Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris shoppers- where to buy lipstick? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-shoppers-where-to-buy-lipstick-794124/)

padams421 Jul 6th, 2009 01:57 PM

Paris shoppers- where to buy lipstick?

My mother in law wants me to buy her a lipstick in Paris. I'll be traveling with a husband and 2 sons who have no interest in shopping unless the store sells football (soccer) gear so I need to buy a lipstick as quickly as possible. I'm sure we'll take a stroll down the Champs Elysee during our week in Paris. Any suggestions on where to buy MIL a lipstick? Preferably near the Addidas store on the Champs Elysee?

Thank you!

grandmere Jul 6th, 2009 02:09 PM

There's the giant Sephora store on the Champs-Elysees; you could even have her choose her lip color onine. www.sephora.com

surfmom Jul 6th, 2009 02:17 PM

I second it for Sephora.

cigalechanta Jul 6th, 2009 02:42 PM

If you are fond of your MIL, give her something special. tho expensive lipstick, she will remember. know her shade. Pink? peach? Brownish? Go to the shop on Rue Camdon. They will gift wrap it with the signature ribbon and fake camelia and put in in a tote paper bag with another camelia. I use my camelias in summer as a choker or label pin.

seetheworld Jul 6th, 2009 03:27 PM

LOL -- what an image you have created - dashing as quickly as possible to buy a lipstick. I understand about being outnumbered by men in the household!

oh I like cigalechanta's idea very much. That would be very special.

LaurenKahn1 Jul 6th, 2009 03:32 PM

You could buy a lipstick at Sephora in the US and tell your mom that you bought it in Europe.

A similar strategem is used by me when buying bottles of wine to bring back for neighbors who keep an eye on my house when I am away. There is this neighborhood wine shop that carries wine from absolutely everywhere, you see.

Fodorite018 Jul 6th, 2009 03:50 PM

Would she mind if it were more of a gloss than a stick? If not, then Nuxe makes really nice ones. DD and I are hooked on those. Monoprix carries them as well as I think every pharmacy. They are about 16 euro.

suze Jul 6th, 2009 04:45 PM

I like cigalechanta's suggestion, THAT sounds unique. Since Sephora is all over the U.S. these days it hardly seems special to Paris.

LaurenKahn1 Jul 6th, 2009 05:02 PM

Well, if you want to bother with a special trip to a special store in the middle of your trip it might be nice. The fact of the matter is that shopping is international these days and that's the way it is. There is precious little that can only be bought at a specific place in Europe.

That special shopping bag with the fake flower is destined to be smashed in luggage before you get home. Those sorts of items I refer to as "albatrosses". You spend all the time taking care of them to look beautiful and then something happens. I once got a large santon back safely and then dropped it in the airport here. The feet broke off and I had to repair it. Never again.

cigalechanta Jul 6th, 2009 05:11 PM

Sorry, my purchase came back intact. It's a chance to visit a part of Paris you may never had visited. You can leave the males at a cafe while you go there, They will offer you a mineral water as they test the lipstick you might like.
It's one of my favorite alone, fun times. They were so nice and not as snotty as in the Chanel boutiques here.
A lipstick is not fragile like a santon. sheesh!

LaurenKahn1 Jul 6th, 2009 05:23 PM

Well, I agree that a lipstick is not as fragile as a santon, but then there is the fake flower. All that stuff is something else to worry about. That, combined with the liquids rules on planes means I don't bring back wine anymore for "thank you" gifts.

I also have sworn off Italian pottery. Now that stuff really is an albatross.

I restrict myself to small items of inexpensive artisal jewelry and/or an occasional CD now. I don't have anymore wall space for posters and/or art (not to mention expensive bills from the frame guy).

Basically, I have largely given up shopping overseas.

cigalechanta Jul 6th, 2009 05:38 PM

you are sounding weird , the flower is not fragile. This IS a small item!!!!
I miss my olive oil!

seetheworld Jul 6th, 2009 05:44 PM

cigale, do you remember the thread about places to shop in Paris -- all sorts of items (mustards, spices, oils)?

My search efforts are coming up empty.

cigalechanta Jul 6th, 2009 06:00 PM

no but I can tell you Maille mustards where I bought a few exotic blends for myself and Pastis's sitter. Also a place called Dedhu's(I'll have to check spelling) where I bought the violet mustard and where my friend buys her dried mushrooms. There are a few shops noted for spices, but forget the addresses. Olive oils are easier to find at any decent store as the oil is importent to most French cooks :)

seetheworld Jul 6th, 2009 06:06 PM

Yes, yes, yes, Maille and violet mustards were mentioned several times on that thread !

If you could check the spelling for "Dedhu's" it would be very much appreciated. Merci, cigale!

cigalechanta Jul 6th, 2009 06:48 PM

i'll check with Abby who visits there often.
Here;s the spice shop:

http://www.paris-insider.com/food-sh...ical-sniff-bar

suze Jul 6th, 2009 06:58 PM

Sheezus louisus... a tube of lipstick is not *Italian pottery*... get a grip there LaurenKahn1!

And what the heck does YOU not having space on your wall for a poster of Paris have to do with this person buying a tube of lipstick for her mother in law?????

cigalechanta Jul 6th, 2009 07:32 PM

STW:

Detou (58 rue Tiquetonne, 2nd/01.42.36.54.67/Open 8.30am-6.30pm), whose name appropriately means “everything.” This is the place to buy 3-kilo bags of Valrhona chocolate or a tub of pistachio paste

cigalechanta Jul 6th, 2009 07:37 PM

and here are photos on David Lebovitz's ode to this shop :)

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive...1/g_detou.html

grandmere Jul 6th, 2009 09:17 PM

Cigale, what is the name of the "lipstick" shop on rue Camdon?