Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - safe to walk this route at night with luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arriving in Paris from the train station after 10pm. Should we get a taxi from Gare du Nord, or just take the train on to Charles de Gaulle - Étoile metro (Arc de Triomphe) and walk?

We have train tickets to Gare du Nord from our previous destination, but how do we get tickets to carry on to the Charles de Gaulle - Étoile metro which is close to our destination / accommodations? I'm not at all familiar with Paris. Any help at all is appreciated.

We will have light luggage only.

Route: http://i.imgur.com/rXkt311.jpg (B is our destination)
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 06:48 PM

I would get a taxi. I personally would not walk in that area at night. It may be perfectly safe, but the last time I was there I watched drug deals right on the street. I am a female and from a very small town, so it may not bother you.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

>the last time I was there I watched drug deals right on the street.

Uh oh, really? Maybe that's a bad area??
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 06:55 PM

You buy metro tickets from a machine or a manned booth. Follow the metro signs once you get off the train.

Take line 4 (direction Porte de Clignancourt) 1 stop to Barbes Rochechouart.

Then take line 2 in the direction of Porte Dauphine and get off at Etoile.

I would take a taxi.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 06:56 PM

There are drug deal going on all over the world, including small towns.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 06:58 PM

I just looked at your map. You're going to be tired (perhaps; I don't know where you're coming from) and want your bed. Get a cab.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 06:59 PM

Like I said, I am from a very small rural area in East Texas. The sidewalks roll up before dark. If you are from a city and are accustomed to street people and their activities, you may not be uncomfortable. I was.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:00 PM

I'm going to have to go with you to hold your hand (particularly if there will be cafe society ambiance - LOL).

Do you see that the Ternes metro is closer to your hotel than CDG-Etoile? And it's one less stop on the metro.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:01 PM

adrienne-yes, I am aware that even small towns have drugs to deal with. I don't walk around in those areas either.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:03 PM

I'm from a small town but not rural but these things don't phase me. 10:00 or 11:00 is not late enough to be worried. There will be tons of people around. Don't be frightened springfling.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Does this look right? >> http://i.imgur.com/ut76h8U.jpg

The price, I mean.

Yes, maybe a taxi is best. I think as it all adds up - unfamiliar surroundings, traveling all day, late at night, etc - it would be best to spend the extra money and take a taxi.

I assume there are plenty to be found at the train station.

Then we will get a Navigo pass the next day, a Wednesday.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

>street people and their activities,

- - - - -

oh dear, that sounds ominous!
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:07 PM

You will have to pay for your bags and it looks like there's a night supplement of E1.3. I would budget E20 to E25 to be safe. I tip the driver 10%.

As you exit the main door of the train station there will be a taxi rank. Join the end of the line. One nice thing about Paris train stations (and airports) is there is a taxi facilitator and I've always found these people to be exceptionally helpful.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Never take an offer of a taxi from someone inside the train station. These are gypsy cabbies. Always use the taxi rank with the words Taxi Parisienne on the top.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:10 PM

I would love some street people and activities! My favorites are the fire dancers in Poland.

spring - where are you coming from?
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, We come from Amsterdam this time
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 07:59 PM

Agree with the taxi as best option, but note that the taxi rank at GdN is not out through the main entrance - you will want to exit to the right as you are coming off the platforms.

As to Navigo pass, keep in mind that Wednesday is the last day on which to buy a pass valid for the current week. Starting on Thursday the passes sold are for for validity starting the following Monday.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Seamus, so if we buy Navigo passes on Wednesday morning, they are good until the next Monday? I'm confused, sorry. The pass will be good Wednesday - midnight Sunday? I will be there Tuesday night until the following Tuesday morning. What should we do? I really want to get the Navigo passes, as we will be using the bus and metro a lot. Especially considering we not in the center of the city.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 02:07 AM

The navigo runs out at midnight Sunday. You will need to buy a carnet of tickets for Monday and Tuesday morning.

I worked out that I needed to use the metro/bus at least three times a day to make the navigo break even. Remember you will need a photo and have to pay about 5 euro to get the first navigo card. How many are there of you? The navigo is convenient for sure, but for that short amount of time the tickets (buy packs of 10) could be more economical. I found I took the metro from my hotel (18th) into where ever I was going then walked so much I didn't need the metro in between getting it back "home". But of course I don't know what you have in mind to see and do.

Schnauzer
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 04:12 AM

For Wednesday - Sunday I would go ahead and get the navigo - it is really not that hard to use it three times a day, and if you end up having a day when you only used it twice, chalk it up to convenience and flexibility. Then on Monday, get a carnet. You'll have your bearings by then and getting around will be easier.

As for the Gare du Nord - that's where we have arrived on our last two trips - at that time of night I agree, just spring for a taxi and go straight from the station to your hotel. Not that you'll be terribly unsafe, but why add that stress to the end of your day? Hope you have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -