Reload this Page >

Paris restaurant neat Hotel Muguet 7th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 04:25 AM
John

We will be staying in the Hotel Muguet in the 7th arrondissement, nearby the Eiffel Tower, Trocadero and the Invalides. <BR> <BR>Anyone have a moderate price retaurant recommendation?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:18 AM
Donna

There are wonderful, moderately priced, restaurants in every direction. Just walk all over, peruse the posted menus, peek inside, and reserve at any place appealing to you. Reservations are not essential, but recommended (at restaurants, not the cafes). Anyone at the front desk will call and reserve for you. One of our favorite stand-bys for a quick (but really good and inexpensive) meal is an informal place called La Source (from the hotel door, go right, at the end of the street turn left on La Tour Maubourg, it's one block ahead). There's an extensive menu, they open early and close late, reservations not necessary. Terrific salad a chevre chaud (sprinkled with walnuts), croque monsieur, crepes. There's a similar place right across the street. Your dilemma will be deciding which ones to choose. And, everywhere in the neighborhood is a fabulous place to stroll. If you head toward the Seine on ave de la Bourdonnais, then turn right on St-Dominique, you'll find a street lined with those quintessential adorable Paris shops of every variety - breads, pastries, just Chocolate, fabulous pre-prepared take-away items, everything imaginable. For a really nice dinner, I highly recommend Maupertu at 94 La Tour Maubourg. The husband/wife owners are charming and welcoming, the food is wonderful and moderately priced, the dining room is gorgeous and comfortable. Ask for a window (floor to ceiling - magical views of Eglise du Dome at night) table or one on the terrace if the weather is nice.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 08:58 AM
Leslie

I especially liked Le Bistrot du 7eme which is just around the corner on Tour-Maubourg. There were lots of regular local diners there (they seem to sit the tourists in the very front). The food was very good and an excellent value.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 09:38 AM
StCirq

There are numerous, wonderful,moderate restaurants around that area. Some of my favorites are: La Fontaine de Mars, 129 rue Ste-Dominique; Le Croque au Sel (131 rue Ste-Dominique: this one is really inexpensive, 59F nightly special if you arrive by 8 pm, not haute cuisine, but good); Auberge Bressane (16, avenue de la Motte Piquet);Florimond (19, avenue de la Motte Piquet);and the Bistro de Papa, on Avenue Bosquet on the east side about three storefronts up from the Place Ecole Militaire.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:28 PM
John

thank you all for these wonderful suggestions. Theay are copied into my travel folder for use on our trip. <BR>John <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 04:17 PM
maureen

We like Le Petit Nicoise on the Rue Amelie right next to the AUP bookstore. I heard they have new owners though...

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:19 PM
s.fowler

Just back from Paris & Amsterdam. Will post more tomorrow. <BR> <BR>But on this topic: We ate at La Fontaine de Mars last Saturday evening. It was an excellent meal indeed! I had the cassoulet as my main course -- others in our party of seven were happy with other choices. The "floating island" dessert was exquisite. We were upstairs, which is much quieter and more elegant than the "homey" look downstairs. The service was friendly and a lovely time was had by all. <BR> <BR>We also ate at Thoumieux, also on Rue Ste. Dominique [no. 79]. It was a traditional bistro with mirrors, globe lights, bustling and not always helpful waiters as well as a "madam" who wasn't particularly helpful either. The food was almost as good as LFdeM. I had a roasted chicken "pintade" -- a Limousine recipe -- with braised red cabbage and chestnuts, among other flavors. The "floating island" was simpler than LFdeM, but in some ways better. It was a very "French" experience. <BR> <BR>I'd also like to recommend the wine bar Sancrerre at 22 Avenue Rapp. It is right opposite that incredible "art nouveau" door/facade. We went there twice. Rather than drinking the wine of the region named in the wine bar's name, we had a lovely red Saumur with an omlette "fourtout" [ham, chives, cheese and potatoes] They also had a sinfully carmelized tart tartin.[?] They close around 9-9:30pm. It was very reasonable.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:38 AM
John

Thanks for the great suggestions. <BR> <BR>John <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:02 AM
sarah

s.fowler <BR> <BR>could you tell us what your meals ran for two approximately. <BR> <BR>we are going in September and I am taking notes too. thanks

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:16 AM
s.fowler

Wooo... that's difficult -- we were seven. The bill for La Fontaine was close to $300, so divided by 7... around $43. USD per person. This was for 2 bottles of house red wine, appetizers, main course, desserts and coffee. Thoumieux is even harder to figure as we skipped the appetizers, but the wine was pricier. I'd guess about the same if you did the "full court press" described above. The food at both restaurants was yummy -- LaFdeM is more trendy in the food I think. It was also presented beautifully - Thoumieux is a classic French bistro.