paris restaurants for familes

Apr 22nd, 2000, 05:19 AM
stacey

paris restaurants for familes

We will be in Paris for 1 week in June with our 2 children ages 11 & 10. Any recommendations for some good restaurants conducive to families. Thanks for your help

Apr 23rd, 2000, 07:07 AM
elaine

Dear Stacey
In my Paris notes I have the gist of an article that appeared on the internet last year concerning Paris restaurants for kids. None of them sounded like
haute cuisine, but perhaps a few of them would be interesting to you.
If you would like my notes, please email me.

Apr 24th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Caitlin

I'd consider visiting some creperies. They are casual, fairly inexpensive, and provide a dining experience that is quite French, but need not be challenging, i.e., there are a range of choices for crepe fillings both sweet and savory that vary from the familiar (ham and cheese, chocolate) to the new and foreign (chestnut purée). Most creperies also have other dishes, like omoelettes and salads, as well. Another bonus is that creperies tend to be open for continual service, which might be helpful if your kids have a hard time waiting until the French dinner hour (which usually begins around 8). Two that we thought were very good are Creperie des Arts, 27, rue Saint-André-des-Arts (6th arr.) and Creperie Beaubourg, next to the fountain at the Place Igor Stravinsky, adjacent to the Centre George Pompidou. Another place that might be fun is Paradis du Fruit, a place with sandwiches, salads, etc. and also a wide selection of fruit smoothies and fruit-and-ice-cream concoctions with a French twist. 27-29, quai des Grand-Augustins (6h arr.), across the Seine from the Ile de la Cité.

Apr 24th, 2000, 11:44 AM
jo ann

Stacey: Last year (July) we spent 2 weeks in France (Paris & other spots) with our then 10 year old daughter. Had a great time!!! She is a rather adventurous eater, but I still worried ahead of time that she would have difficulty finding choices in restaurants -- not a problem at all. Great salads, lots of grilled seafood & chicken, in the south of france great simple pasta dishes, and of course wonderful fruit & ice cream desserts.
In answer to your question, one evening we enjoyed meeting up with friends who had 2 daughters (12 and 14) and we went to a restaurant recommended by the older girl's french teacher, a Belgian who visits France each year. The restaurant is Le Troumilou, just onto the right bank from the double bridge by Notre Dame. (I can find the address at home from my guidebook -- if you can't locate it, email me at the above & I will look it up, but it was so very easy to find.)
It was quite inexpensive (like, totally!) and the food was wonderful, and the management was just plain fine with kids. My daughter & I had memorably wonderful lentil soup, and a roast chicken with a deep dark sauce that was to die for (and the experience was very inexpensive, I thought: we got there as they opened at 7, which was another plus with children; we stayed til 10:30, we were 5 adults and 3 hungry children, numerous carafes of wine were gone thru, we all had soup, main course & dessert, and the bill inclusive of the exorbitant tax & service was $160.) If you hit there, the french fries are beyond belief, the garlic green beans (which they whipped up for the 12 year old who is a "vegetarian") were magnifique -- it was great!!!
I'll check with my daughter this evening and if she can recall specifics of other favorites I'll email you with them.
Enjoy! It was a great age for my daughter's first trip over there -- she was totally ready, and asks me at least monthly when we're going back to Paris!
(answer is 2001!)

Apr 24th, 2000, 12:35 PM
Al

Jo Ann: you will be SO glad in years to come that you took your daughters with you to France. Looking back, we treasure those days of 30 years ago when we took ours, who were back then about the same ages as yours are now. Upstairs on Avenue Richelieu near the Opera is a place we always laugh about. It is called Le Drouot, does a roaring business, very informal, and serves great food. The first time we went there back in 1970, a waiter got into an argument with a woman who had had too much to drink. They wound up throwing plates and glasses at each other, exchanging punches, and finally the "lady" was given the heave-ho by the proprietor! Talk about Gallic charm!!! We just kept on poking our faces with choucroute garni, glace chantilly, and more! The "floor show" was free!