Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Restaurant Choices? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-restaurant-choices-775521/)

kathrynj Mar 27th, 2009 02:36 PM

Paris Restaurant Choices?

I think I have whittled it down for an 8 day trip to Paris in May. Tried unsuccessfully for a reservation to Le Comptoir (booked all of May) and believe I have settled on the following:

Le Pamphlet
Christophe
L'Ami Jean
La Gaigne
Chez Maitre Paul (former posts suggested the chicken/morels dish and I love morels!)
Ze Kitchen Galerie (for lunch)

Does this seem like a pretty reasonable selection? Will be staying in an apartment in the Marais. Considered Chez Denise and Itineraries but thought I had too many others already.

Thanks, Kathy

Leely2 Mar 27th, 2009 02:48 PM

Kathryn, your list looks a lot like how mine is shaping up--and therefore seems very reasonable to me--so I'll be interested to read others' comments. I have a few wild cards that I'm thinking of as well: Café des Musées (near my apartment and apparently also yours), MBC and Afaria. And I have enjoyed Repaire de Cartouche in winter, but I'm wondering if they shine in warm weather.

kathrynj Mar 27th, 2009 03:08 PM

when are you going? I will have a computer in the apartment so am happy to post if you are going after I am (my trip is 5/12-5/20)

Leely2 Mar 27th, 2009 03:18 PM

I arrive after you leave. If you have time or energy while you're there to post, great. But just enjoy!

I had been thinking about doing the prix fixe lunch at La Table du Joel Robuchon but as I watch the exchange rate that's becoming a more remote possibility.

kathrynj Mar 27th, 2009 04:00 PM

I know---I had thought about one of the Robuchon places too....there are a lot of choices. I haven't been in Paris for 5 years and although i loved where I ate last time, I want to do different places.

maitaitom Mar 27th, 2009 04:27 PM

"Chez Maitre Paul (former posts suggested the chicken/morels dish and I love morels!)"

Every few years this restaurant comes up in conversation and we harken back to HowardR's infamous "Free range children" post. Luckily, there was no morels charge.

((H))

kathrynj Mar 27th, 2009 04:36 PM

help---what post are you referring to---and is this a plus or minus for the restaurant??!!

maitaitom Mar 27th, 2009 04:44 PM

It goes back to 2003, when Howard mistakenly substituted the word "children" for "chicken" in talking about the restaurant. Many of us (well, Ira and me) have not let him forget about it, since it gave everyone a good laugh. I don't think you have to worry.

((H))

kathrynj Mar 27th, 2009 05:04 PM

Thanks for the explanation!

I also just came across a restaurant called Auguste that seeems to get good reviews---anyone been there?

d_claude_bear Mar 27th, 2009 05:37 PM

Unless you are a dedicated "foodie" you can dine exceptionally well while skipping the famous and expensive places. In five trips to Paris, amounting to about 85 days of dining, we have been to only one of the high-reputation establishments. Get a Paris Zagat's (in English!) and feast to your delight on cuisines and in locations you desire!