Paris Restaurant's on New Year's Eve

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Paris Restaurant's on New Year's Eve

My girlfriend gave my a birthday present last week--dinner on New Year's Eve...in Paris!

I've always found little bistros wherever I walked in Paris, but this seems like one time a special place is called for.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Bofinger - book early. I think if you book online you can get a 10% discount.

Just so you know, most Paris restaurants that are open for NYE have a set menu and a fixed price and take reservations long in advance, so do plan to reserve in advance wherever you want to go.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

I've been to Bofinger, in the Bastille/Marais, I think. It was good. Thanks
Jim
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:06 PM

jimure - We will be in Paris for NY as well and I have been doing a lot of thought on this same idea.

I have decided on Le Ciel De Paris at La Tour Montparnasse, partly because of the view as well as the food. The menus are set and any place that has dinner and dancing/show/ seems to be in the E250+ per person range. Le Ciel was in the E350 pp range. Dinner shows (Moulin Rouge etc. are in the E550 pp range....

Menus do not appear to be out yet and Le Ciel is not taking reservations yet.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Oh, robjame....really?

I think Ciel de Paris is so incredibly overrated....really downright bad, IMO.

It's ridiculously expensive, the drinks are horrible, and the service is dreadful.

Was just there for the second time for drinks a few days ago....and once again really disappointed. The view IS spectacular.

I hope you reconsider, as I know you have really good taste in food and restaurants, probably way better than mine!
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM

Here is a site with last year's NYE menus

http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/...tes=1&=&page=1

St Cirq - glad you mentioned that as you are the second person who has said that about Le Ciel. I respect your advise.

Help.

Suggestions?.. we want something special.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM

arghhh... advice

jimure - Prices listed often include champagne/ drinks
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 05:43 AM

robjame, have you considered one of the other Flo restaurants, like Vaudeville or Le Boeuf sur le Toît?

Also, Parisian friends of mine regularly spend NYE on board Les Yachts de Paris and say the food is really good and it's delightful to be on the water for the fireworks.

I can't speak personally for any of these....just a few thoughts.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 05:07 AM

For anyone planning to be in Paris for New Year's Eve, some restaurants seem to taking reservations now.

Jules Verne is accepting internet bookings. Le Ciel de Paris as well. The cruise and show menus are posted.

The best restaurant site I posted above does not seem to have been updated.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 07:27 AM

If you're willing to lay out some big time cash, the place I think that would be totally over the top for NYEve would be the Crystal Room at Baccarrat. The whole place is almost otherworldly beautiful. You feel like Alice in Wonderland. That said, while the food and service were good when we were there a couple of years ago, the 2008/9 Zagat guide is pretty negative about that aspect of the place. So it depends on what you're looking for in a NYE experience, but if decor and cool vibe are your barometers, you'd remember this place forever. Reservations might be tough to get and price could be a distinct object but it is "a special place."
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:50 AM

I've already booked at Moulin de la Galette for New Year's Eve, and they just emailed me the menu this week. It's €185 per person, which doesn't sound like it's all that bad. I'm still not sure if we'll do this, or do something else. I like the boat idea, and might look into that as an alternative.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM

can I be so bold to offer a different idea?

We had a great NYE dinner last year in Paris -- at "home." We went to the fishmonger and ordered raw oysters to be shucked for us, went to the fromagerie and bought some cheeses, the boulangerie for bread and pretty tartlets, bought flowers, wine and champagne--it was the best meal, so much more pleasant than the overpriced NYE menus, and atmospheric--standing on line shopping with everyone else doing the same thing was fun. we went out to the bars after. (note: this only works if you rent an apt)
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:43 PM

Thanks cherrybomb! That's actually Plan B for the time being, as I have rented an apt. I'm sort of leaning towards that because I can't imagine spending that much money just on one dinner.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any recommendations of fun bars on NYE in Paris? I'm not really sure where the fun will be, short of it's probably best to stay away from the Champs Elysee.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM

I really couldn't bring myself to do the ripoff dinner, the apt thing was fun--lines are long at the markets though, but whatever.

we stayed away from Champs area and went out trolling around the 11th and 12th. it seemed that most locals were having private parties and not at the bars on NYE, not that that ruined anything! oh, and we didn't find anyone charging a cover for bar entrance.

Art Brut is fun, but there aren't really any other bars around it that are similar if you are barhopping, it is at: 78, Rue Quincampoix
75003, I'd recommend it though while you are there...

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM

cherrybomb, the year my husband and I got to borrow the apt of a Parisian friend when she left the country for the holidays we did exactly the same. Bought oysters, foie gras, st. jacques and had the most wonderful meal with champagne. And then went out to the Champs d'Elysée with about a million other people. I would do that again in a heartbeat.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:08 PM

We once had New Year's Eve dinner at Le Maupertu in the 7th near the Invalides. They did not jack up the price of the menu, and our dinner was very, very good. That was New Year's Eve 2001-2002, so you might want want a more updated review of the food at Le Maupertu. Their website is currently going through some changes, but you can still send an email to see what the New Years Eve menu might be this year.

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks so much for the bar recommendation, cherrybomb. I will certainly check it out when we're there, and we'll see where the wind takes us on NYE. We'll be in Montmartre, so I'm sure there will be plenty of action