Paris RER from/to CDG to/from St Michel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I are Travelling for 15 days in Europe next week, first stop in Paris. Bases on research, RER B train in fastest way and cheapest way to get to the city. But considering the long trip, we of course will each have 23kg trolley luggages in tow.
Will the RER travel be easy or quite a challenging trek? I'd like to know how long in-between walks will be and staircase/elevator access in and out of the RER. Not sure, too, how far the Rer is from the airport. We'd like to avoid taxis as they are expensive in the first place and can turn out to be much much more expensive if traffic is bad.
I hope to get useful tips from everyone.
Fyi, we will be staying Rue Dauphine on St Germain, nearest metro is Odeon.
Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM

We did the exact trip from CDG to odeon last year RER station is right in the airport-- follow signs for train to Paris-- just a short walk. Very easy access with luggage.

Because there was a transit strike at the time, we had to exit RERB at Gare du Nord and take a taxi to our hotel from there. Under normal conditions, you can take RERB to St Michel station and Switch to metro for Odeon ( may involve stairs) or 15 min walk to Odeon area on St Germaine.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 10:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You can exit directly on boulevard Saint Germain by following the connection signs to metro line 10 (which you can connect to if you want, or else just exit).
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 03:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm going to do the same thing in April and was going to post here yesterday, but you beat me to it! There's an excellent site called France Travel Planner that I found which may also be helpful to you: http://www.francetravelplanner.com/g...aerogare2.html.

Fodorites, that site says the the ticket machines for the RER take only coins; is that true? Otherwise you can purchase your ticket from a person.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 04:46 AM

We will be taking the same route in May for a longer trip, but our luggage will certainly not weigh that much. What are you bringing that would be that heavy? If you will be taking trains during the rest of your trip, you may have a bit of difficulty wrestling that much stuff aboard. Suggest you consider lightening your load.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 05:55 AM

Now that I plug that weight into my head, it is a LOT. I checked a bag our last flight and could really not conceive of taking it on a trip from place to place (this was coming home only to a car!!). I cannot see that on the RER/metro.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 07:35 AM

We travelled with friends a couple of years ago who carried a LOT of luggage (2 rollers each and 1 which was HUGE). They succeeded in dealing with the stairs, escalators, narrow passageways on the trains with a lot of musclework. I really wondered if all that luggage was worth it and more than once getting through the turnstile was a major hassle for them.

The RER is underground or going through less than pretty Paris. If you can cut back on the luggage weight, I would highly recommend the Roissybus - all above ground and you feel like you are getting a tour before you even get to l'Opera -- where there is a large RER/metro station to take you wheverever you please.

Have fun!
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 07:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
THe RER station at CDG is ok to negotiate, but you ought to be aware that there can be long queues for the ticket office AND the self-service ticket machines - there just aren't enough of them. Also, depending on which terminal you arrive at, you may have to get a shuttle train to the head of the RER line.

i can't remember any problems with stairs at THAT end, but there were some at the exit at Chatelet [though there are load of different exits and the one you want may be different. but we were travelling light so it wasn't too much of a problem.

again, do you REALLY need bags that heavy? THe RER is the simplest may to travel, but it is easier if your luggage is fairly light.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM

If you can't get your bags through the turnstile the ticket clerk can open the door next to the turnstile.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM

I would have done that too annhig. Tough to carry all that around in public.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM

The RER does have fast en route times into Paris but it is not the fastest way to your hotel. Taxis are but a few steps from baggage claim or the customs exit and you can be on your way in a taxi before you reach the service window and join the line to purchase RER tickets. Taxis also have dedicated lanes separate from other traffic along A1 which helps greatly in keeping fares low and en route times minimal.

A taxi will drop you off at your hotel´s door step, taking the RER usually means connecting with the métro to a stop near your hotel and walking the final distance. This all takes time and unless you know in advance specifically where your hotel sits reference to the closest métro station, this option can take much more time than many people anticipate.

No question that an RER ticket at 8.70€ will cost less for one or two people than the typical 45€ to 55€ charge for a taxi but for many who enter into Paris for the first time, are carrying luggage, and are unfamiliar with the RER or the métro, a taxi should be their first choice.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You all are making me reconsider taking the RER into Paris. I had decided to do it for the cost, but grabbing a taxi sounds so much easier in a sleep-deprived state, even with light luggage.

Ellen
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I was just anticipating we may max out the weight limit of our airline especially going back home after we've done a bit of shopping. But most of our stuff are really just clothes and may not even weigh that much really. However, our luggages will still be each a 28in one because that is the only one we have that can accommodate this trip. Our other trolleys are way too small. Don't want to bring a duffel or backpack.
I gather I can pretty much pull our trolley easily, but of course stairs would be a problem.

Our apartment is right by Odeon station. Would it be easier to switch from RER at St Michel to the metro? Or just come our of the RER at St Michel and take the 5min walk to Odeon? Not sure if there is a direct connection between St Michel RER and Odeon metron station. And the path to the connections may be a challenge, too..
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Not to pile on, but are you folks going to a costume ball as knights in armor?

I just can't imagine why two people would need over 101 pounds of clothing for a 15 day trip in Europe. My wife dresses smartly, and she will make do quite nicely for 18 days this May with a 21" carry on, plus a rather largish carryall/purse.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Oh my gosh, reading this thread brings back awful memories. I've been to Paris several times and have always negotiated the metro easily. On our last visit, DH and I laid over a night at CDG so we could go into Paris for dinner. Negotiating the switch from the RER to the metro at St. Michel was a total nightmare, and it wasn't even rush hour. A Parisian woman tried to help figure out the route, but even she was stymied. Don't even ask about the return trip, going from the metro to the RER at St. Michel. Who knew that the metro closes on that route before midnight on Sunday night? We just missed being dumped off along the RER route in neighborhoods that looked pretty unsavory. I'm definitely not an alarmist, but heads up. Please don't try this with luggage. And plan carefully!
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Who told you it will take you 5 minutes to walk from St Michel RER stop to Odeon metro stop? I doubt it, it's about 800 meters or a half mile. I take longer to walk that even when I am not dragging luggage, under normal casual walking speeds. So you are doing a ten minute mile? right