Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris - Saturday?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-saturday-301318/)

Eliza Mar 27th, 2003 09:18 AM

Paris - Saturday??

My husband and I are leaving for Paris on Saturday. We are a little concerned about all the talk re: anti-American sentiment, but are still really excited about our trip. Has anyone recently returned from Paris that can offer some insight? Or as many of you seem to have great knowledge re: travel to Paris, do you have any advice?

elaine Mar 27th, 2003 10:02 AM

Hi<BR>if you scroll down on the left for the past several days you will find many similar inquiries and responses. The consensus from recent Am. visitors to Paris is that they had their expected wonderful time.<BR><BR>I haven't been there just now, but based on many trips, my advice would be smile, relax, and have a wonderful time.<BR>I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at<BR>[email protected]

sweet_emily Mar 27th, 2003 12:29 PM

Hi, Eliza,<BR><BR>We're leaving Saturday too, via SFO. Friends, family and co-workers fret, but we feel that by and large, people treat you as you treat them. People in other countries typically dislike/hate our government and policies -- or what they perceive those to be -- but generally like Americans unless you're acting like the &quot;ugly American&quot;. Having said that, we plan to wear mostly dark clothing, keep a low profile, and have been practicing our Canadian accents!

sweet_emily Mar 27th, 2003 12:37 PM

And one more thought -- your chances of being hit by a car within a one mile radius of your home is so much greater than your chances of being hurt while traveling. Don't let the fear-mongers keep you from enjoying your trip -- and your life, for that matter. I have long held the theory that watching TV is responsible for many people's out-of-proportion fear of things like travel, flying, etc.

Eliza Mar 27th, 2003 01:55 PM

Thank you both for your reassuring words. In my heart I agree with you, but it is easy to get skiddish right now. <BR><BR>Emily, we are facing the same issues re: families/coworkers fretting and as such have also thought about Canadian accents - though would hate to have to pretend.<BR><BR>Have a great time on your trip - it's an unlikely event, but maybe we will see you there. Just look for another American couple in dark clothes possibly pretending to be Canadian!

bmanley Mar 27th, 2003 02:08 PM

Just returned last night. Weather was unseasonably warm, trees leafing out, bulbs blooming. NO anti american feelings expressed, everyone patient with language goofs. We got word of Peace Rally near Sorbonne and covered a different part of town that day. One indifferent waiter and one rude cloakroom lady but she had no idea we were American just shoved our things away without a word-we have no idea why!It was my daughter and my 1st. trip so have no clue about usual crowds but everything was busy but not mobbed and we could see paintings etc at our leisure .Many tourist from all parts of the world.

Eliza Mar 27th, 2003 02:49 PM

I am thrilled to hear that everything was so nice. After reading your message, I think my stress level went down 10 points. I'm once again excited to go and hope that this will be the first of many trips to France.

Thyra Mar 27th, 2003 04:41 PM

I was in France 3 weeks ago. People as lovely as always. Just be polite and they should be polite back, give or take the odd, urban rudness, which you can find much more of in Beverly Hills then Paris IMHO. .. Bon Voyage!

RonZ Mar 27th, 2003 06:14 PM

We were there last week and received the same warm reception we always have. Had an absolutely super time.

Joelle Mar 28th, 2003 01:47 AM

There are currently many tourists in Paris (and of course American ones).<BR>They seem to be OK....<BR>I did not hear or see anything going wrong.

konejos Mar 29th, 2003 09:34 PM

My wife and I traveled to Paris the firts of Feb. (2003). I was hit by a pickpocket on the metro. One distracted me by dropping something and grabbing my pant leg and jerking. It was unsuccessful because I was wearing a money pouch around my neck. Two years earlier in Paris two very young gypsies were successful. Do not get on a crowded Metro! Do not carry anything of value in your pockets! Paris is full of pick pockets. A Paris lady next to me later said she saw the attempted pickpocket but was afraid to say anything because she often rode this line.