for the Babylon exhibit anyway.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I should just go ahead and reserve for bothsexhibits, I'll have to think some more about dates and times. I'm glad to see on the fnac site that there's a Bastille location with ticket pick-up, as that makes things convenient for me.

Hi swisshiker, I'll be leaving Paris on the 30th so won't have any May 1 issues, but that's a good reminder for others who are planning trips over those dates.